Spyderco Ambitious review

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
lonerider1013

Spyderco Ambitious review

Post by lonerider1013 »

Spyderco Ambitious review… sort of
If (in my albeit limited experience so far with Spydercos) the Byrd line is a good budget offering and the Delica(4) is a great no frills Everyday knife, what is the Ambitious?
Simply put, it’s the best inexpensive Small Knife Spyderco. At 2.25 inches, the blade is similar to that of my CRKT Squid, a short, squat, robust knife I EDC’d for years, because it was a small yet sturdy knife that was both inoffensive to the easily frightened, and still had enough blade to be effective for many everyday tasks, and was definitely sturdy enough. In fact, the overall approach to the knife seems similar, except for one thing: Spyderco just did it better.
There were three problems with the Squid, for me anyway; 1) no reversible pocket clip, 2) it was heavy (especially for its tiny size) and 3) the thumb studs were hard to open especially given how tiny it was.
The Ambitious solves all these problems; the spyderhole is, as usual, since I tried it, the easiest non-assist, non-flipper type of opening for me. The knife has not only a reversible (left and right) pocket clip, but a four-position one. And with its full flat ground blade and open-back design, skeletonized liners, and G10 handle scales, it is far lighter in the hand and the pocket.
I liked the Squid enough that I got two, when I carried it daily. Will the same hold true for the Spyderco Ambitious? I’m already thinking yes, if not more so.
Overall impressions:
First, the knife is solid and well-made despite being made in China. Lockup is sure and swift, blade centering is spot on, liners and grip are fitted perfectly, and nothing feels off. And unlike some of the Byrd knives (also China-made) which I own, the pocket clip screws are not stuck, so I was able to move the clip to my preferred tip up, left side carry. The knife is surprisingly light given that even though it is short, it is stoutly built, and proportioned.
The 8cr13mov steel (as on the Byrd series) may not be as hard or corrosion resistant as VG-10, but it comes sharp, is easy to touch up, and hasn’t rusted yet on either of my Byrds despite hard use. So far the Ambitious is showing the same quality that belies the entry-level nature of the steel. Speaking of entry level, the knife can be found for around $30, so when you consider what you get, it is light years ahead of many other small or sub-EDC knives.
Normally lefties are kind of screwed with frame or liner locks, inasmuch as they are designed for the lock to be depressed in only one direction – usually with the right hand. This is one of the things I love about “typical” Spyderco knives like the Delica etc. the lockback is centrally positioned and easily operated with either hand. Linerlocks are not as easy to operate lefty; you can do it lefty, but it then means flicking the blade around edge on towards your hand. But the Ambitious is so short, this isn’t a problem. Another place lefties are often out of luck with linerlocks is opening the blade; the liner is cutout in the vicinity of the thumb stud or hole (as in this case) on the right side only. However, although it is not as easy to do it lefty, it isn’t as hard as it could be; Spyderco added a bit of scalloping to the edge of the handle scales on the opposite (left) side. This is probably intended to aid in grip, but makes getting a thumb in the Spyderhole for us southpaws easier.
Really there is only one thing I am not liking about this knife, and that is the lack of a finger groove at the base of the blade, or even a safe spot to put your finger that isn’t a proper groove, as the Delica has. This was probably a deliberate choice by Spyderco; doing so would either increase the overall length of the knife, tweak the handle-blade proportions, or cause them to give up some cutting edge length. In short, long as I can remember not to put my forefinger on the base of the blade, I’m happy with their decision, but it is the one thing that really took getting used to.
Overall, this is probably one of the best budget small knives out there. For most people it’s probably smaller than a normal EDC knife, but that may have advantages too. If you think about it, the best knife isn’t just the one that is best in an abstract sense; at the end of the day the best knife for the task is the one you have on you when you need it. And the small size and nonthreatening looks of the Ambitious make it a knife that can be carried literally anywhere.
For those abiding by the notion, “do not go anywhere without a knife”, this may indeed be the ideal thing to have. Maybe not as an EDC knife, but as a knife to keep in your desk drawer or backpack or toolbox for when you might not be able to carry your normal EDC. It is inexpensive, well made, can be carried pretty much anywhere without being remarked upon by the easily startled, and has enough blade to do many daily tasks.
Of course, this is only my second Spyderco (first was the Delica4), third if you count the CaraCara and Meadowlark by Byrd. I have much to learn, and many more knives to try, but so far this is my favorite small knife!

Lonerider
Last edited by lonerider1013 on Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
rodloos

Re: Spyderco Ambitious review

Post by rodloos »

Thanks for the review.
Spyderco does do a good job even on their "economy" models.

I don't actually have an Ambitious currently - I sold mine to my sister so she could gift it to her son one Christmas, and I haven't got around to replacing it yet. (Don't worry, I do have over 300 other Spydies to keep me company until I do replace it. :) ) I'm thinking I need to order one, along with a Cara Cara which I haven't had a chance to handle yet.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Yep. The Ambitious is one excellent value knife. I suspect the Alyone is a step above but the Ambitious is excellent.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Thanks for the replies, sorry if I missed anything I'm kinda new here.

What would be kicking is if they made a knife with that size and blade shape but with VG-10 and a compression lock...
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

lonerider1013 wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:15 am
Thanks for the replies, sorry if I missed anything I'm kinda new here.

What would be kicking is if they made a knife with that size and blade shape but with VG-10 and a compression lock...
The temperance is g10, comp lock, and s30. Butttt it is $200
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

If I only had money enough, and time...
Lonerider
Draperfish

Post by Draperfish »

I'm a self admitted knife snob, I've been into knives my whole life since I was a kid, my first knife was given to me by my dad when I was in the 2nd grade, it was an old Sodbuster that he had broken the tip off so he dulled the edge (so I wouldn't cut myself) and gave it to me to play with. My first real quality knife was a Spyderco Executive I bought in the early 90's, after that I bought a Benchmade Mini AFCK and that sealed the deal with my obsession , since then I've bought, traded, sold and collected literally hundreds of knives. I can't stand "cheap" knives, my friends at work use gas station junk knives and love them and I'm cool with that, I would never criticize anyone's choice but the least expensive knife I've owned since I can remember is a Delica 4, until today. Since I'm the "knife guy" at work everyone brings there knives to me to sharpen and today a coworker brought me his Tenacious because he dropped it on the concrete and as luck would have it, it landed on the edge and put some pretty good dings in it. I thought it was pretty cool and figured what the heck, at lunch I went by Walmart and picked one up. To say I'm impressed with the fit and finish is an understatement. Lock up is rock solid with absolutely no blade play, the G-10 is nicely finished with no rough edges, the blade finish is beautiful, the liner lock is around 50%, and the action is very smooth. I honestly don't know how they can make a knife of this quality the sells for less than $40 bucks! I've always believed that Spyderco knives are the best "bang for the buck" and the Tenacious reaffirms that. I've already ordered a Persistence, guess now I'm gonna have to get an Ambitious too!
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

^^^don't forget the Resilience, that was a huge eye opener for me, as far as quality per $ that Spyderco could deliver
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

I wish walmarts here had them. There's a knife store sort of near me but it's a long drive. And it's dangerous..to the wallet. I went in there looking for another Delioia today and walked out with a Para 3. Ouch!

I do like the Ambitious a lot though and the fit and finish is quite nice. Spydercos so far are indeed good bang for the buck, so to speak. Also because of its size I use it a lot.