We need an Ark wharnie

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Ark wharniesfoot?

Yep
92%
Nope
No votes
Other?
8%

Total votes: 25

Evil D

We need an Ark wharnie

Post by Evil D »

Real simple, just drop the blade down to a wharnie/sheepsfoot in line with the handle and call it done. I'll buy two. H1 is fine, both edge types please.

Forgive my primitive photoshop skills :o
Last edited by Evil D on Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
mb1

Re: We need an Ark wharnie

Post by mb1 »

Cool. Sort of Son of Ronin.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I think this would be a great idea.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Yep for me. I like it.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Count me in for one too.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

This is an EASY one! Yes! Been wanting that variant from the time I bought the original. A natural choice. But I want it in LC200n if it is PE.
JT

Post by JT »

Yes, Bring it allready! :D
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

In
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I like it!

Seems like a good direction to take this knife, as its already a self defense knife!
-Nick :bug-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

Already got one ;)

The Ark honestly needs a 2.0 IMO. It was a model I expected to love and EDC, instead I never carry mine.

- Do away with the hump completely. It does nothing but get in the way of putting your thumb on the spine.

- Completely re-design the sheath. Even with the second sheath revision, mine is not secure. This is the main reason I don't carry mine. I can pull it straight out of the sheath without even touching the release tab. This was the case prior to any modding as well, so it is not due to that.

- I think a wharncliffe version would be great. I really like the blade shape of the Ark, but with how small it is, when trying to use it for utility cuts things want to slip off towards the belly. On a knife the size of the street beat that shape works, but something the size of the Ark would work better for utility with less belly. Doesn't have to be a full wharny, even something shaped more like the Ladybug would be better IMO.

I adore the FRN/H1 construction, the ultra light weight and the very reasonable price point. With a few tweaks this couldbe THE edc fixed blade IMO. As it stands it's a knife I tried to mod to like more, but probably won't ever cary until I get around to making my own sheath.

I'll most likely give the SE a shot as a Christmas present to myself. It's a knife I really want to like. It's so light, and the material selection is my favorite. Maybe the serrations will help with things slipping off the edge.
:unicorn
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

^^ I agree 100% about getting rid of the hump, especially on such a small knife.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm all for doing away with the hump, I just wasn't trying to ask for an entirely different knife. In truth I'd completely rather have a Spyderco-ized version of the Fusion One instead.

http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... =5&t=80546
~David
KnickKnackCity

Post by KnickKnackCity »

Homerun of an idea David. I am a big fan of this design.

I say keep the hump but lets get some jimping on the choil and thumb ramp. I really like my gf's ARK, but feel it needs some added traction for a fixed that small. Especially in wet environments, which at least partially inspired the design.
dogrunner wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:39 pm
But I want it in LC200n if it is PE.
Agreed. I am okay with paying a few extra bucks to get the added edge retention.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd also like to see PE in a different steel.

I'm the contrarian that feels PE H1 has perfectly good edge retention. My Aqua Salt and Pacific Salt in PE have always held an edge well enough to get me through a work day / camping trip. But my PE Ark had terrible edge retention, even comparing it to those other PE H1 knives. The Ark had edge retention like most folks describe H1 PE, which has always been short of my experience with it.
Evil D wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:48 pm
I'm all for doing away with the hump, I just wasn't trying to ask for an entirely different knife. In truth I'd completely rather have a Spyderco-ized version of the Fusion One instead.

http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... =5&t=80546
I asked Mr. Janich is Spyderco had any interest in producing that model, and he said no. I'd love to see them do that with thin H1 with an FRN handle molded directly to the tang like they did with the Ark.
:unicorn
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I voted yes because of the way a wharncliffe will force a cut down deeper if using it for defense. However, it will also remove the extra cutting edge. The intent of the knife was to give as much edge as possible in a small knife.

This is why I do not have an ARK:

This knife has been around for a long time. Full tang, cheap, and it works great. (Notice the locking tab on the sheath?)
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I have only sold one Spyderco in my life, the ARK :confused:

I liked its shape, the steel is my favorite, and the sheath was excellent on mine (totally flat and lightweight, no retention issues) :cool:

To me due to its slim profile, low weight and steel it was the quintessential neck knife
But I didn't use it because: :o

- I want H1 to be in SE, always, especially for a knife that small with such a small edge length to wear out and dull (I bought it as soon as it was released, before they planned a SE version)

- Too big of a curve, things slipped off of it regularly, unlike my Minimalist Wharncliffe (and like it happened with my Minimalist Bowie) :mad:

- The hump with the hole, useless, got in the way, it got filled with food every time :(

So it didn't do what I wanted it to do (first time to happen with a Spyderco) so I got rid of it.
Now, I'd be in for a SE, no-hump wharnified ARK for sure, I wanted to like and use mine :spyder:
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:11 am
I voted yes because of the way a wharncliffe will force a cut down deeper if using it for defense. However, it will also remove the extra cutting edge. The intent of the knife was to give as much edge as possible in a small knife.

This is why I do not have an ARK:

This knife has been around for a long time. Full tang, cheap, and it works great. (Notice the locking tab on the sheath?)

I have this knife, and it sucks for ergos. I never use it.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ThePeacent wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:46 am

- Too big of a curve, things slipped off of it regularly, unlike my Minimalist Wharncliffe (and like it happened with my Minimalist Bowie) :mad:

The curve would probably be fine if the blade had a more negative angle. Being angled upwards and having lots of belly means you really need to tweak your wrist a lot to get the point down on something. I'd rather it had about as much belly as a Dragonfly and a more negative angle.
~David
renegador

Post by renegador »

I would actually own an ARK if it came as a Wharnie... As is, I just can't get into it. I'd love to see an updated blade like this, or even a simple leaf would be ok by me for a minimalist option.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Nope. Not interested. I think the ARK is a finely designed last-ditch self defense weapon, not something meant for utility, food prep or general screwing around. I might like a bit of jimping on the “hump”. Don’t know never having held one. I would get the serrated SE version.

Watching Shirley’s short video on how the ARK can be used in those emergency self defense scenarios I think it would be extremely edfective if you could get it into play. Of course, that is true of any weapon.

Thinking of the ARK as anything other than what it designed for is to miss the point.

I like it and may someday get a SE version.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation