Never Let Your Girl Use Your Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Harburmaster

Never Let Your Girl Use Your Knife

Post by Harburmaster »

I have a Pacific Salt black FRN H-1 black Blade Plain Edge and I let my girlfriend use it.
No, she didn't cut herself, stab someone else, or throw it out in the trash. Something much worse....
While she was using it, she didn't notice the screws came loose and the knife came apart.
Unfortunately the only part we were unable to find was the locking spring.
I'm not even sure what it looks like.
Needless to say, the knife is now a paperweight on my desk if I can't get a new spring.
Spyderco says they don't sell them. UGH!!!
Any ideas where to get one or even what it looks like to see if I can make one?!?!
Thanks
And remember, unless your girl has her own or is accustomed to using this fine piece of steel, never let your girl use your knife.
(I know, I know, if I maintained the knife properly it wouldn't have been in such disrepair, but then again... you might not have read this post, eh?!?!?)
LOL Just sayin'
Thanks
D
TazKristi

Re: Never Let Your Girl Use Your Knife

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, Harburmaster:
Welcome to our forum. I think your warning about who to loan your knife to goes for just about anyone... girl or otherwise. There are a few of us girls here who would be happy to teach your girlfriend basic knife care (we might even be willing to teach knife maintenance to you). :p

We hope you enjoy your time with us. Would you be willing to send your knife into us for repair? Our crew would be happy to evaluate your knife and see if there's anything we can do.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Wow, I’d say never borrow a knife from you. I’d never let my wife use a knife in that condition! Why we’re all the screws coming out? I’ve never had something like that happen. I’ve had a couple pivot screws come a bit loose but never the whole knife come apart. I’m guessing you had it apart and didn’t tighten it up properly on reassembly?
My wife uses my knives all the time, I usually get it back not wiped clean but that’s the worst she does. In my experience “girls” just use knives to cut things so the worst thing they might do is cut themselves, put it down in a careless location or as mentioned leave it dirty. Men on the other hand tend to try and pry things, or stab it into something damaging the tip.
I only lend a knife to some I’m confident won’t be careless and don’t trust other people’s knives, moreso after reading this post.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I've owned 100 plus spyderco knives and never had one come apart... Crazy, am I right? ;)
I'm so glad she wasn't injured while using your improperly maintained knife.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Lorelei

Post by Lorelei »

Harburmaster wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:44 pm
I have a Pacific Salt black FRN H-1 black Blade Plain Edge and I let my girlfriend use it.
No, she didn't cut herself, stab someone else, or throw it out in the trash. Something much worse....
While she was using it, she didn't notice the screws came loose and the knife came apart.
Unfortunately the only part we were unable to find was the locking spring.
I'm not even sure what it looks like.
Needless to say, the knife is now a paperweight on my desk if I can't get a new spring.
Spyderco says they don't sell them. UGH!!!
Any ideas where to get one or even what it looks like to see if I can make one?!?!
Thanks
And remember, unless your girl has her own or is accustomed to using this fine piece of steel, never let your girl use your knife.
(I know, I know, if I maintained the knife properly it wouldn't have been in such disrepair, but then again... you might not have read this post, eh?!?!?)
LOL Just sayin'
Thanks
D
Not all girls are created equal. Some girls fall for guys who can't maintain their knives properly.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Harburmaster,

Welcome to our forum.

Best to send it to Spyderco.

sal
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

There's probably a thread on another forum that's titled "Always Hide Your Boy's Screwdrivers."
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I'm glad the girls chimed in. That's all I have to say.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Lorelei wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:27 am
Not all girls are created equal. Some girls fall for guys who can't maintain their knives properly.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
attila

Post by attila »

Harbormaster wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:44 pm
LOL Just sayin'
Thanks
D
My girl has used a number of my knives and dinged a couple, but I'm not misogynistic, so I don't blame her gender for her making a mistake...

Your knife falling apart is both your fault and the fault of your significant other's lack of attention to detail.

LOL Just sayin'
Thanks
A

Edited for grammar and clarity
Last edited by attila on Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

I have to agree with the others here...your knife should have never been in that condition in the first place. That very well could have happened to you! Sounds like it was a ticking time bomb. Thankfully nobody was hurt, but placing the blame on your girl is a bit harsh and comes off as girls don't know how to use knives...which as you already see, we have some girls here that know their stuff! If you're able to get a new spring, I'd also recommend some blue loctite for each screw when reassembling.
supracor

Post by supracor »

A girlfriend? And who has it? :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My girl has her own pink Native and Ladybug, but then she also knows how to use a knife ;)
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
BravoTango

Post by BravoTango »

My wife uses my knives all the time without issue, she's not a knife nut and has never managed to muck one up, then again I maintain mine well and they don't have loose screws, which to be fair, could have easily fallen out when you yourself were using it.

the lock spring looks like a little metal hockey stick, thats the best way I can describe it, shouldn't be THAT hard to find, unless she was using it on the beach. :D
:spyder: Ben,

The North Remembers.

Has (Always in flux): Shaman, Chef, Techno, M390 Para 3, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 M4. Manix 2 XL, Blue Weave Domino, CF Chaparral, Vtoku2 Endura 4, D-Fly Salt Hawk SE.[/s].

Wants: Manix 2 XL CPM-M4 or 4V, Compression Lock, Tip-up Military, Yojimbo 2 XL.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Firstly, I find it hard to believe that it fell apart like so. It must have been disassembled, badly adjusted or abused previously to fail in that catastrophic way. :confused:

Secondly, I agree that most likely you were the main cause why the knife fell apart in the first place, probably due to lack of proper maintenance or care :rolleyes:

Thirdly, I also agree with those who say that women tend to be more careful with things (especially those that are from others) than men, who are usually more careless and abusive :o

Then I also suggest that you learn proper knife maintenance, proper knife use (and pass that onto your girl), that you send the knife to Spyderco and that you try to appear less misogynistic in the way you express yourself. ;)

Have a nice day
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Maybe no girl involved? Maybe Botched disassembly for modding+scapegoat? :p
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I don't think the moral of this story is the one mentioned in the title of this thread.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

It is odd that he is blaming his girlfriend for not noticing, but there is an implied blame on Spyderco for making a knife that would fall apart. I am thinking....

TROLL
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Knifemom117

Post by Knifemom117 »

I have borrowed/ used my boyfriend's knives many a time and have 3 of my own. Not once has a knife fallen apart on me. Sure a pivot screw has come loose but never has one completely fallen apart. Can't blame the woman for this one.
PStone

Post by PStone »

My wife has her own collection that I’m not allowed to use. She even touches them up herself on the sharpmaker.