H1 vs. LC200n...Real World Observations

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
npad69

Re: H1 vs. LC200n...Real World Observations

Post by npad69 »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:23 pm
Hey guys, I posted this over in the "No sharpening November" thread but thought it might be worth posting in this thread too.

https://youtu.be/DGnOnAtwSNw
you are preaching to the choir mr, gringo, excellent video sir!
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

That is very impressive how fast that went from dull to sharp. Any tests on the serrated version?
CanaBrit

Post by CanaBrit »

Surfingringo wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:08 pm
I haven’t tested either to their limits as far as toughness goes but I can tell you that the edge on Lc200n will definitely roll before it chips. It’s higher hardness/greater strength though means it will roll less easily than H1. I would assume that same hardness would mean it’s not quite as crazy tough as H1. I think I remember seeing Jazz bend an H1 blade in half without breaking. I doubt you could do that with Lc200n but I’d still probably rate it tougher than the majority of cutlery steels we’re using today.
I can tell you that I did test its limits... by accident (Caribbean SE). Cut through some #10 cable, maybe #8... I thought the core was a lot smaller. lol.
Anyway, it deformed the hollow of one of the 'teeth' and rolled the point over next to it. Cut through the copper though.
I'd say it took about 30 seconds on a sharpmaker rod to put an edge back on. Its not the same shape as it was before, but no big deal really. Nothing chipped, it seems to roll & deform first.

After seeing how thick the copper was, I don't think I could have found a worse test for the blade. I don't think anything would have cut through without damaging the edge. So I'm happy it didn't chip at all.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Wow that is heavy copper for a knife to get through!