New fixed blade - need help

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: New fixed blade - need help

Post by vivi »

micarta and AEB-L sounds lovely.
:unicorn
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

Sal,
1) Please make the handle scales removable so people could put their own scales on later if possible. Could you please keep the hole designs in the handle as the current mule config to allow this?
2) Steels: VG10 seems like a standard but I would also suggest BD1N or PSF27
3)Maybe a model that may allow a base handle slab and then an aftermarket upscale slab (carbon fiber) would work. This could also work for a sheath, if leather is standard allow for kydex or vice versa
4) Keep a lanyard hole
ikaretababy

Post by ikaretababy »

Sal,

I own the following spyderco fixed blades

1. Bushcraft
2. Proficient
3. Leaf Enuff
4. Drop Point Moran

They all still receive regular use but I use the Moran more than anything. It is due to comfort of the handle. I also really like the choil on both fixed and folding knives. I'm a little surprised and saddened to hear people don't like this feature. I would suppose this rules that type of handle out.

The bushcraft/proficient handle is a really close second in terms of comfort and ergonomics. I believe this general design is the most ergonomic and forgiving full tang handle that I have hanging around. Its no as accommodating of a pinch or lever grip as the Moran due to the lack of pronounced "scallops" but it pretty close otherwise.

I think the bottom line for me on a new fixed blade is the handle design. Regardless of the other features this is the one non-negotiable feature on a fixed blade. The Proficient style handle is pretty close to the threshold for comfort so I don't know if that wheel needs to be re-invented. Granted I might have weird hands.

The handle is the bottom line but the following features would also matter to me.

leaf shaped/spearpoint blade
3.75 long blade
CPM 4v - this steel has preformed so well in the crucible flavor and unobtainable BU equivalent. It is my top choice but frankly m390 or equivalent, 154, Cruwear and all the usual suspects would make excellent candidates for a light to medium duty fixed blade. I would imagine the deciding factor would end up being your intended price point and where the knife was going to be manufactured. S90v wasn't my favorite steel to work with. Maybe its just my sharpening but It was a little fussy to work with. It's the only thing I didn't love about the proficient.

Everyone probably has a really specific idea about what would make this knife perfect. I doubt you'll please everyone but I appreciate Spyderco trying to thoughtfully add to its fixed blade line when folders are obviously the much larger market.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I've always felt the FB27 Woodcraft "Mule" was a better design than the MT Mules.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Sal knows his customers better than I do but if I was selecting steel I'd go with Cruwear/PD#1 , CPM M4, or K390 and if stainless probably CPM 154 or S35Vn. If I wanted to reach for something with a different flavor I'd use Niolox. I have that stainless in a fixed blade and it's a good performer. It has good edge stability and decent all around performance but not leading the pack in any one attribute.

Why not S90V or S110V? I see that as a premium knife line selection with somewhat higher prices. M390 and Elmax are good steels but not my first choice.

Making it in Japan with Japanese made steels makes me rethink it completely. I'd go with Super Blue or SRS 15

Joe
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Accutron wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:13 pm
How about something like this?

I like this design. CPM154 would be a great balanced steel for this platform IMHO.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Termite Toothpick

Post by Termite Toothpick »

very interested...
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek
supracor

Post by supracor »

Accutron wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:13 pm
How about something like this?

Not bad at all
I will buy something like that :)
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

If there are to be two steel offerings, my choices would be S110V and 4V. There needs to be more knives made of these steels. I'm relatively indifferent to handle material as long as it's one of the durable composites, not wood/wood laminate/plastic/etc. I'm also indifferent to sharpening choils and lanyard holes, despite the fact that I included them in my mockup.
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

Like the shape and 3d scales. But would prefer the plunge line to be similar to the serrata. Regarding the lanyard hole, could there be a hole in the tang but not in the scales? To allow the customer to drill/machine the scales if they choose to go the lanyard route.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
mb1

Post by mb1 »

I think the design changes will be covered. My 2 wish list items would be micarta scales and at least 1 tool steel option...something in the higher toughness spectrum.

Looking forward to the end product on this one Sal!
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
arty

Post by arty »

I would like to see S35V or CPM154. If in a high carbon steel, I am a fan of M4.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:32 pm
AEB-L, or even CPM 20V, as per the Sustain.
I really like 20cv.

What is the ideal price point for this fixed blade? That might give some insight into what steels could be considered.
supracor

Post by supracor »

Super gold 2?
Just an idea
attila

Post by attila »

Yes, the price point could eliminate some steels and would be good to know ahead of time.

I heard that Spyderco's RWL-34 is very well executed. Is it an expensive steel to procure and produce blades from? Otherwise, if it's as good as everyone says, I'd like LC200N for the stainless version. Other intriguing stainlesses are SRS-15 and Super Gold 2 (UNlaminated).

If there will be a stainless and a non-stainless version, I have a suggestion for the latter. No major manufacturer uses it yet (I wish it had made it into the Mule team), but Bohler's K490 would be a great CPM M4 class tool steel with better toughness and corrosion resistance. If that's too expensive, I'd like to see K390, CPM 4V, or CPM Cruwear.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

I'd like to throw in a vote for LC200N as a steel option. It's such a nice all-arounder.
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

This thread definitely has my attention.
Micarta like the Temperance would be nice to see.
Will this be made in Golden?

Think it would be cool to see a new fixed blade like this from each Spyderco factory here and around the globe with their best offering in steel and quality. It could even be a little competition and help with pricing? Maybe even a poll sent out ahead of time asking what steels we would like to see (stainless - non stainless) from those factories to drive strong sales before they drop.
C
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

If that Not Actual Product Photo became an actual product photo, that would be sweet.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

One thing I want to add is that I am a big fan of guards on knives. They do not have to be large, but they need to be sufficient to keep precious fingers from sliding onto the blade when the hand is wet or gooey. This is a feature I purposely look for and it is based on practical experience, not arm chair opinion. Apparently, Phil Wilson shares my opinion on this for the same reasons. There is a good reason that profession fillet and other such knives have a guard, and so do good hunting knives. Guards protect the irreplaceable.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

I also like micarta, because even smooth it has some grip. I'd like to see the handle with screw construction so it's easier to clean and easier to put on custom handles. As far as steels, I think it would be cool to see a nice stainless (LC200N, 20CV, S90V, M390, S110V) and a tougher tool steel (3V, 4V, PD-1, Cruwear, CPM-M4). I'm also against choils in most cases (if you have enough room on the actual handle, why sacrifice the blade to make it into extra handle room?) I like the rendering, I might make it a little more leaf shape (taller, a little more material behind the tip, and maybe bring the lanyard hole protrusion in a bit more).