USPK?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you like a USPK? UKPK with back lock

Poll ended at Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:39 pm

Yes
71%
No
29%

Total votes: 34

MichaelScott

USPK?

Post by MichaelScott »

I was using my UKPK again today. In the kitchen (sorry, anti-folding-knives-kitchen-folks) and I really like it, better than my Delica. I Iike the blade shape, BD1N and especially the ergonomics, wire clip and light weight.

So, I propose a USPK. Essentially the same except with a back lock.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
steelcity16

Re: USPK?

Post by steelcity16 »

Absolutely! I mentioned this not too long ago. Id like it to have the drop point blade shape though. Would be great if they could offer both leaf and drop point. A blacked out LC200N salt version with drop point would be amazing.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

You are requesting a FRN Caly 3... ;)

The UKPK was developed as both a G10 and lightweight non-locking alternative of the Caly 3. Putting a lock back on turns it right back into a Caly. Now what’s cool with this “USPK” name is that it might sneak production of it to Golden, similar to UKPK production. Cheers, Radioactive :)

(And of course I mean the Caly, not Calypso Jr. like the upcoming sprint...)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

Sure I would like to see a US made Caly 3. Throw some 52100 in it, add a 3.5" big brother and I will buy a handful of each.

Unless things drastically change, I don't see it happening. Spyderco has a relationship spanning generations with the Japanese maker.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:49 pm

The UKPK was developed as both a G10 and lightweight non-locking alternative of the Caly 3. Putting a lock back on turns it right back into a Caly. Now what’s cool with this “USPK” name is that it might sneak production of it to Golden, similar to UKPK production. Cheers, Radioactive :)

Exactly! US Made Locking UKPK > FRN Caly 3 due to the amazing variety of awesome steels available like Cruwear, M4, 52100, S110V, Maxamet, LC200N, etc, etc.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
markg

Post by markg »

I agree, you are just remaking a FRN Caly Jr.

I would just ask for one of them...
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:22 pm
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:49 pm

Exactly! US Made Locking UKPK > FRN Caly 3 due to the amazing variety of awesome steels available like Cruwear, M4, 52100, S110V, Maxamet, LC200N, etc, etc.
I am not opposed to anything Caly being made or remade, the idea of a US made version absolutely makes it a must have. I'm curious to hear more from Sal on the logistic hurdles.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Yes and also a locking urban
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

US-Urban would be the jam. That could probably get the introvert out of my pocket.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I kind of doubt Sal would do a sneaky on the japan factory like that. But you never know. It would probably compete a lot with the Chap lw. Then again, I'm all down for US Made Backlocks, especially a budget friendly one like the ukpk. And especially if they kept the same steel or a similar easy sharpening steel. If it was made I'd buy it right up. But would it/could it?
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

This has been covered before and unfortunately it looks like it will never happen :(
Hi,

Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to the Calypso Jr in FRN. Didn't mean to hijack the thread. My bad. As mentioned, it should probably be a different thread.

As for a USPK locker, probably not going to happen. It means all new tooling, new design and new engineering. Too many other knives in the Queue at this time for it. And the Caly 3 is very close in design to the UKPK and the maker seems to be getting back on track.

As that daft Demon case so clearly demonstrated, the UKPK was a gift to the Brits from Spyderco because of their recent laws on knife carry and their need for a quality slippie. The series also includes a 2.5" blade Urban and a 2.0" Squeak.

As far as a Sprint Calypso Jr. It would have to be a Japanese steel as this maker has never worked with or imported a foreign steel.

sal
http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... 4&start=60
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Good news about the spring Calypso Jr.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

PanChango wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:57 pm
Unless things drastically change, I don't see it happening. Spyderco has a relationship spanning generations with the Japanese maker.
I agree. A Caly with an American or European steel doubtless has appeal, but how can Moki see a USPK as anything other than a giant diss?
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Id buy any FRN Caly Jr or Caly 3 in SE H1 with the Drop Point blade shape from the UKPK Drop Point. It would be like a Stretch Jr Salt. :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm really surprised the Chaparral got so much love, I've always thought the Caly 3 was one of if not the best ~3 inch folder available. It was my first "expensive" knife/Spyderco and the ergonomics really made an impression. I can see how the Chap is taller in the grip which fills the hand better. The Caly 3 was ultimately what ruined the Delica for me too, if all things were equal (FRN/nested liners/steel/cost) I would pick the Caly over a Delica every time.

The only issue I've had with my Caly 3 is the tip being exposed when closed after lots of sharpening. I know it can be adjusted by shaving down the kick but I wish that wasn't necessary.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
awa54

Post by awa54 »

PanChango wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:57 pm
Sure I would like to see a US made Caly 3. Throw some 52100 in it, add a 3.5" big brother and I will buy a handful of each.

The UKPK has a slightly different choil profile and the spine of the leaf blade is a bit different as well, so a linerless G10, lockback USPK would be a new knife, not just a Caly 3 re-boot... at least that's an argument that might work as far as keeping Moki from taking mortal insult at the production being moved to the US, especially if US steels are used exclusively.

If it did happen, I'd vote for the original UKPK blade thickness in CruWear and a linerless G10 design!

I doubt it'll ever happen though. Same for a locking Urban.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

MichaelScott wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:39 pm
So, I propose a USPK. Essentially the same except with a back lock.
This already exists, it's the Chaparral LW. Buy one. They're $80.
Evil D wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:00 am
I'm really surprised the Chaparral got so much love, I've always thought the Caly 3 was one of if not the best ~3 inch folder available.
I think a large part of the Chaparral attraction is how thin the blade is. I'm sure the 3mm Caly 3 blade is good. But I'm also sure the 2mm Chaparral blade is slicier. It has renewed my interest/confidence in non-serrated knives.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:00 am
I'm really surprised the Chaparral got so much love, I've always thought the Caly 3 was one of if not the best ~3 inch folder available.
I won’t argue against the Caly of whatever size (I have only the 3.5 but am looking for other sizes). Like you, I’m drawn to an aggressive negative blade-angle, which I think adds power to pull cuts best.

I think the Chap got serious love for four reasons.

First, it launched a series meant to feature handle materials/styles (like the Sage features great locks), so it was immediately collectible, if ultimately a really pricey one.

Second, The Deacon extolled its sliciness (even before the model dropped, IIRC); I’m not the only one who listens when he opines on Spydies.

Third, the Chap’s lock does not have Japan’s “notorious” vertical blade-play.

Finally, the Chap was a modern Glesser design, not “stale” like the Caly. Perception is everything.

I will say, my Chaps, so acutely ground, go through a block of cheddar more easily than my less-acute 3.5 Caly, despite its negative angle.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Featherblade

Post by Featherblade »

I voted "Yes" for USPK with backlock = Caly 3 lightweight (linerless FRN), but USPK 3.5 would be better.
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

I voted yes but mostly just because, IIRC Sal has mentioned a Caly 3.5 FRN is somewhere in the works. For me the 3.5 just has better ratios and I am looking forward to an FRN version...would love to see LC200N.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.