Against the grain...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bodog

Against the grain...

Post by Bodog »

What do you personally believe about knives and steel that run contrary to popular opinion?

I don't like S30V at all. I've gotten it to rust. It chips out on me pretty easily. It adds cost that doesn't need to be there because other, even cheaper, steels are more capable at pretty much everything.

I'd like the plain edge at the heel and the serrations at the belly. Some might think I'm really odd for saying that.

I can't stand the thought of using my EDC pocket knife for cutting up food or making PBJ sandwiches. It just grosses me out knowing where my blade has been.

And totally unrelated to knives, i cannot, absolutely will not, tolerate beverage commercials that make me listen to liquid, especially carbonated, being poured or a can or bottle being popped open. Odd, i know. I just can't stand it.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
MichaelScott

Re: Against the grain...

Post by MichaelScott »

I like S30V, VG10, BD1, etc. None have rolled, chipped or otherwise been damaged. Perhaps that is due to how I use them. I like them because they are fine steels and keep the cost down on knives I want.

I routinely use my Spyderco folders in the kitchen and make certain I clean them after I use them in the kitchen or elsewhere.

I suppose if I had a use for a serrated edge I would carry a separate SE knife.

I respect steel junkies’ lust for “non-ordinary” (whatever that may mean) steels but, frankly, I am only intellectually interested and would not buy a super steel knife. They are just too expensive.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I kinda agree with the serrations thing. I want a combo edge with the serrations in the middle...I want about an inch or so of plain edge at the heel and the tip.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I like stainless, patina does nothing for me.

I like the basic steels, I think the majority of my knives are VG-10, and I’m cool with that. I’d actually prefer Spyderco put more resources into handle ergos and variations. For instance, I’d take a PM2 sprint with S30V and a 3D machined/contoured handle over a steel sprint.

I like FRN handles, they’re light and utilitarian. Also they tend to be more rounded and comfortable than G10. Also the molded texture is awesome, and the escutcheon under the clip makes drawing easier.

I like backlocks. If you don’t need a flow through construction, they’re hard to beat.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Steels like s30v are my preferred and the **** they get are ridiculous. My fav is m4 though.

Partially against the grain, but edc-ing a fixed blade if you live an urban or suburban life is ridiculous. I mean do it if that's what fulfills you but eh.

Also I don't don't don't care for flippers.
I also don't care for fidgetability.
Finally I'm no fan of ball pearing pivots.
Last edited by knivesandbooks on Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

My opinions rarely fit the popular mold, and I'm fine with that.

I tend to like larger knives.

I tend to like heavier knives.

I like carrying more than 1 knife over 1 "well rounded" knife (when i carry 2 knives, one can be small) to be more prepared for all tasks.

I like high toughness steels in folders.

I like full steel or titanium liners.

Not a fan of lanyards.

Clip orientation isn't a deal breaker.

I like one handed openers, preferably with fast deployment (spydie hole accomplishes this usually).

I like phosphor bronze washers.

I prefer strong locks just as much as convenient ones.

Lock type isn't a deal breaker.

I like fully serrated knives, but not combo edges.

I USE knives, and sell the ones I don't use often.

I freehand sharpen exclusively.

For any knife company, there are only a handful of models I truly like.

Although I do like several models from spyderco, the steel selection is what got me hooked.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Pelagic wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:37 pm

I like carrying more than 1 knife over 1 "well rounded" knife (when i carry 2 knives, one can be small) to be more prepared for all tasks.

I like high toughness steels in folders.

I like full steel or titanium liners.

Not a fan of lanyards.

Clip orientation isn't a deal breaker.

I like one handed openers, preferably with fast deployment (spydie hole accomplishes this usually).

I like phosphor bronze washers.

I prefer strong locks just as much as convenient ones.

Lock type isn't a deal breaker.

I like fully serrated knives, but not combo edges.

I USE knives, and sell the ones I don't use often.

I freehand sharpen exclusively.

For any knife company, there are only a handful of models I truly like.

Although I do like several models from spyderco, the steel selection is what got me hooked.

Are you me?? :D I agree with all of those.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I think how often I clean and maintain my knives runs counter to most peoples way of thinking.

Sharpening, stropping, polishing cloths, Q-tips, compressed air, alcohol, oil... I spend a fair amount of time trying to keep my knives clean and looking nice. I wipe down my work knives, handle and blade, with 90% rubbing alcohol at the end of the day every time I carry them. It gets rid of any residue and disinfects as well. I keep my handles dirt/dust/lint free. I think most would believe it was unnecessary or ocd. I am what I am I guess.

And maybe not against the grain for this forum, but I don't think your average Joe believes that you need to have more than one pocket knife (some don't even feel the need to carry one), let alone own several or carry 3 at a time.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I don’t enjoy FRN at all. I appreciate that it’s light, but so is G10. Gimme linerless G10 any day.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Flicking. I cannot stand flicking blades.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:49 pm
Flicking. I cannot stand flicking blades.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I have enough knives.

I'm a fan of sharpening choils or better yet blades that have a sharp heel that projects a bit below the handle (extreme example: Ouroborous). Spyderco seems to always want to put something in the way of the heel.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Before I discovered the Spyderco Jumpmaster 2 I asked Mr Veff what it would cost to commission him to put serrations along the entire base of a Bark River Knives Bravo 3 knife in 3V. He did not seem too thrilled with the idea.

I bought the Spyderco Jumpmaster 2 the day that I discovered it. Serrations on large blades is underrated.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Pelagic wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:37 pm

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
supracor

Post by supracor »

Bodog wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:07 pm

I don't like S30V at all. I've gotten it to rust. It chips out on me pretty easily. It adds cost that doesn't need to be there because other, even cheaper, steels are more capable at pretty much everything.
Friend of mine.

I hate drop points, black coatings, damascus patterns, et cetera...

Oh, i hate carbon steel/hss folders: in truth I love them but I'm always afraid to make them rust :(
vivi

Post by vivi »

ctsbd1 is one of the best steels spyderco offers

folders with blades under 3.5" don't interest me

i don't care for thumb ramps on most knives, because their placement is too close to where the index finger goes

98% of Spyderco knives I own have shipped with an edge I find much too thick

I'm not interested in folders with detent based locks

I want a sprint SE H1 catcherman, black handle black blade

why spyderco makes so many carbon steel folders and so few carbon steel fixed blades escapes me.

I have no issue owning multiple knives in the same steel

I'd be fine with all of my PE Spydercos being bd1 and all of my serrated Spydercos being H1.

I care more about corrosion resistance than edge holding

I don't like low ride clips

Pacific Salts are the smallest folders I EDC

I love Spydercos DLC for the added corrosion resistance, especially when they coat the liners too. It's crazy to me that whether or not DLC aids corrosion resistance is still a debate. It's obvious it does.
:unicorn
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:24 am
ctsbd1 is one of the best steels spyderco offers

folders with blades under 3.5" don't interest me

I want a sprint SE H1 catcherman, black handle black blade

I have no issue owning multiple knives in the same steel

I love Spydercos DLC for the added corrosion resistance, especially when they coat the liners too. It's crazy to me that whether or not DLC aids corrosion resistance is still a debate. It's obvious it does.
The items that I agree with you on are ones that I very much agree with. I've been trying to get Spyderco to bring back a full Spyderedged Catcherman for well over 10 years now. I'm lucky/fortunate enough to have gotten one of the older AUS-8, full SE Catcherman models and it's one of my most used Spyders in the kitchen of any other Spyder I've ever owned and I'm sure many would agree with me if they had one too.

Since I made the M390 Military my main EDC I don't have much use for an EDC under 3.5 inches long either. Because I've just found the longer blade to have many more uses overall.

Knives with the same blade steel:>> I own a myriad of Spyders made with VG-10 and I still kind of like the steel for every day uses and find it relatively easy to maintain. I also agree with the one Brother that S30V is not a favorite of mine>> I far prefer VG-10 over S30V and I'm a big fan of Crucible blade steels but not S30V.

And most people don't carry a companion blade ( SE along with PE) with the exception of a very few of you guys here on the Forum>> but I would never leave the house without a full SE blade and a full PE blade. I've done that regimen for over 10 years now and it works for me. Whereas unfortunately I'm seeing the Spyderedge becoming less and less popular over time>> and I can't for the life of me understand why :confused: But I use serrated blades almost as much as I use PE.
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

Bloke, that's not a knife... :rolleyes:
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
attila

Post by attila »

I avoid/don't trust liner locks and frame locks.
I might break this trend with the REX 45 Military, just for the handle color, size, and steel.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

-Steels don’t matter when your knife doesn’t leave your “knife safe” AKA sock draw.

-titanium is unnecessary and expensive

-Damascus looks crap

-the fact that spyderco won’t supply internals on models with known issues like the Mantra is dumb.