New fixed blade - need help

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JonLeBlanc

Re: New fixed blade - need help

Post by JonLeBlanc »

^Agreed on the affordability rationale; that said, I think paper micarta would be super cool on a knife like the one being conjured. I’d also defer to the judgment of others on the BD1N idea, but I’d also be THRILLED if there were a carbon steel option!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
sal

Post by sal »

I wasn't thinking of heavy checkering on the scale. Nothing too rough to use for a while without discomfort. Maybe a bead balst for texture.

sal
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I agree with this, especially on a fixed blade where you can afford heavy contouring, you don't need the grip of texture like you do on a slab sided folder. Heavy contour > heavy texture. I love micarta as well, and it seems like it'd be more doable since the knife is made locally, perhaps? Truthfully, though, scale material is far less important than handle shape (if if they easily detach you can do what you want anyway).
animportant

Post by animportant »

Release the waterway in cruwear/3v and cpm 20cv/m390/cts204p!
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

sal wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:43 pm
Hi all,

I'm considering a "Mule Team" style fixed blade as a permanent model for the line. It won't be many steels, maybe a couple of variations, but it will be a finished knife. Handle & sheath. Highly functional.

The Mule Team served its purpose well. I had come up with some improvements over the years, but didn't want to change it in the interest of science, apples & apples, etc.

I'm planning to make it a bit longer, maybe 3-3/4" blade, same basic shape, general utility, some minor mods to the ergos in the handle. A 3-D machined scale with no texture.

I thought to ask for your input as I'm working on the design.

sal
Examples of good blade tips for short knives might be:
- ESEE-CM6
- Chris Reeve Green Beret

Examples of ways to finish off the butt end of the knife might be:
- ESEE-5
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
navin johnson

Post by navin johnson »

Different grinds (steel dependent) for different applications?
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

I'm not against this idea of a longer Mule, but I'd rather see a shorter Aqua Salt.
FFG LC200N blade in a compact but utility oriented design like the already mentioned Cold Steel Master Hunter or Fallkniven F1, but with Spyderco's magic in it.
The ultimate go anywhere knife for bushcrafters, hunters, fishermen, backpackers, military personnel.
blendergasket

Post by blendergasket »

If there was one thing I'd change it would be the angle of the thumb ramp. It makes the knife handle feel much smaller. If the angle of the thumb ramp eere more shallow I would be able to more comfortably stretch my thumb out on the ramp.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

sal wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:31 pm
I wasn't thinking of heavy checkering on the scale. Nothing too rough to use for a while without discomfort. Maybe a bead balst for texture.

sal

Use a fixed blade in low light fishing, hunting and in the boat. Bright colour Handel option

Dream of a Spyderco glow in the dark plastic Handel like

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=glow ... f8RhVhlxcM:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (6.99 KiB) Viewed 3247 times
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

sal wrote:

sal
+1 Love bead blast texture on G10 and CF. Best feeling texture with just enough traction.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

My thoughts:

Use some good, inexpensive low carbide steels like AEB-L or 14C28N with a nice rockwell hardness. Outside of that, my only other issue with the normal mule team blades was that the spine on the blade was a bit sharper than I'd like.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

sal wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:43 pm
Hi all,

I'm considering a "Mule Team" style fixed blade as a permanent model for the line. It won't be many steels, maybe a couple of variations, but it will be a finished knife. Handle & sheath. Highly functional.

The Mule Team served its purpose well. I had come up with some improvements over the years, but didn't want to change it in the interest of science, apples & apples, etc.

I'm planning to make it a bit longer, maybe 3-3/4" blade, same basic shape, general utility, some minor mods to the ergos in the handle. A 3-D machined scale with no texture.

I thought to ask for your input as I'm working on the design.

sal

THANK YOU sal! This is exactly what I was picturing in my mind when I asked about a fixed blade with a blade under four inches.

I personally think it should use LC200N stainless nitrogen steel. Regarding the handle scale, are there materials besides G10 that would be good for this and which can be machined? Perhaps some high-strength polymer that does not require the same conditions as FRN?

Also, I think a serrated or part serrated version would be good.
SpyderEdgeForever

Cujobob wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:07 pm
My thoughts:

Use some good, inexpensive low carbide steels like AEB-L or 14C28N with a nice rockwell hardness. Outside of that, my only other issue with the normal mule team blades was that the spine on the blade was a bit sharper than I'd like.

I like your suggestion of Sandvik 14C28N
SpyderEdgeForever

tonijedi wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:42 pm
I'm not against this idea of a longer Mule, but I'd rather see a shorter Aqua Salt.
FFG LC200N blade in a compact but utility oriented design like the already mentioned Cold Steel Master Hunter or Fallkniven F1, but with Spyderco's magic in it.
The ultimate go anywhere knife for bushcrafters, hunters, fishermen, backpackers, military personnel.
toni, that is an excellent idea and similiar to the image I had pictured in my mind. A shorter Aqua Salt like blade, with good thickness but enough edge to slice well, too.
SpyderEdgeForever

sal wrote:

sal
Yeah sal definitely a smooth texture with not alot of roughness. One thing that originally repelled me from G10 was that I purchased a cheapo knife with G10 scales and the finish was a horrible rough thing, until I got Spyderco G10, that changed the whole concept for me.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have a knife in this size range in 14C28N and it is good steel, for what it is. I think it might be better run harder, but I don't know. I bought this particular knife because I liked the design and the handle was large enough for my hand and the price was right. The steel was a tertiary decision.

I wonder what N steel is out there that we have not tried? Could there be an XHP+N for example?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Gevatter

Post by Gevatter »

I would love to see a return of the Temperance 1 with some changes. Bi-directional texturing, different colors and a little taper towards the blade if that is possible with FRN.