Thinking of a new knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PMBohol

Thinking of a new knife

Post by PMBohol »

It has been a while since I visited the forum. My collection consists of a Delica, PM2, Southard flipper and a Bradley Air. The Air is with me all the time.

Several months ago the Southard decided to disappear. I have no clue where it went but it has made me think about a replacement. Since I carry the Air, I am thinking about the Gayle Bradley 2. Then I would have two Bradleys on hand. I love the M4 steel.

So what is the general feedback on the 2? I know the original Bradley folder could be tough to disengage the lock. I assume that has been rectified in the newer version?
Delica 4 FFG
Paramilitary 2 DLC Digicam
Brad Southard flipper (missing in action)
Sharpmaker
Gayle Bradley 2.
Gayle Bradley Air
SG89

Re: Thinking of a new knife

Post by SG89 »

The GB2 has limited access to the lock and people with large fingers report that has been an issue for them. I had a GB2 years ago and loved it. Great value for the price
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I have the GB1 and saw no reason for the GB2. The Air’s lack of detent bugs me so I’ve cranked down the pivot for safety. Neither the GB1 nor the Air is perfect, but each is mighty fine. I imagine the GB2 is, too.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I am certainly not the one to ask as the only knife in your collection that I like is the Delica. I would be more apt to recommend you find a HAP40 Endura. There is a stabilized wood version and an orange FRN version.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
PMBohol

Post by PMBohol »

To update, after much thought I decided to pull the plug on a GB2 from Cutlery Shoppe. I have been a Bradley fan for some time now. His videos are eye opening for anyone watching.

So now I will shortly have the Air in the left pocket and the GB2 in the right.
Delica 4 FFG
Sharpmaker
Gayle Bradley 2.
Gayle Bradley Air
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

Nice! I really enjoy my GB2. It looks classy, but is a relatively larger knife. Actually larger than a PM2. Of my 10 Spydercos, it's in my top 3-5. That M4 steel is fantastic from Taichung. Decided to do some landscaping with it instead of one of my PM2's or a Manix and it worked just as good if not better. No issue with the liner lock, the more I've used it the easier it's been to disengage. The first day or two it really chewed up my thumb a bit from being a bit stiff/tough to disengage. Don't get discouraged if this happens to you! Doesn't seem to be a very common knife, which makes me like it even more.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Good for you. The 2 fixed all of the issues I had with the original design.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
PMBohol

Post by PMBohol »

Thanks. I am really impressed by the M4 steel. My Air has kept a great edge despite a few years of cutting open boxes and envelopes with the occasional zip tie along the way.

The only criticism I have with the Air is that pocket lint sometimes prevents the lock from engaging. A quick blow of air usually does the trick. The GB2 will be suspended in the pocket tip down as my preference so I don’t foresee that issue.

I’ve wanted a Gayle Bradley for a long time and the disappearance of the Southard renewed that feeling. The 2 does have some improvements that I favor like the slight choil.

What I am hoping for is that the Southard reappears after I receive the GB2. That’s usually the case.
Delica 4 FFG
Sharpmaker
Gayle Bradley 2.
Gayle Bradley Air
Para3

Post by Para3 »

I've had the GB2 for a while now, it was my first M4 blade.
I generally don't like liner locks, but this knife is solid.
My only complaint is the weak blade detent.
It is by far the best slicing knife I have owned. I think the blade grind has something to do with that though. It's a beautiful knife.
Native5-S110V, PM2-S30V, PM2-Rex 45, PM2-52100, PM2-S110V, PM2-S35VN, Para3-S30V, Para3-S110V, Para3-M4, Para3-BD1N, GB2, Dragonfly, Manix2-S30V, UK Pen Knife-S110V, Delica4, Para3-Rex 45, Para3-52100, Manix2-S110V, Stretch 2-ZDP-189 G10, Stretch 2 FRN-VG10.
PMBohol

Post by PMBohol »

This was very quick. I ordered the knife through Cutlery Shoppe early Saturday afternoon with the free shipping and just got it out of the mailbox this morning. The knife is perfect. I like the heft of it and it fits in the hand well. All handling edges are smooth and polished which is typical of the Taichung knives.

Thanks to Sal and Taichung for a great knife. It’s in my pocket for the long haul.
Delica 4 FFG
Sharpmaker
Gayle Bradley 2.
Gayle Bradley Air
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Awesome, enjoy!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
PMBohol

Post by PMBohol »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:49 am
Awesome, enjoy!

Most definitely. The pivot sounded a tad bit dry so I placed a drop of Valvoline synthetic motor oil on each side. That did the trick. I’ve found that motor oil works quite well for knives and I always have some around.
Delica 4 FFG
Sharpmaker
Gayle Bradley 2.
Gayle Bradley Air