Down to the Essentials

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

Down to the Essentials

Post by MichaelScott »

I need to get down to the essential Spyderco rotation for me. So, now that I have my Polestar (the “big knife”) I need to reduce my so-called collection. Looking at what I actually and regularly carry I think it’s going to be carrying at the minimum a small knife and perhaps the “big one” when it is appropriate. So, here’s where I’m headed:
- Dragonfly 2
- Rhino
- Ploestar

I’m considering an ARK SE because of my situation. Might be a good “final resort” should it come to that. Probably won’t, but… So, if I’m heading into sketchy territory like Denver, I could have it along with one of my others. Maybe I’m being over cautious but maybe not. Or perhaps this is my way to rationalize yet another Spyderco? Probably.

Any comments are certainly welcome.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
abbazaba

Re: Down to the Essentials

Post by abbazaba »

Good luck. DF2 is possibly all I really "need", but what fun is that? :p
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Why not always carry the “big” knife? I carried one knife for 10 years. Anything more than one is just for fun, and imho it’s better to just admit that to yourself.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

What are your other knives again?
Getting rid if knives is either super releasing or so regrettable
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Here are some musings about my knives, maybe it will help, maybe it won't. These are the spyderco knives I currently own:
My carry rotation is constantly changing but for me right now my 3 knives I carry the most are my Lil Native compression lock while at the office, Para 3 after work, and Alcyone on the weekends.
My native 5 g10, caly 3.5, and endura 4 rarely ever get carried. They are certainly next on the proverbial chopping block.
The sprint Worker sits in my drawer, a gift from my husband that I don't edc.
The FRN Cricket I modified into a sheepsfoot and 2 Frankenstein Ladybugs I bladeswapped get carried occasionally for novelty's sake.
The FRN Squarehead and Spydercard are my newest knives and I really enjoy those collaborations and appreciate and respect the men who designed them.
The old Executive I got from ebay has a lock spring so rusted it barely locks and it sits in the drawer too.
The Clipitool Standard sits in the kitchen drawer relegated to bottle and can opening duties. Handy tool indeed.
The 2 Delicas stand guard in my bike pouch and car console.
The Clipitool Rescue also sits ready in the car console.
The Mule and Serrated Utility knife serve me well in the kitchen they are mainstays on the magnetic knife strip.

I have owned a lot of Spyderco knives because my preferences are constantly changing. In my opinion it is better to own a few that you absolutely love or have a use for than to have a bunch that you don't really like. I hate clutter by nature and fear becoming a hoarder because it runs in my family lol.
Sorry for the wall of text!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
vivi

Post by vivi »

What does the rhyno do the dragonfly can't? or vice versa?

If you're getting down to the essentials it's rare you'll need two knives. Sure a hawkbill works better to open packages than a drop point, and se cuts rope better than pe, but you're probably spending less than five minutes each day opening packages and cutting rope. You don't need a special knife for that.

I can get by with just a Pacific Salt. Everything else is fluff / convenience. Aqua Salts are a little easier to keep clean for a weekend camping trip, but a Pacific Salt would still cut anything I need to cut.
:unicorn
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

What? What about the one eyed jack?
Heading for the door?
Don’t say it’s so.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:37 pm
Here are some musings about my knives, maybe it will help, maybe it won't. These are the spyderco knives I currently own:
My carry rotation is constantly changing but for me right now my 3 knives I carry the most are my Lil Native compression lock while at the office, Para 3 after work, and Alcyone on the weekends.
My native 5 g10, caly 3.5, and endura 4 rarely ever get carried. They are certainly next on the proverbial chopping block.
The sprint Worker sits in my drawer, a gift from my husband that I don't edc.
The FRN Cricket I modified into a sheepsfoot and 2 Frankenstein Ladybugs I bladeswapped get carried occasionally for novelty's sake.
The FRN Squarehead and Spydercard are my newest knives and I really enjoy those collaborations and appreciate and respect the men who designed them.
The old Executive I got from ebay has a lock spring so rusted it barely locks and it sits in the drawer too.
The Clipitool Standard sits in the kitchen drawer relegated to bottle and can opening duties. Handy tool indeed.
The 2 Delicas stand guard in my bike pouch and car console.
The Clipitool Rescue also sits ready in the car console.
The Mule and Serrated Utility knife serve me well in the kitchen they are mainstays on the magnetic knife strip.

I have owned a lot of Spyderco knives because my preferences are constantly changing. In my opinion it is better to own a few that you absolutely love or have a use for than to have a bunch that you don't really like. I hate clutter by nature and fear becoming a hoarder because it runs in my family lol.
Sorry for the wall of text!
Thanks for sharing. For over a month now I have left most of my knives in the safe, using only the ones that I decided to take on a the first couple camping trips of the season. The results were interesting because I rarely missed the others. However, when I went through them again last night I couldn't picture myself selling many more of them. I'm either a hoarder by nature, or just enjoy variety in good knife design/materials. The essentials?
  • PM2 in M4 is still my favorite user out of the office. I never feel under gunned and it's so great at most everything. I find it easy to keep stupid sharp, and am rarely afraid of damaging it.
  • In the office the Delica Pakkawood has been a favorite for majority of the past year, but because I didn't bring it camping, lately it's been my first Spyderco purchase, the orange DF2 which I brought on the trip. I'm not really a pocket food prep guy, so the DF2 is perfect for my office existence.
I hate to call the rest "fluff", but I guess you could. The Police4 saw a lot of use this week, and I enjoyed using the OG Manix2 Cruwear last weekend. The Bowie is still one of my all time favorites, but since it has been discontinued and I don't have a backup I've been afraid to carry it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If I preferred small knives and already had a soft spot for the Dragonfly, I think my one knife would probably be the Dragonfly Salt SE. If you're really going to wear the Ark around your neck and you're comfortable with that setup then it may be just as fine and I believe gives a tad more edge than a Dragonfly.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

SF Native wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:04 am
What? What about the one eyed jack?
Heading for the door?
Don’t say it’s so.
That one stays regardless. Personal value.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
jdw

Post by jdw »

I have significantly downsized over the last year or so myself. I now only keep my Cat in 440c, a Hawkbill Dfly, 52100 Millie, ZDP Endura, and my always faithful GB1. I have found that if I need a folding knife those will pretty much take care of it all. Fixed blades are a whole different issue and I personally dislike wearing knives around my neck. If you really are in a situation that you feel that you need a last resort blade then my advice is to not go to that place. Just FWIW.
Last edited by jdw on Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:41 am
If I preferred small knives and already had a soft spot for the Dragonfly, I think my one knife would probably be the Dragonfly Salt SE. If you're really going to wear the Ark around your neck and you're comfortable with that setup then it may be just as fine and I believe gives a tad more edge than a Dragonfly.
Probably not. In my wheel chair at the hospital today it would have been a bit more accessible but probably not so useable for me. Thanks though for your opinion.

Team Innovation
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:23 pm

If you're getting down to the essentials it's rare you'll need two knives. Sure a hawkbill works better to open packages than a drop point, and se cuts rope better than pe, but you're probably spending less than five minutes each day opening packages and cutting rope. You don't need a special knife for that.

I can get by with just a Pacific Salt. Everything else is fluff / convenience. Aqua Salts are a little easier to keep clean for a weekend camping trip, but a Pacific Salt would still cut anything I need to cut.
For me, design and esthetics are also important. There is nothing functuoally “wrong” with either knife. I prefer the Rhino to the DF. They both work fine but differently.

Team Innovation
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I commend you on getting your collection down to the functional few-
Personally- I like the polestar in BD1, a PM2 in S30v, a Manix in whatever basic steel they come in etc as the big knife- something you can do stupid stuff round the house like cutting carpet and not get precious about the steel.

As for the Rhino and Dfly I think they kinda fill the same niche- I think the rhino edges out the Dfly as yes it’s kinda ridiculous but it’s nice, finished well and probably makes you smile- it’s just a little knife- should make you smile too I think.

So I say ditch the Dfly and get say a delica or a native- something between the two previously mentioned guys- I take my 3” guys fishing a fair bit and find them to be very useful in that area.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

The Pacific Salt is currently the only “essential” pocket knife I own. That doesn’t stop me from enjoying all the others though.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Also, I think if the polestar is your big knife then you are missing a “mid-size”. Maybe a Delica or a Caly 3?
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Surfingringo wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:47 pm
Also, I think if the polestar is your big knife then you are missing a “mid-size”. Maybe a Delica or a Caly 3?
A few decades ago when I lived much differently, that might have been better but now days, it seems plenty big for me. I’d probably have had a Military around the farm.

Team Innovation
vivi

Post by vivi »

MichaelScott wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:16 pm
Vivi wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:23 pm

For me, design and esthetics are also important. There is nothing functuoally “wrong” with either knife. I prefer the Rhino to the DF. They both work fine but differently.
If you're holding on to a knife for aesthetics, I wouldn't call that getting down to the essentials ;)
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

But, I would. Why would I want a knife that didn’t speak to me, that didn’t give me pleasure to hold it, use it, feel it? Might as well get a cheap (insert name of cheap but “essential” knife here).

Team Innovation
vivi

Post by vivi »

MichaelScott wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:57 pm
But, I would. Why would I want a knife that didn’t speak to me, that didn’t give me pleasure to hold it, use it, feel it? Might as well get a cheap (insert name of cheap but “essential” knife here).
Guess we define essential differently then.