New Para 3 Red or Blue Loctite?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Linning

New Para 3 Red or Blue Loctite?

Post by Linning »

I just received a brand new para 3 from amazon. I'm looking to take it apart and I heard that para 3 changed from red loctite to blue loctite. I'm concerned because I do not want to force too much power unscrewing it and making the screw strip if it is red loctite. Is there any way to confirm whether my para 3 has red or blue loctite?

Manufacturer code on box = EQ
EQ = May 2017. I believe this is date it was manufactured.

Thanks.
Ric

Re: New Para 3 Red or Blue Loctite?

Post by Ric »

Hello and welcome here,

Which model is it?
Does it have the full width lock ramp or the safety step ramp?

Why do you want to take it apart?
The lanyard tube is ... when removing the scales.

I guess its a red version...
ferider

Post by ferider »

Get yourself the right tools, apply enough down-pressure and the screws will not strip. Google for example "Wiha 36291".

Note that you can get replacement Pivot and scale screws (the P3 uses only 2) from ebay these days. Not cheap but in case sh*t happens.

Roland.
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Linning wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:37 pm
I just received a brand new para 3 from amazon. I'm looking to take it apart and I heard that para 3 changed from red loctite to blue loctite. I'm concerned because I do not want to force too much power unscrewing it and making the screw strip if it is red loctite. Is there any way to confirm whether my para 3 has red or blue loctite?

Manufacturer code on box = EQ
EQ = May 2017. I believe this is date it was manufactured.

Thanks.
Linning, welcome to the fourm! I recently disassembled a PM3 to install custom scales. It's a lot easier than a PM2 since the lanyard tube is only connected to the liner and not the liner and the scales. I found that removing the screws was easy using my Wiha Torx tool. If you experience difficulty don't force it. In this situation I have used a soldering iron to heat the screw. Be careful though and don't get the iron hotter than 180*. Good luck and let use know how it went. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Linning

Post by Linning »

Thanks for all your responses.
Ric wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:50 am
Hello and welcome here,

Which model is it?

I saw the thread on the para 3 defect here: viewtopic.php?t=73272

My para 3 (Spyderco C223GP Plain Edge black) has a step ramp. Looks like it may be a generation 2 because of the step ramp. I'm not 100% sure because I have a step ramp, it means i have blue loctite.
jackh

Post by jackh »

I don't know which loc-tite that knife has but I can't imagine any time anything stronger than blue would be needed on a knife. I've never used red loc-tite but my understanding is you only use that when you don't ever want the screw, nut/bolt, etc. to be taken apart. Possibly it would create a locked set of threads that would mean breaking the thing they are holding together before the threads would separate. I always thought it was stronger than most small torx tips or possibly the screws usually used in Spyderco knives. If this is not true I'd like to know. Not a big deal as I don't plan to use red on any knife. But, I'd want to know if a knife I bought had red on it.
Ric

Post by Ric »

Then it could be blue.
With good tools it should work fine.
Linning

Post by Linning »

Just an update.. Picked up some torx bits from my local hardware store and was able to unscrew it without stripping the screw. Didn't have to use much force. It looks like they used a white color thread locker. Don't know if white thread lock works just as good as blue.
mattman

Post by mattman »

Linning wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:28 pm
Thanks for all your responses.
Ric wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:50 am
Hello and welcome here,

Which model is it?

I saw the thread on the para 3 defect here: viewtopic.php?t=73272

My para 3 (Spyderco C223GP Plain Edge black) has a step ramp. Looks like it may be a generation 2 because of the step ramp. I'm not 100% sure because I have a step ramp, it means i have blue loctite.
I don't see a "defect" in that thread?

viewtopic.php?t=73272#p1133879
awa54

Post by awa54 »

"Loctite" is a brand name, like BandAids or Kleenex... so Loctite branded thread locker is the only one where referencing the color of the locking compound is a 100% accurate way to compare retention strength (though there are many other makers that follow this color coding convention). Also, some thread lock compounds don't show much color after they've cured.

I have seen different strengths of clear compound on US made Spyderco knives that had equivalent retention to either red or blue Loctite as well as applied blue polymer on clip screws that isn't really the same type of thread locker as the liquid compounds AFAIK.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
ferider

Post by ferider »

My blue loctite (242) turns white after curing. My red loctite(271) stays red, also when dry.

I use 271 extremely rarely, on some very specific screws of my 99' fatboy, and for knives, i've only ever used to tighten one side only of the handle pivot screws of my Mules.

Glad you got it apart !

Roland.