Dragonfly 3?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Knifewing

Dragonfly 3?

Post by Knifewing »

It's hard to mess with a classic and I'm a big believer in "If it ain't broke don't fix it." That said, I've been thinking about what I'd do to the Dragonfly 2 to make it even better. I've been EDC-ing a Super Blue Dfly 2 for a long time for non "dress" occasions, and a SE FRN version of the Dfly 2 is my dedicated travel knife. I keep trying to find something different to replace the Dfly for variety's sake--had a brief romance with the new Baby Jess Horn, tried an Al Mar Hawk Ultralight and a couple of small CRKTs, and have recently acquired an old Co-Pilot. But I always seem to reach for the SB Dfly. It really is the perfect pocket size for my purposes and I think the current blade steel offerings are just fine (Elmax or M390, of course, would be awesome). But I think a couple of improvements could be made to the next generation Dragonfly--one minor and one major:

1. (Minor) From my first Dragonfly on, I've always wished that the point/crest of the blade spine behind the Spyder hole would be slightly rounded, I've never felt the pointy, sharp-ish crest was very pocket friendly for those of us who don't clip.
2. (Major) I would love to see a Dragonfly version with a handle shape like the Byrd Robin 2/Finch 2, which is similar to the old Navigator. In this case, I guess, it would be a Spyderco model taking design cues from a Byrd design, instead of the normal other way around. The curve on the underside of the Dfly handle is just a little short for a perfectly comfortable "hold" for me. That little extra pinky length and indentation on the back end of the Robin/Finch/Navigator-style handle I think would make a world of difference.

I wouldn't touch anything else on the Dragonfly--not blade shape or length or jimping or choil or wire clip or handle material. But while I'm at it--how about a Dragonfly 2 salt in Toxic Green FRN?!
steelcity16

Re: Dragonfly 3?

Post by steelcity16 »

The DF2 is one of those that I think is perfect as-is. It was my very first Spydie and it made me a believer. It is still my second favorite model behind the Native. My only request would be for a Blacked out version of the DF2 Salt in SE H1 and PE H1. Ive seen a lot of other people request this as well. I really hope this gets made.

Anyone who hasnt tried a DF2 owes it to themself to grab one. You can easily get a DF2 Salt in H1 for under $50 if you wait for the ebay coupons and combine those with best offers. You cant beat that. Its such a small knife that dissapears in your pocket, but it is big enough for most tasks. Such an amazing design. Cant say enough about it!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I just want one that's slightly longer, just maybe 1/4-3/8 inch longer added to the end of the blade and end of the handle. It would allow for more room for the pinky finger to rest on the handle and the extra cutting edge would make an already amazing little knife even more capable.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Knifewing

Post by Knifewing »

Hey steelcity16, I'll give you the Dragonfly Salt with blacked-out H1 blade if you'll give me the toxic green FRN handle. It would be like a Dragonfly 2 version of the USN Ladybug Salt Hawkbill...
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

My first Spyderco knife was either the Dragonfly 2 or the Delica 4. I can’t remember. I almost always have a Dragonfly. Even after having strange clip issues I still have one. I carry clipless.

I don’t see where the DF needs a major upgrade from a 2 to a 3. Changing the blade and/or handle length would make it a different knife, and for me not better. Rounding the top of the jimping area is a cosmetic, not a functional change.

Just my opinion.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

DF 2 is perfect. :)

Rather than change it, I think a totally different knife would be called for, with the current DF 2 remaining as is.
Ric

Post by Ric »

Dfly is THE perfect small knife.

LC200N would be nice.

@knifewing: you should try lil native.
Not a light and tiny but a cool small knife.
Gater

Post by Gater »

My only request would be for a Blacked out version of the DF2 Salt in SE H1 and PE H1. Ive seen a lot of other people request this as well. I really hope this gets made.

x2! I thought of a previous conversation on this when I saw the black Dragonfly-length clip on the black bladed Lil Native. I bought a Lil Native as soon as they came out, but keep coming back to my SE FD2 Salt in this size range--I just wish I could get it with a stealthier black handle and wire clip. Black blade isn't a must for me, but I'd buy it that way in a second to get the black handle and clip.

Speaking of: anyone tried to order a black Lil Native clip?
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i love the df2, but it would be nice to have a blacked-out, fully-lined g10 version with lc200n. how else can i baton with it if it doesn't have liners? okay, i'm kidding about that last part, but the rest would be awesome.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The only things I want to see in a Dragonfly is 1] blue and 2] new steels
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:08 am
Will you be getting the V-TOKU2 sprint or is the blue not dark enough for you?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
araneae

Post by araneae »

I also feel its nearly perfect. I got pretty much all I had on my wish list when they made the D'fly 2. I can't imagine it being much better than this.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:20 pm
I just want one that's slightly longer, just maybe 1/4-3/8 inch longer added to the end of the blade and end of the handle. It would allow for more room for the pinky finger to rest on the handle and the extra cutting edge would make an already amazing little knife even more capable.

^^^ That. May be a flash batch XL Dfly :eek:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:17 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:08 am
Will you be getting the V-TOKU2 sprint or is the blue not dark enough for you?
I will get one if there are any around when I can afford it. I just bought a CS orange M2 and after the conversion I am in the dog house with my wife. :D
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

It's perfect the way it is, unless you want to make a Linerless Fluted Carbon Fiber PE Hawkbill Dragonfly. (A wharncliffe version would also be acceptable :D )
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:39 am
It's perfect the way it is, unless you want to make a Linerless Fluted Carbon Fiber PE Hawkbill Dragonfly. (A wharncliffe version would also be acceptable :D )

Not sure if serious but would buy.

I've been really watching the Lil Native simply because it's linerless G10, though it has very large shoes to fill. I do agree that the Dfly is essentially perfect but I'd still love to see a slightly bigger version. I think I need to draw something up..
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

elena86 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:50 am
Evil D wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:20 pm

^^^ That. May be a flash batch XL Dfly :eek:

Yeah, I'd like to see what an XL version looks like. But Id never want to see the original change. Total perfection. Nothing i would change.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Isn’t that the Lil’ Native?
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Not a DF3 really, but I'd love to see sprints in non-Japanese steels, if that's even feasible. I'm imagining DF2 in LC200N, or one of the M390/CTS204P/20CV family, or maybe M4 or Cruwear. I have 2 DF2s now; I'd buy another one for M390.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

dplafoll wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:31 am
Not a DF3 really, but I'd love to see sprints in non-Japanese steels, if that's even feasible. I'm imagining DF2 in LC200N, or one of the M390/CTS204P/20CV family, or maybe M4 or Cruwear. I have 2 DF2s now; I'd buy another one for M390.

Absolutely! Im not really huge into S30V, but id buy one in a DF2 just for variety, especially in a new FRN color. They did an S30V Delica, so this might be a possibility. One Japanese steel i'd like to see is solid Superblue like on the Caly sprints.