Against the grain...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jazz

Re: Against the grain...

Post by Jazz »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:31 pm

Well that's a whole different subject. I'm not gonna mention anything in particular because I'm not trying to call people out but some of these are so silly I'm surprised anyone cares enough to be bothered by them. I guess we all have our hangups.

Okay, yes, I see what you’re saying. Some kooky stuff.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:42 pm
No D, you are correct. We do over analyze this stuff. That is sometimes what a hobby is all about. ;)
I am an over analyser, maybe too much.
Wish I could shut that off somehow!?

Coming up on 9 yrs marriage next week, 15 yrs together with my wife. Were both Italian + passionate about everything, hobbies, etc. First couple years were tough, battling back and forth over the most stupid ****.
Long story short...it's the small stuff that will kill you.
We all have opinions, and we should be validated by them. But one thing I have learned is to pick my battles, and big picture - that life is just to short to sweat the small stuff. I think Charlie Chaplin / Bloke have it right. A day without laughter is a day wasted.
Just my thoughts + respect to all.

Back on topic:
I don't understand tip down.
I just would not want a blade swinging that way?
But it's not my money, and it's not my knife, so do you.
C
Last edited by Calicoast on Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Calicoast wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:13 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:42 pm
No D, you are correct. We do over analyze this stuff. That is sometimes what a hobby is all about. ;)
Analyzing is good but sometimes I suffer from paralysis by analysis and just need to make myself do things. I’ll plan a project for too long sometimes.

I am on over analyser, maybe too much.
Wish I could shut that off somehow!?

Coming up on 9 yrs marriage next week, 15 yrs together with my wife. Were both Italian + passionate about everything, hobbies, etc. First couple years were tough, battling back and forth over the most stupid ****.
Long story short...it's the small stuff that will kill you.
We all have opinions, and we should be validated by them. But one thing I have learned is to pick my battles, and big picture - that life is just to short to sweat the small stuff. I think Charlie Chaplin / Bloke have it right. A day without laughter is a day wasted.
Just my thoughts + respect to all.

Back on topic:
I don't understand tip down.
I just would not want a blade swinging that way?
But it's not my money, and it's not my knife, so do you.
C
I have been with my wife for 18 years who happens to be Italian. I am Irish so we make an interesting combo.

Congrats on 15 years together. More than my relationship, my three year old has taught me about picking my battles. Whoa! Raising kids ain’t easy!

As George Carlin said, “don’t sweat the petty things and don’t pet the sweaty things. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

^^^
Thanks Darby.
Congrats to you as well.
Italian / Irish is quite the combo as well.

Hear ya on the kid(s)
I was laid off in early 2017, (6) months after our first daughter was born. My wife and I reversed roles, she is now a nurse, and I have been Mr. Mom since then. Learning to take a step back, and take a deep breath every once in awhile has helped me alot.
Patience is a definitely a virtue. :)

And Carlin was the man.
My parents first date.
C
me2

Post by me2 »

If it wasn't serious, it wouldn't be on the internet.
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

I've been in love with Spyderco knives since the mid 90s, but the most recently released model I own is the Para3. It's been awhile since I've been excited for a new Spyderco knife.

I don't care for high-end super steels, especially non-stainless ones. I see comments all over YouTube of users bashing new knives for this year (especially from Kershaw) with 8Cr13MoV and just don't understand that mentality. I especially don't understand the huge drive for all budget knives to have D2 steel. It's just not my cup of tea.

I love flippers, assisted openers, and autos as much as my spydie-hole knives.

I love aluminum handled knives. I know they're sometimes heavier, and not as grippy. However, aluminum allows so much flexibility to do limited runs of different colors because anodizing aluminum a different color seems to be easier for companies than sourcing G-10 or FRN in different colors.

Along with aluminum, FRN is my other favorite handle material. Then G-10, then micarta. I do not like Carbon Fiber.

The older I get, the less I care about looking for the mythical "perfect" knife, and the more I find contentment with the ones I actually own.
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

ASmitty wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:35 pm

The older I get, the less I care about looking for the mythical "perfect" knife, and the more I find contentment with the ones I actually own.
^^^
This.
Being appreciative for what I have.
That's against the grain for me.
Always wanting more when it's right there.
C
silvershade255

Post by silvershade255 »

I've come to really like the laminated blades, it makes me think of hamon lines. Granted if it's too horribly uneven I'd be a bit bothered. I don't really get the deep carry clip craze unless jurisdiction demands it be hidden. I'm also unpicky about perfectly centered blades and mirror edges, as long as it's functional.
"Seven for One"
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I just read this entire thread. Sal’s observation that learning to live and let live is valuable in many walks of life, that’s the high point for me.

As for the many posts about knife preferences, all of them seem reasonable. They aren’t all true for me, but they all seem sensible for the people who posted them. I suppose knife enthusiasts are a pretty practical group.
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

I refuse to own duplicates of the same knife. I am buying a cruwear pm2 so I will sell my base pm2. I make decent money, but can not justify having the same exact knife in a different flavor. It just bugs me personally. I have other stuff to blow my money on.

However, I still allow myself to buy knives that I truly have no need for. In reality, all I need are 4-5 knives Max. Small and large fixed. Small and large folder, and a salt. Go figure...

(Give me a delica, pm2, pac salt se, mule, and a kabar and 95% of my knife needs are met. Maybe add in a stainless mora too)

I love FRN. G10 is great too, but there is something about frn with liners that is the perfect mix of durability, comfort, and economy for me.
Mtnhiker18

Post by Mtnhiker18 »

What's a knife? A cutting tool.
Why are there so many different steel types used? No freaking idea! :)
I'd like to see a list of strengths and weaknesses for each of the steel types used.
guywithopinion

Post by guywithopinion »

I don't like frame or liner locks. I especially don't like frame locks on a flipper, as depending on how you hold it you can accidentally touch the lock bar and prevent proper opening of the knife.

I have no real preference for tip up or tip down carry. I almost always carry a knife in my left pocket, and pass it to my right hand for use (but can open them left-handed if I'm holding something that needs cutting).

I don't really like deep carry clips. Except on very short knives, I generally pull them out of my pocket by the end sticking out of my pocket. Deep carry makes this difficult. On short knives I tend to hook my index finger over the entire body of the knife and pull it out that way, so it doesn't matter as much. Short and/or light knives I tend to clip onto the top edge of my pocket (the knife is suspended by clip tension), which also affects this. I prefer that because then the clip is often hidden under my untucked shirt, making it less obvious I have a pocket knife.

I don't really find the PM2 that amazing. Partly I don't care about fidgeting with knives. But the ergos seemed sort of meh to me. They are not bad by any stretch but don't really shine either. I generally prefer the Manix. However, I am starting to come around a bit. I bought a CF/M4 version on impulse, and I can appreciate that it is lighter and thinner in the pocket. And the ergos are still fine on it. I am beginning to appreciate more how well rounded it is, vs any particular aspect really shining.

Edit: Oh, I hate patinas. I don't hate carbon blades, but I feel the need to polish them with some frequency. I can accept that they will develop some marks I can't polish out, but I couldn't just leave them looking all dark and dirty. Even an inexpensive Opinel Carbone gets polished after using it on things that tarnish it.