PM2 s30v, my experience

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bruce Mack

PM2 s30v, my experience

Post by Bruce Mack »

I am new to knives. Of those I own, the PM2 with s30v blade feels the best in hand. After sharpening it to 15° per edge with the Sharpmaker, I have put it in its tray, using some good but non-Spyderco knives as my EDC. Frankly, hearing that s30v is perhaps long in the tooth, I didn't want to have this knife which I really like prove deficient in edge retention.
Today I used it to break down cardboard including a couple of heavy-walled cat litter boxes. I loved the utility, able to get through the wall with the tip and continue a push cut with almost no effort. This reflects the grind + a lot of stuff Sal must have spent months on. The jimping on the spine gave a great thumb rest. Admittedly I'm talking about homeowner quantities, but at the end of cardboard breakdown, I noted no change in the cutting effort or the cut quality. Subsequent paper slicing seemed a bit deficient compared to a check just prior to the cardboard. The excellent sharpness was restored with about 1 minute of stropping.
Japanese woodworking artisans (check "Japanese planing competition" on YouTube) produce gossamer shavings with their laminated irons. If they are doing fine woodworking, they are said to refresh the edge on a fine water stone after only a few passes so as to maintain the high gloss of the wood. (Sanding doesn't happen, an abomination, as it only degrades the planed surface.) I cannot expect any knife edge to be impervious to use.
Forgive this wordy rumination, but while I'd like to have a PM2 with Bohler M390 or its equivalent, I expect that I'd not notice the difference.
My PM2 is a great knife.
MichaelScott

Re: PM2 s30v, my experience

Post by MichaelScott »

That was my experience too. I think for the vast majority of us steels like S30V, VG10 and BD1 are excellent. I have never felt the need to buy a knife mainly because of its “higher end” steel. Some few might actually need different steels for particular requirements. The only other type I might consider is something like H1 or other rust proof steels. But I live at 7000 feet in a dry southwest climate so I have no need for that.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

The higher end steels are all about holding a working edge longer, in my experience (besides m4, which in my uses has kept a shaving edge a very long time). My s30v pm2 is my favorite working knife. I used it exclusively for about 2 years in a warehouse. It doesn't keep a shaving edge for a tremendous time but it holds a working edge for a good long time. I usually touched it up twice a week. I'd keep a small knife at shaving sharp on me if I need that for a random reason. Eventually my work knives changed from the pm2 to carrying both the pacific salt and benchmade contigo, but that's more becuase I'm excessive.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

I have to agree. My S30V PM2 is a fantastic knife. Definetly doesn't keep an edge forever, but isn't difficult to get back if you touch it up after every couple of uses. Contrary, surprisingly...possibly a lemon, my Taichung Sage 5 S30V has been a nightmare since I've got it. It never seems to get the razor edge any of my other knives get. When it gets pretty sharp, it loses it quickly. Never been a fan of how it cuts. I prefer my Centofante 3 in VG10 or Manix 2 LW in BD1 over that knife any day of the week if talking about non super steels
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I’m about to go and pick up my PM2 in S30v.
In my experience I love S30v- it’s a great all round steel.