New fixed blade - need help

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

New fixed blade - need help

Post by sal »

Hi all,

I'm considering a "Mule Team" style fixed blade as a permanent model for the line. It won't be many steels, maybe a couple of variations, but it will be a finished knife. Handle & sheath. Highly functional.

The Mule Team served its purpose well. I had come up with some improvements over the years, but didn't want to change it in the interest of science, apples & apples, etc.

I'm planning to make it a bit longer, maybe 3-3/4" blade, same basic shape, general utility, some minor mods to the ergos in the handle. A 3-D machined scale with no texture.

I thought to ask for your input as I'm working on the design.

sal
Sumdumguy

Re: New fixed blade - need help

Post by Sumdumguy »

Perfect! A good 3.5-4" blade would be a nice car knife.

What steels are we thinking?
Last edited by Sumdumguy on Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

The mule was a bit cramped for guys with large hands but not to the point it didn't work. I liked it as it is. I'm always for keeping it simple and keeping costs down when possible. It's a pretty cool idea though and has my attention. The mule always was a great cutting and slicing tool.

Joe
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Going to order a PD-1 mule soon. Never had one. Ill try to provide some feedback after I check it out.

Maybe 3V for the first steel since there was never a mule with it?

Not sure about others, but I hate smooth scales. I like peel ply texture on g10 and cf and matte micarta. I love FRN as well.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

Love the mules, additional length would be nice.

Keep looking at that Chief picture, and think that design might make a good fixed blade?
C
Last edited by Calicoast on Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
supracor

Post by supracor »

I've had a little problem with the end of the handle.
I would be grateful if you could do it a little longer ;) :)

The steel? Just to know :)
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx, that'a the kind of info I'm seeking.

Hey steelcity,

Pretty hard to machine in "peel ply" on a machined surface. Maybe a bead blast like the Temperance Fixed blade.

sal
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Would prefer the handle to form the guard (part that contacts your hand) not the ricasso... I don't like the prominent point the ricasso makes on the mule, I keep meaning to grind it off but keep forgetting. I use my rlw34 Mule in the kitchen it's quite handy. Interested in a new fixed blade if it's on the cheaper side. Very much looking forward to the Bow River and any other sub $200 MAP fixed blade knife.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

sal wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:46 pm

Hey steelcity,

Pretty hard to machine in "peel ply" on a machined surface. Maybe a bead blast like the Temperance Fixed blade.

sal

Haha, true! :D I was just stating my general preference for peel ply, but I do think that flat peel ply g10 slabs on a fixed blade would be pretty cool and different. It looks like the Ronin and the Reverse both had something like that, but im just going off internet pictures. That Ronin looks amazing. Look what you did! Now you have me looking at fixed blades!! I still have more folder folders to buy! :rolleyes:

If you are going to go the machined route, the Temperance 2 Micarta scales are very nice. I know a lot of forumites like Micarta, myself incluced. I just dont like polished Micarta. Too slippery.
Last edited by steelcity16 on Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

I've said it many times before and will again, I think the Manix 2 would be a great starting point for a fixed blade.

I think fattening up the sides of the handle some to fill more of the hand and a little more rounding to provide a good, mostly universal, comfortable tight grip would be excellent.

Keep the weight as low as possible and maybe even stick with "sculpted" FRCP. Easy to clean too.

It's already in the Mule ballpark.

I think a "budget" version, a Salt (probably SE), and maybe a BD1N or similar would be very attractive. Leaf and Sheep's foot or maybe Wharncliffe might be good options.

I think it would be a nice all-'rounder that could be appealing to the camper, hiker, fisherman, hunter, etc.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

This ^^^
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

The Mastiff wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:48 pm
The mule was a bit cramped for guys with large hands but not to the point it didn't work. I liked it as it is. I'm always for keeping it simple and keeping costs down when possible. It's a pretty cool idea though and has my attention. The mule always was a great cutting and slicing tool.

Joe
Me and my big and thrifty hands agree! :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've always loved the Mules except for one thing - the thumb ramp. I'd like to see it removed, or placed further away from where the index finger goes. Some extra cutting edge sounds nice too, but the original size worked for me.
:unicorn
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

I never really liked the thumb ramp. It was always more of a thumb stop than a ramp. Kind of uncomfortable.

The finger guard kind of got in the way, both in use and when sharpening.

I always thought a design like the photo attached would be a great all arounder, especially as a test bed platform. It can be used just about anywhere and the tang is robust enough to handle rougher work.

Something with the same fundamental design points:
flat grind, 3.75 or 4 inch blade, blade serves as finger guard and makes it super easy to sharpen consistently, with maybe a touch of a thumb ramp, would be awesome. Simple rounded handle with bead blasted g10 or something, nothing crazy. Especially with a simple left or right handed boltatron sheath with a clip that can be positioned for horizontal, vertical, or 45 degree strong side or cross draw.

Fairly thin stock, there are plenty of beaters out there, many fewer cutting demons.

If it's going to be a testing platform akin to the mule team then i wouldn't care about which steel it started with though I'd suggest vanax or rex 121 which would cause an immediate passionate response and ensure a good first run...
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
ferider

Post by ferider »

I have 3 mules, (1) CV20, (2) A11 and (3) Maxamet, for (1) Camping/Cooking, (2) house and yard, and (3) car/bike mechanics. I will never need another fixed blade :). Current Mule blade size is perfect, and so are the Halpern Option 4 handles (particcularly in Wood). 3.7-3.8" blade would be fine, too.
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

How about something like this?

Last edited by Accutron on Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Accutron wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:13 pm

Outstanding
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Accutron wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:13 pm

Looks great to me.
:unicorn
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

I would definitely consider this, Sal. I've been waiting for a Spyderco fixed blade that offered a design like the Mule at a more affordable price point (compared to the Bradley designs). The length and round handle sounds very nice.

Do you have any idea what steels would most likely be chosen for this new model?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I like that rendition a lot but could live without the lanyard hole.

I would like to see a 4 to 4.5 inch blade, no thumb ramp, micarta scales and a leather sheath. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?