Considering a Native5 lightweight. Does it have liners? Any advice on this knife? Thanx...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
lonerider1013

Considering a Native5 lightweight. Does it have liners? Any advice on this knife? Thanx...

Post by lonerider1013 »

Considering a Native 5 Lightweight... but only if the handle has liners. Does it? Any advice on this knife? Thanks.

Lonerider
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
knivesandbooks

Re: Considering a Native5 lightweight. Does it have liners? Any advice on this knife? Thanx...

Post by knivesandbooks »

No liners but it is plenty strong. If you MUST have liners go with a delica or Endura. Still, liners not necessary.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
steelcity16

Re: Considering a Native5 lightweight. Does it have liners? Any advice on this knife? Thanx...

Post by steelcity16 »

lonerider1013 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:03 pm
Considering a Native 5 Lightweight... but only if the handle has liners. Does it? Any advice on this knife? Thanks.

Lonerider

No liners. Doesnt need them. Super strong. Feels more solid than my Seki FRN knives. The Native LW is my favorite Spyderco. I have 4 of them and will continue to buy them as new ones are released. It is as close to the perfect EDC knife as I have found. I have or have had at one point the majority of the Golden and Seki folders and the Native LW is my personal favorite. Don't hesitate! I would recommend the Cutlery Shoppe exclusive orange / S90V DLC as it is a great steel, looks awesome, and is an exclusive so it will be an easier sale if for some reason you dont enjoy it.

I just wish it came in my favorite steels like Cruwear, 52100, M4, H1, 3V, and 4V. Cant wait for LC200N!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

I just ask as I was under the impression w/out liners it was not strong enuff. But I do like the look of the thing and the better blade steel... Thanks.

Have you used one of these long?
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

LC200N!!! I'll be waiting for this one.

Never had the lightweight, but the Native 5 is a fantastic knife. For current variants, S110V for sure.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I found it underwhelming. Felt unremarkable, action was subpar compared to other similars like DF2 which is saying something..
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

lonerider1013 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:12 pm
I just ask as I was under the impression w/out liners it was not strong enuff. But I do like the look of the thing and the better blade steel... Thanks.

Have you used one of these long?

Strong enough for what? What kind of tasks will you be using it for?

I EDC one daily and I havent really run in to a situation where Ive found it to be lacking.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i prefer the manix 2 lw, but the native lw is probably second in line. if you want liners, you can probably still get a g10 version with them. i didn't find the g10 version to be too heavy in pocket and most of the weight is in your hand when you're holding the knife. it definitely feels overbuilt though. i think the lightweight is plenty strong. (disclaimer: i've not owned one yet - still waiting for lc200n - but i handled them both in the store for a while to compare them to my manix 2 lw.)
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
guywithopinion

Post by guywithopinion »

Older stock regular weight Natives will have liners. And the S110V version will continue to.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Go for it. FRN/FRCP is nearly indestructible.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
awa54

Post by awa54 »

The N5 LW is a very solid feeling knife. no flex or other hint that it's linerless. My only grumble is that the blade is thick behind the edge compared to almost any other knife you can think of that weighs only 2.5oz. And yes, the handle scales are rugged enough to let you make use of the stout blade.
lonerider1013 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:12 pm
I just ask as I was under the impression w/out liners it was not strong enuff.
If by "strong enuff" you mean "as strong as a Spyderco Enuff", then you're correct ;) ...but not much else is as strong as an Enuff!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Daveho wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:14 pm
I found it underwhelming. Felt unremarkable, action was subpar compared to other similars like DF2 which is saying something..
Hmm...I've actually found it to be pretty much opposite. Excluding the Chap LW, the action on my black S35VN N5LW is better than any of my other FRN back lock models. My other N5 LWs have been similar. Have you had this experience with more than one N5LW?
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:13 pm
Daveho wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:14 pm
Hmm...I've actually found it to be pretty much opposite. Excluding the Chap LW, the action on my black S35VN N5LW is better than any of my other FRN back lock models. My other N5 LWs have been similar. Have you had this experience with more than one N5LW?
Nope-
Bought one- it sucked but was in specs so I sold it and moved on.
I might try a maxamet or Something down the road but not the the now standard s30v.
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Well it's like this... a while ago got a Benchmade Northfork folding "hunt series" as "the perfect one knife". It was a great EDC, just under 3 inch blade, s30v steel, light, smooth as butter. But.... so expensive I was scared to carry it. I bike a lot and the idea of falling on that side and mashing up the knife, eh.

Also though the axis lock is great, I've become partial to Spyderholes...

The native is "only" fifty bucks less than the Northfork but has same steel a spydeyhole and is made in the U.S. (No offense to our overseas forumites, but as an American that's a selling point for me, or at least can be).

Anyhow, always wanted a native, it's a toss up between that and a second delica for me.

As to strong enough, I rarely abuse a knife, no prying, etc. I just had bad experiences years ago with plastic handled unlined knifes, cheapos that broke. The Delica frn was the first "plastic" knife that felt good to me, it's more a mental security thing than a likelihood of failure. I cut packing material, food, maybe some light wood shaving or carving, etc. I'm not gonna be batoning logs or fighting off Jim Bowie with it...
hackzogan

Post by hackzogan »

A native 5 lw would be more than strong enough for your needs, as you have described them above. I would definitely try the knife out. I love mine and carry it with me anytime I want a light carry. It's a stout blade for the size and weight.
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

If you like the Ambitious as indicated by your other thread, you might want to just try the Native G10 S110V. I've been using one for over a month now (along with a Tenacious) and I am extremely happy with it. A couple weeks ago I got to play with a Native LW, and I'm glad I went with the G10/steel. There's a huge fanbase for the FRN models, and I'm sure their good reputation is deserved, but they're definitely not for me.

I don't think that you should have to justify a desire for a stronger tool, even if you don't have any tangible need for more strength. The LW may be "strong enough", but it's not as strong as G10/steel. You should also consider the fact that the G10 has phosphor bronze washers, while the LW tang just rides on raised rings molded into the FRN. They feel like very different knives, and the G10 feels much better IMO.