I need a new PM2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZMW

I need a new PM2

Post by ZMW »

Another advice on what to buy post. Sorry!

I have the base PM2 s30v. Had it about 2 years. Love the knife, but want to try a different steel, so I will sell mine and get a new one. Question is, which one to buy.

I missed the boat on the Rex45, that was my first choice. It is sold out everywhere. Next, I have a Cruwear smooth G10 on pre order but am second guessing if the steel will really be that different then s30v. Everyone sings the praises of cruwear, but on the zknives chart they look fairly similar. Lastly, S110v. I know edge retention it is king with Maxamet.

My needs are a weekend EDC and camping folder. I do not need maximum edge retention for this knife, I would prefer good edge retention and maybe something that is a little more "fun" then S30v. Stainless is not a priority. So, S110v does not seem like the right choice.

Cruwear? Or hold out and wait and see if Rex45 becomes available again? Or, is there anything else about to drop like M390, etc?

My sharpening skills are avg, but improving. I currently have:

PMA11 and 9cr18mov mules
ZDP stretch
Pac salt SE
Delica VG10
Urban lw K390
DF2 Salt SE
Assist VG10

And, my last edit to this post. Since I have a stretch and pac salt, that size group is pretty full. I was considering trying out a Millie, Rex 45. But, my normal EDC is in the office, so small blades. I love the compression lock and size of the PM2. So, I am worried the Millie is overkill for me. I have medium sized hands and the PM2 fits very well. But, i was kicking tires on that. Like usual, a little concerned if I will like the liner lock and the size of the handle. Again, weekend EDC and camping, so maybe give the Millie a shot? That would be my most expensive blade to date...

Thanks Guys!
Last edited by ZMW on Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
termite

Re: I need a new PM2

Post by termite »

Good News!!... I don't think the Rex has landed yet. You're still in! Look around and watch for it.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Ya REX will be at multiple dealers when it drops, but you will have to be quick about it and steel is a bit of an unknown.

I highly recommend the KW CF M4 PM2 while they are available. The Golden peel ply CF makes for a great in hand feel, looks different and is lighter than G10, and M4 is definitely more "fun" than S30v: https://www.knifeworks.com/spyderco-c81 ... usive.html

The Cruwear model you have on order will be fun too :)
Last edited by abbazaba on Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Rex PM2 has not been released yet, it's your lucky day lol
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

abbazaba wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:21 pm
Ya REX will be at multiple dealers, but is a bit of an unknown.

I highly recommend the KW CF M4 PM2 while they are available. The Golden peel ply CF makes for a great in hand feel, looks different and is lighter than G10, and M4 is definitely more "fun" than S30v: https://www.knifeworks.com/spyderco-c81 ... usive.html

That looks like an amazing knife! I was trying to stay around the $150 ballpark, and willing to stretch it to $180 or so if I really need to. Another $30 is no big deal, but I have never bought a $200+ knife before. Intimidating. But, I agree that knife looks great. I will consider it!
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

What are your priorities in a steel? Sometimes minute differences in the steel composition make for incredibly different steels.

As an EDC steel, CTS XHP is one of my personal favorites and Cruwear is right there with it. Good balance of being easy enough to sharpen while having good enough toughness and the edge retention I require.

52100 is a high maintenance non-stainless steel but you can get it incredibly sharp easily and it's a great steel for use.

M4 is also one of the very best because it has incredibly high edge retention, good toughness, and takes a nice edge. You can get it in G-10 or carbon fiber so that really differentiates it from your normal production version.

There's an S90V forum knife coming out shortly that has a unique handle, as well. While you were going a different route, it would be a unique enough knife to add to your collection.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

abbazaba wrote:

Yep, the Knifeworks PM2 M4 is fantastic, can’t recommend it highly enough, and M4 has enough corrosion resistance to make it not a chore to keep clear. Mind you, it still needs some care, but it seems like you’re ok with that. Regarding the peel-ply carbon fiber, I initially thought I would not care for it too much and was planning on getting a set of Flytanium CF to switch out, but it turns out that the peel-ply CF is quite nice and grippy, and I like it much more than I thought I would. You might consider that model!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

Cujobob wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:24 pm
What are your priorities in a steel? Sometimes minute differences in the steel composition make for incredibly different steels.

As an EDC steel, CTS XHP is one of my personal favorites and Cruwear is right there with it. Good balance of being easy enough to sharpen while having good enough toughness and the edge retention I require.

52100 is a high maintenance non-stainless steel but you can get it incredibly sharp easily and it's a great steel for use.

M4 is also one of the very best because it has incredibly high edge retention, good toughness, and takes a nice edge. You can get it in G-10 or carbon fiber so that really differentiates it from your normal production version.

There's an S90V forum knife coming out shortly that has a unique handle, as well. While you were going a different route, it would be a unique enough knife to add to your collection.
52100 might be a little too high maintenance for me, but non stainless is ok. For the price point I never really understood 52100, but I never tried it either. I am thinking something in the range of M4, Rex 45 is possible, Cruwear. Not opposed to S90V at all either, but I did not see that as an option.

Trying to keep the price point in check as best I can as well...
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

ZMW wrote:
abbazaba wrote:

That looks like an amazing knife! I was trying to stay around the $150 ballpark, and willing to stretch it to $180 or so if I really need to. Another $30 is no big deal, but I have never bought a $200+ knife before. Intimidating. But, I agree that knife looks great. I will consider it!
Well, you mention M390 and the Military... the KW Exclusive 204p Military happens to be $180 right now :) I prefer the PM2 personally, but you should definitely try the Military at some point, and I think many would agree that this is a great deal. Just FYI. I still vote M4 PM2 (CF or Jade) via BF Exchange to save a couple bucks.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Good news is that PM2 will always come out in new or re-released steel. Bad news is that all the popular ones are currently out of stock... except the M4 from KW.

If you need instant gratification and don't mind the price tag, you won't be disappointed with the KnifeWorks CF PM2 with M4. If I didn't get the BHQ PM2 M4 previously, I would definitely get the KW one.

If there is some patience available, wait for the REX 45. Stores that take pre-orders may be sold out, but all the others sell them first come, first served basis.

Military should definitely be a consideration.

Peter
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

Nice pics, I appreciate it!
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

ZMW wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:59 pm
Nice pics, I appreciate it!
@ZMW: if you hold off and save for the CF M4, in my opinion, it's worth every penny. :)
Attachments
2018-01-22 20.32.08.jpg
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

Did KW ever make a green 204p PM2? The Millie is tempting. **** these choices!
anycal

Post by anycal »

Yes on the 204P. Would like to see a re-release of this combo - steel and color.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?tit ... a-Military
Peter
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

Do you guys bounce back and forth between 20 options before you pull the trigger as well? I am usually pretty decisive, but this is getting kind of funny how many times my checkout cart at KC and KW has shifted.
Forest Green

Post by Forest Green »

Cujobob wrote:

Am very interested in a s90V PM2, but am not familiar with what a "forum knife" is, anybody know about this, or could share a link?
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Forest Green wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:53 pm
Cujobob wrote:

Am very interested in a s90V PM2, but am not familiar with what a "forum knife" is, anybody know about this, or could share a link?

http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... =2&t=79823

Under Announcements on this forum. It has a picture, pricing, and sign up info.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Steel composition on a graph tells only a small fraction of what there is to know about any given alloy... CruWear is a fantastic balance of toughness, edge retention, ease of sharpening and corrosion resistance, you won't be disappointed!

If you like a long lasting working edge, but don't need a very polished/refined edge then S110V is great and a bit easier to sharpen than S90V... Plus the translucent purple/blue scales are awesome (IMO).

If you don't find the PacSalt to be a pocket buster then you'll probably like the Millie, it's very light for such a large blade and at least for me doesn't feel as large in pocket as a Manix. As liner locks go it's very solid, I've never found myself worrying about lock security and mine gets used for weed and brush trimming pretty often.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

anycal wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:43 pm
I thought that was a crazy steep grind on that PM2 until I realized there was a military beneath it!
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

You know, I have been carrying my "good old" S30V PM2 lately and it really is a great knife and a great steel. Now that I have a Goldenstone, I quickly touched it up and it is pleasingly sharp and seems to be holding that edge really well. Not much to complain about and a darn good knife.