Swick 5 Wharnie in LC200N

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: Swick 5 Wharnie in LC200N

Post by sal »

Hi Chris, Ez,

The protos are at the Sheath maker (SheathpPro) now. Chistina will make proto sheaths to make sure the design is sound. The plan is for a full sheath with rings all the way around. Chris can make a "Taco" style sheath if you want one, but in this design, the "TPO", (Thumb Push Off) must be failsafe. Chris has made Taco style sheaths with the TPO, (Like the Waterway) but it's not a positive 100% of the time in an emergency. Also the narrower sheath can likely rotate making the knife facing the wrong way if needed immediately.

sal
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I am so excited for this!

Is the handle shape going to be the same as the 3 and 4?
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
sal

Post by sal »

Very similar. We made only slight ergo mods to each variation.

sal
Tims

Post by Tims »

I missed the boat on the Swicks so really looking forward to this one. Very happy to hear FRN is on the cards.

Sal, you mentioned two finger hole sizes. Can you speak a bit on the thinking behind the different hole sizes. Is it strictly to cater to different hand/finger sizes or is it a control in the hand thing?
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Awesome! I'm making a set of wooden scales for my S4. I'll go ahead and rough cut another set.

Have you guys tested LC200N as a hardware(screw/bolts) material yet?
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Sweet!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Tims,

Mostly to serve different hand sizes. Something to fit my finger is large for a small female hand.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:30 pm
... Chris can make a "Taco" style sheath if you want one, but in this design, the "TPO", (Thumb Push Off) must be failsafe. Chris has made Taco style sheaths with the TPO, (Like the Waterway) but it's not a positive 100% of the time in an emergency. Also the narrower sheath can likely rotate making the knife facing the wrong way if needed immediately.

sal

I´m used to learn a lot about knives from Sal, but now these are two points concerning sheats I never thought of... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sal

Post by sal »

For my designs, I will generally go for optimal function.

Prime directive: The most important thing about a knife is that you have it with you when you need it. It cannot function for you if left on your dresser. So portability is critical. Not too large or heavy or you might choose not to carry it.

Prime directive: The most important thing about a blade used for self defense is that you do not drop it. If it is hard to hold on to, or easily knocked out of your hand, it's no longer going to assist you.

In the heat of the moment where the rubber meets the road, seconds count.

sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

Sal, one thing I'm curious about after reading your replies, is the scale texture. When you say it has G10 similar to the waterway, are you referring more to the construction similarities, i.e. hidden pins, or does it also share a similar texture? I was thinking a more traditional G10 texture might work better for a design that may be carried next to the skin.
:unicorn
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Viv,

Hidden pins. smooth scale. Grip is not an issue due to the finger ring, thickness in the palm is the issue.

sal
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I’m liking everything I’m hearing, Sal! While the rotating issue wouldn’t be a problem for me personally because I’ll be carrying it IWB with a clip, for the general market a wider sheath would certainly be more beneficial for someone who might carry in the pocket for example where it could rotate. It’s nice to hear the thought process behind the decisions! I don’t mind purchasing more sheathes anyways because I can have multiple sheathes set up for different modes of carry, then I don’t have to physically unscrew hardware to go from IWB to a pack mount, etc.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
vivi

Post by vivi »

sal wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:25 pm
Hi Viv,

Hidden pins. smooth scale. Grip is not an issue due to the finger ring, thickness in the palm is the issue.

sal
I think that will work very well.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

I may have missed it, but does anyone know the price on this yet? Ballpark?

I've wanted a Swick/Spot ever since I saw one posted on bladeforums several years ago. I'd really like to try one out, but I'm concerned about the price. If there was a Byrd version I'd pick one up immediately.

Knowing my track record with edc fixed blades, I'd really like a cheap version to try out first. Regardless, I'll enjoy seeing everyone's pics of the Swick. Seems like such a useful tool.
sal

Post by sal »

We'll keep the price as low as we can, but the value, if needed, is worth far more than the price.

sal
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Having a swick in a rustproof steel is going to be great for a close-carried tool that may see a bunch of sweat!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I wasn´t even really aware of the Swick tbh, but it is very interesting to read (especially from Sal as the designer) what thoughts go into the making of a knife (and even sheath), designed for a special purpose.

I really begin to like the design in shape and presumed ergos, but I never thought of carrying a knife primarily for self defense (and think I never will) . But as an utility fixed blade, the Swick could work very well, if the blade (egde) was longer (around 3 "). I know, that would run contrary to the role as a small and easy to carry self defense tool (for which purpose it seems to be perfectly designed!) , so I don´t think the chances will be very high to see a longer bladed Swick.

It´s a shame, now both small Spydie fixed blades that really interest me, have just a bit too short blades. Swick, and Enuff. Both I´d strongly consider, if they offered an actual edge about 3" long...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

I like to pair my Swick with a larger folder. The Swicks handle most utility work for me aside from food prep.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:21 am
I like to pair my Swick with a larger folder. The Swicks handle most utility work for me aside from food prep.
That would be a good option for me either most of the time.

But there are some specific scenarious, when I need a smaller, but not TOO small fixed blade: One is multi-day-winter mountaineering or ski touring.
There are very primitiv shelters in the mountains, equipped with also very primitive wood stoves for cooking and heating. The stored wood is of minor quality most times, often wet on the outside, and the ovens don´t work very well. So there is a lot of minor batoning to do. No big stuff, just splitting smaller diameter wood to get dry and easily inflammable heating material. As said, it´s a lot of batoning, so a folder is somewhat cumbersome for that, and a small fixed blade better suited.

Additionally I have to really cut down on weight on multi-day- winter-outings, so I bring only ONE knife (no additional folder); plus, I want some emergency mini-prybar, so it has to be a fixed blade anyway

What I want, is a rather sturdy, full (exposed) tang fixed blade, with a 3 " edge (also better for food prep). Good steel (VG10, S30V) around 100 grams in weight, compact in size and in the 100 dollar range. Don´t know if Spyderco offers such a knife... ?!
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

W, it sounds like a Mora would be a good choice for you. Inexpensive and well known to be capable of wood processing and fire making. Yes they can break with overzealous batoning. But lots of folks use them without breakage.