A slip joint use and safety discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Your thoughts on the topic

Poll ended at Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:09 pm

Do you have or have had a slip joint knife?
43%
Do you want a slip joint knife?
18%
Do you think slip joint knives are or can be safe?
39%
Would you never have a slip joint knife?
1%

Total votes: 119

MichaelScott

A slip joint use and safety discussion

Post by MichaelScott »

I am interested in your thoughts on slip joint knives, including Spyderco models. There was discussion here about slip joints and locks but i would like to restrict talk to slip joints themselves.

My opinion is that if any slip joint knife is appreciated for its design and used accordingly always alert that under some circumstances, usually outside the design parameters, the blade can close unexpectedly, they are fine for use.

I am using a UKPK as an example of a modern slip joint design that has been specifically done with user safety in mind.

All commments are welcome.

The basic ergonomic design.

Showing how the knife is naturally gripped.

Pushing the blade down hard with the thumb. Note that it stops with the choil, not the blade, on the index finger.

A closeup of the choil jammed against my finger.

So, considering this, I would say that if you don’t so something extraordinarily stupid with this slip joint the odds of getting cut when the blade begins to close are very low. By the way, the Roadie is designed in the same way.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: A slip joint use and safety discussion

Post by Doc Dan »

I have quite a few slip joints, from Case, Buck, Victorinox, and Spyderco. If you are careful and do not do things beyond what a slipjoint can do, then there are no problems. I particularly love the Spyderco Urban LW as it is the right size and the ergos are perfect for a small knife. On this, and other Spyderco Slipjoints, if the blade closes accidentally, and assuming it is being held as intended, then the blade will not cut you because the choil will contact your finger and keep it from closing. I would not want to force this issue with abuse, however.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I grew up on slip-joint knives - Case, Victorinox, etc., and although I cut myself plenty often back then, it wasn't because of the knife design.

I like locking knives, and they're all I've carried for the past 10 or 12 years. Even though I don't consider locks necessary for safe operation and use, I like the added security of a locking knife.

Do I want a slip joint knife? Not necessarily; that is, I wouldn't purchase a knife just to have that feature. I'm fortunate enough to live in a place where locks and length restrictions are basically nil, so to me a slip joint doesn't offer anything I really need or want.

That said, being slip-joint wouldn't keep me from buying a knife if I really liked the design or style, or materials.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Own a few, have used them since I was old enough to hold a knife, first knife was a Case slippy. When used to cut things they're perfectly safe, it's only when you start doing what some consider non knife jobs that it becomes dangerous. Not really looking to buy another but the right model/steel may tempt me.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Simple, easy, light, and yes, safe.

I carry either the UKPK or Urban for roughly 30 days each year. Zero issues.

I'd prefer a larger blade, and a lock, but that's not always possible. I certainly don't feel "under-knifed" with the UKPK. I wish the Urban had a bit more blade, but I love having it in restrictive jurisdictions.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Another old timer who grew up using slipjoints; didn't carry a locking folder until I was in college. Spyderco's modern slipjoints are safer to use, because of the finger choil, but traditional folders are not unsafe, particularly if they have a half stop. "Accidents" happen when one either uses the knife for something other than cutting, or fails to pay attention when cutting material in which the blade might bind. When using any knife, it is wise to be aware of the position of one's fingers relative to the blade's edge.

I like my locking folders, but I also carry and use slipjoints -- both Spydies and traditional folders. If I had to, I could manage just fine using only slipjoints (and fixed blades).
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

A medium 3 bladed stockman is the only knife that's been with me all my life, can't see that changing.
Might sound odd, but there's no single knife that can replace it for a few certain tasks I do.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I've a ton of slipjoints. I've got 10 or 12 Great Eastern Cutlery models, 4 or 5 case knives, a lionsteel roundhead, a boker slack, a benchmade proper, and an enzo pk70(really nice ill guy). Idk why I have never bought a spyderco slippy. Would like an s110v UKPK. I've definitely cut myself but not seriously and they were stupid mistakes, using the knife without paying attention. I've never cut myself with one while paying attention. I never feel unsafe or less safe. I do prefer the models with a strong back spring like the GEC F&F Bullnose Sodbuster. That has a incredibly strong spring. It all but locks the knife in both the open and half stop positions.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
vivi

Post by vivi »

I EDC'd a UKPK and had no safety issues. Same with when I EDC'd a swiss army knife. I prefer a locking folder or fixed blade, but I don't mind using slipjoints. I got away from the UKPK due to the size rather than the lack of a lock.
:unicorn
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

I think most don't really need any kind of real lock. For those that do they're invaluable. The only way to win this game is for the two sides to meet in the middle and accept and understand where both are coming from. For me a lock is a great thing. For others not. If we argue then there's no winning.

They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I often carry both, a slip joint and a locking knife. Small would be the Roadie, Dragonfly or Rhino. In the middle is the One Eyed Jack. Bigger are the UKPK and Polestar. I kind of mix and match depending on the day and my mood.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I think we can all agree slip joints are 1000000% better than friction folders
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
guywithopinion

Post by guywithopinion »

I have a few slipjoints. They are fine. I like the UKPK a lot. However, it's not due to the slipjoint action, though probably a byproduct of it. It's the most inexpensive Golden knife, it's exceptionally light, and the FRN texture feels much more "premium" than the bi-directional pattern on other lightweights. I also have more tradtional slippies like SAK's and a slimline trapper. I don't like them that much, but they are perfectly usable knives.

When people say you don't need a lock as long as you pay attention to what you are doing, I wonder how careful they are in all other aspects of their life. Few of life's safety nets are needed if people are 100% perfect 100% of the time. The blade closing from moderate spine pressure is not an advantage in any scenario I can imagine. If all else were equal a locking knife of the same size, shape, weight, etc would always be better (in my opinion). But all is rarely equal. The safety of a lock is a positive, even if it is not needed. People aren't perfect all of the time. But there are some benefits to slipjoints that can make the tradeoff worth it. Weight certainly, cost, even just appreciating a century's old design. Just my opinion.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Although I like slip joints, I would still prefer a back lock on the UKPK. Nothing wrong with a little extra security even though I try to be consistently careful with how I use my knives. I am told that the Caly in that size is actually a locking UKPK, or vice versa. I love all of the UKPK's attributes though. The ergonomics, steel, weight and blade shape are about perfect for me, better than my Delica.

Team Innovation
Featherblade

Post by Featherblade »

UKPK won me with:
- Esthetics - It's a beautiful knife.
- Simplicity - Simple mechanics, only the friction folders are simpler.
- Lightness - I could carry it even clipped horizontally between the buttons on the shirt like a tie needle.

It's difficult to carry G10 Manix in this way.

But if I haven't law and extremely low weight restrictions, I prefer the more security and low friction in opening and closing of the locking folders.

SAK is always in my pocket as a second knife because of the multiple functions.
jackh

Post by jackh »

I picture folders in 3 categories when it comes to the lock or slip joint.

1. Good reliable lock

2. Slip joint like Spyderco's with safety built in with the finger choil. That's really good.

3. Traditional slip joints. The half stop models are great and my preference. I've been cut a couple of times with traditional slip joints folding on my finger. Both cuts were entirely my fault.

Since I was around 10 or 11 and only had traditional slip joint knives I have a love for them that is different than my love of locking folders.

With a little common sense slip joints are perfectly safe. Well, as safe as a sharp metal object can be. But a lock is always better I think.
Nate

Post by Nate »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:22 pm
I am told that the Caly in that size is actually a locking UKPK, or vice versa. I love all of the UKPK's attributes though....

There are some subtle differences, but the resemblance is very clear. Here is an old pic for a visual:

The idea of a locking UKPK or lw Caly 3 has been kicked around a lot. It might be cool, but I also feel fairly well covered by the existing options, especially when I remember that I'd probably continue to pocket my Chaparral lw most of the time anyway.

As for the OP, I'm a slipjoint fan. I don't carry them all the time, but the UKPK, Spy DK, Urban, PITS, and Pingo all have roles to play in my rotation (as well as various SAKs).

For safety, I'd say to avoid or use caution with any piercing/stabbing/point work. Also if your blade gets bound up in a cut, you've got to use your head and not just pull upward on the handle. :eek:
:spyder:
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

I love my lw urban, but the very nature of slip joints mean an increased risk of danger imo. Especially if someone picks up the knife and is not familiar, the very strong close past the half way mark could injury someone. It snaps closed like a beast
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

If you grew up with slipjoints, you have no problem. You learn quick what not to do with them. Simple. Just need to clue others in when they use your knife. I like locks (back locks, to be precise), but I can't seem to get the K390 Urban out of my pocket. It is design brilliance. The size, the spring strength, the ergonomics, the heft..... great knife, lock or no lock. It is real nice, as already stated, to just open, cut, and close without fiddling about with a lock. I also have the UKPK 110V in my pocket. Another great design. Sal knows how to make them right. They also feel right when cutting. I tested them a on cardboard at work.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Oddly enough the only knife I've ever had close on my hand was a Buck 110 with a back lock. User error is more dangerous than any particular design.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David