Your Two Favorite Locks

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Favorite Lock Types

Slip Joint
5%
Ball Bearing Lock
2%
Caged Ball Bearing Lock
9%
Compression Lock
30%
Liner Lock
11%
Mid-Back Lock
27%
Reeves Integral Lock (frame)
11%
Other
4%

Total votes: 141

ZMW

Re: Your Two Favorite Locks

Post by ZMW »

Depends on the knife’s size. For a mid to large folder, compression lock is amazing imo. For smaller folders, backlock or liner lock. I enjoyed the persistence liner lock for that small to mid sized knife. Delica’s back lock is always a favorite as well.

I do enjoy the axis lock a ton too, but it’s been awhile since I had my Gript. Axis vs the compression is a fun discussion, even though they are different I think they are both perfect for mid to large folders
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

The compression lock is my favorite, but I have almost all back locks, so I voted those two. I am not a fan of frame locks, but I do like many of the knives that utilize them.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Sam Burgess and Jason Taumalolo. :cool:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The mid back lock because it's reliable and hand neutral. My "other" favorite has never been used by Spyderco. It's whatever you'd call the mechanism of DA/OTF automatic, because it's fun.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

There is no question that the mid back lock is the superior lock over all based on strength, bias to close (safety), fully ambidextrous, intuitive, and long lasting. My second favorite is the caged ball bearing lock because it has a bias to close (safety) though not as strongly as the mid back lock, it is stronger than the other lock listed except the mid back lock, and it is fully ambidextrous.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Give me a back lock any day. I like Sal's slippie engineering too, if there's no lock. Non Spyderco would be the Triad, the super back lock.
- best wishes, Jazz.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I voted comp lock and back lock. Today I'm carrying 3 backlock spydies. I prefer the comp lock but backlocks are a close second. Not to mention some of my favorite designs are backlocks. Wish they would make a 4" folder with a comp lock. The szabo is nice and all but it's not the best slicer.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Non-Spyderco would be a TriAd, backlock, button lock

here I voted Mid-back lock and Liner lock because I know I can trust Spyderco with those, others not so much
vivi

Post by vivi »

VashHash wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:06 am
I voted comp lock and back lock. Today I'm carrying 3 backlock spydies. I prefer the comp lock but backlocks are a close second. Not to mention some of my favorite designs are backlocks. Wish they would make a 4" folder with a comp lock. The szabo is nice and all but it's not the best slicer.
The Szabo cuts surprisingly well with a thinned out bevel. It'll never match my Police or Millie, but it's closer than I expected. At least the tip is nice and thin, pierces effortlessly.

IMO how much it weighs is a bigger draw back than the grind. It weighs 3x as much as my Pacific Salt. Still love it though, it's a really neat design. It's the only compression lock knife I've held on to.
:unicorn
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:31 am
VashHash wrote:
The Szabo cuts surprisingly well with a thinned out bevel. It'll never match my Police or Millie, but it's closer than I expected. At least the tip is nice and thin, pierces effortlessly.

IMO how much it weighs is a bigger draw back than the grind. It weighs 3x as much as my Pacific Salt. Still love it though, it's a really neat design. It's the only compression lock knife I've held on to.
I thinned the edge on mine but I carry my ulize more when I'm looking for a larger folder. It carries a lot better than the szabo. I'd settle for a military with a comp lock though.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

I skipped the slipjoint tu just pick locks that actually lock 'fixed'. Slipjoint is great as well though.
My favorite is the backlock, I picked the caged ball bearing lock 2nd. In my experience all of these locks are pretty good at keeping a blade closed.
(presuming it is well executed, 2 out of 3 Emersons I have used have had failing linerlocks but I've never seen them fail on another brand)
My 2nd major safety concern with locks is wether they can keep a blade closed as well, I've had quite some experience with compression locks or liner locks opening up when not meant to which can be quite a risk.
Sometimes do miss my PM2, hope there will someday be a back lock version. ;)
BravoTango

Post by BravoTango »

Compression and RIL here.

Backlocks and slipjoints... remind me too much of my grandpa's old-timers. Even though I own several Spyderco backlocks, and admire their reliability, I ultimately find them boring. Unpopular opinion, I know!

*promptly hides in defilade*
:spyder: Ben,

The North Remembers.

Has (Always in flux): Shaman, Chef, Techno, M390 Para 3, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 M4. Manix 2 XL, Blue Weave Domino, CF Chaparral, Vtoku2 Endura 4, D-Fly Salt Hawk SE.[/s].

Wants: Manix 2 XL CPM-M4 or 4V, Compression Lock, Tip-up Military, Yojimbo 2 XL.
vivi

Post by vivi »

BravoTango wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:56 pm
Compression and RIL here.

Backlocks and slipjoints... remind me too much of my grandpa's old-timers. Even though I own several Spyderco backlocks, and admire their reliability, I ultimately find them boring. Unpopular opinion, I know!

*promptly hides in defilade*
Backlocks are my favorite, but when I first got into Spyderco that wasn't the case. I viewed them similar as you, thinking they were old school tech that's been outdated ever since the liner lock came about, because liner locks are so much easier to use.

After some years with both lock types I started to see advantages to the old school backlock, and with Sal's decision to place the lock release where he did, one handed closing is a dream compared to my old Buck 110's.

I can sympathize with your views, even if I no longer agree with them.
vivi

Post by vivi »

VashHash wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:26 pm
Vivi wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:31 am
VashHash wrote:

I thinned the edge on mine but I carry my ulize more when I'm looking for a larger folder. It carries a lot better than the szabo. I'd settle for a military with a comp lock though.
My Police 3 is my go to big folders for similar reasons. It carries much better than other folders in its size class.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Linerlocks are old tech, not a new modern design. They came into their own in the late 1800's and a design was patented around 1906 or so. The lock back is also old, but it was perfected by Al Buck (of Buck knife fame) and further improved by Spyderco and Andrew Demko. This lock remains the top lock for strength and practicality, despite the advent of newer designs.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Sitting on my table are knives with slip joint, a compression lock, a Walker Liner Lock and a back
Lock. Except for the One-Eyed Jack which actually needs the liner lock, I wish the others were back locks. They are simple, ambidextrous, strong, and keep the blade closed. What’s not to like?
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
harronek

Post by harronek »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:25 pm
Easy.

I chose the locks I do because they are the only ones I find do a good enough job keeping the knife securely closed, while the others only do a good job at keeping the knife locked open in my experience.
Absolutely the best answer

Ken
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

harronek wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:00 am
Vivi wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:25 pm
Easy.

I chose the locks I do because they are the only ones I find do a good enough job keeping the knife securely closed, while the others only do a good job at keeping the knife locked open in my experience.
Absolutely the best answer

Ken
Would those be the back lock and slip joint?
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation