Down to the Essentials

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Down to the Essentials

Post by Evil D »

I do value function over form but I also work hard for my money so if I can have both I certainly feel better about my purchase. There are certainly options that would likely work great for me but I find them hideous to look at so I've passed on them.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
harronek

Post by harronek »

Even though I own a number of different Spyderco's I've narrowed my choice down to one knife for 99% of my carry .
I just happen to own of few of that one knife to choose from .

Ken
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Love it!
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Essentials is a very personal concept, especially with knives. I realize, that for me, it is actually a matter of what I do, not really what I think or can rationalize to get another knife. So, as I have been spending a lot of time back and forth from our 800 people town and Denver I took stock of what I was carrying with me consistently: 9 mm of course and always the Rhino and with it my Polestar. My other Spydies stay home.

I don’t do any kind of rotation. I seem to always reach for the same two knives now days. So, looks like two will do. And, if I lose one, I will just get another. If I fear it will not be in production I will grab a spare if I can.

I know this isn’t for most folks, but somehow I really feel good about it. I can look at, read about and deeply appreciate other models and steels, but I don’t have to have one.

Thanks for your previous comments on this thread
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I'm an Endura guy. I own and like a lot of other knives, but my EDC is an Endura, and I could probably get along fine with just that. I don't mind a small collection of various knives though, as long as things don't get out of hand. I think we've all seen the cautionary tales.

Lately I've been branching out to all the variants that use the same handle. Have the Pacific Salt and two Spyderhawks; looking to pick up a Glock Endura and a Matriarch.

Might even chop one of the pre-need replacements down to under 3" for those places that think knives are the problem. I have a Kahr Delica, but the handle is just too small for real comfort. But that's why we have our favorites.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Be awesome and keep a Chappy
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Daveho wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:50 am
Be awesome and keep a Chappy
Great knives. I’ve had a couple, including the FRN which I preferred. Knives are so individual that the Chaparral is certainly one of my favorite Spydercos, but we never totally hit it off. If I was still back in the corporate world (and off the **** airplanes) I would most likely carry that one.

Where I live, Colorado no less, the Endura is a bit over the blade length limit so I’ve not had one. Been tempted, but no. Why create potential legal issues and help fund another Porsche for a lawyer?

And, being a teeny bit more awesome than a Chappy owner, I keep a Rhino. ;)

Team Innovation
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

MichaelScott wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:49 pm
Surfingringo wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:47 pm
Also, I think if the polestar is your big knife then you are missing a “mid-size”. Maybe a Delica or a Caly 3?
A few decades ago when I lived much differently, that might have been better but now days, it seems plenty big for me. I’d probably have had a Military around the farm.
No no, I wasn't implying that you needed something bigger. I was simply saying that if you identify the polestar as your big knife and the Dfly as small then you might want something in-between like a Delica or Caly 3. At the end of the day we are just trying to provide you (and ourselves) a marginally rational excuse to buy another knife you like. :p
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

harronek wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:52 pm
Even though I own a number of different Spyderco's I've narrowed my choice down to one knife for 99% of my carry .
I just happen to own of few of that one knife to choose from .

Ken
My man.

MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Yeah, I saw your devious attempt to screw around with my admittedly narrow definition of “essential”. Believe me, I do a pretty good job with that myself. Being here, on this forum, hanging out with enablers means what you think it means. I just have to slow down for a while. (Last night, I was thinking (scheming?) hey, what if I did a 30-day ARK SE everyday carry test. I mean, Spyderedge, H1, new stuff for me. Yeah, that makes perfect sense.)

Sick, sick, sick.

Team Innovation