Dragonfly H1 Hawkbill for self defence

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
petersson

Dragonfly H1 Hawkbill for self defence

Post by petersson »

Country where i live (Europe) its not allowed to carry firearm for self defence, even pepper spray is under lisence. So i have choose knives for SD, even they are not allowed. I travel alot around the world and long time i have try to find some good SD tool what i can carry every place with good explanation.

Few weeks ago i received my dragonfly hawkbill H1 and i am verry satisfied and sunrised also how much i like it. I have own several Spyderco knives, even civilian, tasman salt , matriarch + about 20-50 other knives for self defence use. Now i finally after 20 year feel that i have found perfect self defence knife for my needs.

Why i think its best self defence knife for me:

1. Lightweight
2. Small size&slim (easy to hide)
3. Short Hawkbill edge is effective but dont cause so mutch deep wounds that they are immediately deadly. Also in under stress you cant cause stab wounds accidentally.
4. Enviroment friendly (Neutrall size and color, easy to explain if needed that its for fishing/sailing hoppy)
5. Good quality
6. Inexpensive ( in my country about 105 USD)
cabfrank

Re: Dragonfly H1 Hawkbill for self defence

Post by cabfrank »

I don't think of a Dragonfly as a SD knife, but then again, I don't consider any knife for that purpose.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I would imagine a hawkbill this small, or rather with a handle this small, would get snatched out of your hand if you slashed with it and it got hooked into clothes/meat/bone/etc. I think if I had to go with something as small as a Dragonfly I'd get the standard version, it has a fairly straight edge so it's almost as good as a wharncliffe.
Last edited by Evil D on Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Welcome! Mine bit me on 1st close the day I got it. Just swung down and the se got my knuckles, so it seems they're blood thirsty.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

petersson wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:42 am
3. Short Hawkbill edge is effective but dont cause so mutch deep wounds that they are immediately deadly.
This is an interesting philosophy. Why are you stabbing someone if you don't want to injure them sufficient to incapacitate them? I mean, I'm not saying you're wrong, but it's a very different mindset than we usually see in the U.S. (e.g., if the situation is serious enough to require self defense that you should try to be as deadly as possible).
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

It wouldn't be my first choice, personally. But if you travel, with how restrictive some laws are, it's a much better choice than having nothing.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

zhyla wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:51 pm
petersson wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:42 am
3. Short Hawkbill edge is effective but dont cause so mutch deep wounds that they are immediately deadly.
This is an interesting philosophy. Why are you stabbing someone if you don't want to injure them sufficient to incapacitate them? I mean, I'm not saying you're wrong, but it's a very different mindset than we usually see in the U.S. (e.g., if the situation is serious enough to require self defense that you should try to be as deadly as possible).
I believe that self defense starts when "run away" has already failed. It should go without saying the avoidance and run-fu are always the best option. I think incapacitating your attacker is the focus of most self defense "systems" because it's the best way to be sure you are safe and can escape, but as long as you can discourage someone from continuing an attack, or get them off of you so you can run, you don't "need" to incapacitate to defend yourself.

Don't think of it as a deadly weapon, think of it as a pain/compliance tool or force multiplier. You can use it as a pressure point tool, you can punch with it in reverse grip... No one likes getting cut, even superficially. Eyes/neck/groin are places no one wants to get hit even with an empty hand let alone a sharp little hook. If someone is on top of you, or holding onto you, a little hook poking them in the ribs/arm/thigh/hand might be enough for them to let go, move, or rethink their choice of victims. I'd rather have a yo2, civilian, matriarch, p'kal, karahawk, tasman, wharndelica, ect, the pivot on the Dfly is a little weak for SD, but it's way better than nothing.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

In general, a Dragonfly is absolutely big enough to be lethal especially from slash wounds. I've seen the meat-man cut tests from (I think?) a Ladybug and it was terrifying what a small blade can do.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:24 pm
... it was terrifying what a small blade can do.
Yep, in my paper towel roll "tests" I can't slash down to the center of a roll like I can with a Delica, but a DFly cuts deeper than I'd want to get cut. My ZDP manbug does too.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

the df hawkbill is similar in size to some small karambits on the market. in the reverse grip, i think it could be plenty effective for self defense. i sure hope i’d never have to rely on one to defend my life, but it might get the job done better than my bare hands.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Since a self-defense knife is essentially fantasy for 99.9999% of people, I'd say there is no wrong choice.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

ABX2011 wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:36 pm
Since a self-defense knife is essentially fantasy for 99.9999% of people, I'd say there is no wrong choice.
If you have studied martial arts, as I have, and 5 guys try to break every bone in your body, as they have, then a pocket knife knife works like magic.

Been there. Done that.

I must be in the 0.0001%.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Naperville wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:50 pm
ABX2011 wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:36 pm
If you have studied martial arts, as I have, and 5 guys try to break every bone in your body, as they have, then a pocket knife knife works like magic.

Been there. Done that.

I must be in the 0.0001%.
Indeed.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Probably a little bit of training and a crappy knife will trump zero training and buying the absolute best knife for the job.

There are some videos that I've seen where a half inch utility razor blade can cause some really deep (to the bone) cuts.

The Dragonfly might do well for you, but most self defense experts suggest plain edge to avoid getting caught on heavy clothing.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

After using the hawkfly, tasman, and matriarch a bit myself, and seeing pictures of what a matriarch can do to heavy clothing I worry a lot less about serrations snagging on clothes than I used to. Just got to keep em' sharp. If you let it get dull though, it could be an issue.

sal

Post by sal »

Hi Petersson,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I agree with others that a small hawkbill blade can be deadly effective against clothing and flesh,
it doesn't have to be big, just sharp, :eek:

but also I agree with those that say that it might not be a great defensive folding knife because of the grip (you don't really have much purchase, a secure grip, ample surface of contact with the hand, etc.) and lack of secure purchase in aggressive motions, sudden impacts, etc. :o

and also that I am not sure about the strength of the pivot and hardware for those kind of possibly stressful and abusive situations, I'd rather have a Tasman or Spyderhawk not only for the added blade length but also for the strength factor :cool:
petersson

Post by petersson »

sal wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:32 am
Hi Petersson,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thank you sal. Thank you also that you make this knife for us, i love it. Today i received other one also so now i have two of them. I hope that in future we see also black handle version of this.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Wouldn't immediately peg the dragonhawk as a SD blade, but it is tiny enough to be easily concealed in hand. I'd reckon it would have the same kind of uses as the matriarch/civilian do - multiplying gross swinging into something much more damaging.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
tragique

Post by tragique »

What's most likely to happen in most situations where people try to use knives for self defense is your opponent takes it away from you, and now they have a knife. Without actual training and practice, no knife is going to help you in a fight. Your best weapon is a pair of good running shoes in nearly every case.