Delica - Why No Forward Finger Choil?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rogatsby

Re: Delica - Why No Forward Finger Choil?

Post by rogatsby »

sal wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:46 pm
Hi Rogatsby,

Welcome to our forum.

The Endura and Delica have been without a finger choil for many years. It's been discussed many times. Some folks just don't want it.

sal
Sal, thank you very much for responding. I understand that some folks don't want it. But I would bet many do want it. In any event, I love the Delica. Just wanted to express an idea on how it could be even improved, although that is based on my personal perspective. The choil just feels so great on the Dragonfly, and I think it would be amazing to have that option on the Delica.

Thanks again for responding.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

ugaarguy wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:17 pm

Maybe it's long enough for your finger, but it certainly isn't long enough for my finger. Like others here. I also find the long ricasso on the delica and endura to be wasted space.

Don’t get me wrong. I absolutely love the UKPK and Urban right now. There are plenty of options with choils for you to choose. Plenty. Try a Byrd Meadowlark.
- best wishes, Jazz.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I like my Delica the way I’ve got it set up. A nice set of custom micarta scales that I further customized by removing the oddly spaced finger groove. I do see the ricasso could be replaced with a choil but agree the handle would the feel a bit awkward. Boomer has shown that it works without a big expensive redesign however so perhaps Spyderco might entertain the idea of a Delica “choil edition” or something, since they were willing to do the wharnie version...
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

rogatsby wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:23 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:09 am
No choil on the Delica, ever. No way, no how. However, if you want a similar knife with one, find a good Caly3 (which I wish had no choil, though I love the knife).
Just curious. Why are you opposed to a choil? What are the downsides of having one in your opinion? I ask because for me, it's just an additional feature, and would not take anything away.
Because it uses up significant handle space and when you are actually using a knife, the fit of the handle is very important for comfort and control. You can have a short blade and long handle and be fine, but if you have a short handle, no matter how long the blade it will be a problem. Another issue is that choils take up cutting edge length. I want enough unsharpened space on the blade that in case the lock fails it will not cut my finger, but I do not want too short of a cutting edge. (a large folder like the Military, with its rounded choil is fine. Choils on a small knife are not good for me).

Now, take a look at the Delica. What you see is a long handle that fits most hands very well. The blade is only 2.95 inches or so. It is about right all the way around, proportionally. You can still get a full four fingers on the knife and have great comfort and control. Also, it has a guard that keeps your finger from sliding forward onto the very sharp blade.

Look at the Native 5. The actual handle is too small. You must use the choil (or at least I have to do so) and there is no guard. This could be an issue when using the knife hard and I think it would be a better knife without the choil. Also, the actual cutting edge is very small, nearly Cat small.

A choil on a knife like the Delica takes away advantages and leave few advantages.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:54 pm
rogatsby wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:23 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:09 am
No choil on the Delica, ever. No way, no how. However, if you want a similar knife with one, find a good Caly3 (which I wish had no choil, though I love the knife).
Just curious. Why are you opposed to a choil? What are the downsides of having one in your opinion? I ask because for me, it's just an additional feature, and would not take anything away.
Because it uses up significant handle space and when you are actually using a knife, the fit of the handle is very important for comfort and control. You can have a short blade and long handle and be fine, but if you have a short handle, no matter how long the blade it will be a problem. Another issue is that choils take up cutting edge length. I want enough unsharpened space on the blade that in case the lock fails it will not cut my finger, but I do not want too short of a cutting edge. (a large folder like the Military, with its rounded choil is fine. Choils on a small knife are not good for me).

Now, take a look at the Delica. What you see is a long handle that fits most hands very well. The blade is only 2.95 inches or so. It is about right all the way around, proportionally. You can still get a full four fingers on the knife and have great comfort and control. Also, it has a guard that keeps your finger from sliding forward onto the very sharp blade.

Look at the Native 5. The actual handle is too small. You must use the choil (or at least I have to do so) and there is no guard. This could be an issue when using the knife hard and I think it would be a better knife without the choil. Also, the actual cutting edge is very small, nearly Cat small.

A choil on a knife like the Delica takes away advantages and leave few advantages.
Agree. Excellent analysis.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Featherblade

Post by Featherblade »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:54 pm

My thoughts exactly.
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

I thought the same, got the Byrd Meadowlark first and then wondered why my Delica didn't have it. I usually just put my finger on the little space by the ricasso (blunt section) at the bottom, half on that half on the handle tip. Not as comfy but works.
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain