3V or 4V Steel in a folder.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Re: 3V or 4V Steel in a folder.

Post by steelcity16 »

So for Chad and BBB/DBH...

Which 3 folders would each of you pick to really showcase the full potential of 4V?? Whether it be blade size, thickness, geometry, etc that really would allow it to shine as a mean nail-chopping machine?? I always picture blades like the Native, Shaman, and the original C95 Manix for this. I'd love a 4V Military as well. And I would love to see a G10 Gayle Bradley 1 and 2 in 4V.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I'd just like to say that I apologize again for possibly offending anyone.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
buccilli15

Post by buccilli15 »

Interesting thread..I just re-read all nine pages, but I can't seem to find much information regarding 4V corrosion resistance. What is everybody's experience with either the DLC-coated St. Nick's or the un-coated Manix? Comparable to M4?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I live in a desert, but 4v/v4e has become one of my favorite steels and I carry it quite often. So far, I haven't had any corrosion issues on the DLC blades at all. I"m reasonably careful about caring for them and (as I said) live in a dry climate, but so far, so good.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:11 pm
Which 3 folders would each of you pick to really showcase the full potential of 4V?? Whether it be blade size, thickness, geometry, etc that really would allow it to shine as a mean nail-chopping machine??
It's not just about chopping nails. The edge stability is really good, making it a good choice for slicing blades as well. I've been carrying the 4v Lil Native pretty much since it's release, and the 4v is really excelling in this small blade.
Coffeetron

Post by Coffeetron »

I think 3v would be nice in a pm2. It would give the fine tip more flexibility when doing precision work in harder objects like wood for example.
4VE would be great as well.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The more I think on this 3V or 4V in a folder the more confused I kind of get. But at this time I would say that the old Chinook III would be an ideal folder to try out those types of steels with.

Also I would personally like to try one of the Golden made NATIVE models with either blade steel as well. However there's probably a real reason why they use those blade steels in fixed blade.
A.S.O.K.A

Post by A.S.O.K.A »

My experience with 4v is, when sharpened to a high fine grit and then stropped with diamond compound on leather, it holds a high level sharpness for a few weeks and a working edge for a few weeks giving the user well over a month of cutting( if stropped once each week). In terms of corrosion resistance, the edge and the part of the tang are the only exposed part with dlc coating. Keep these areas dry and you should have no problems. Its not a rust bucket, but its not anywhere near stainless.
Every Steel Has Its Appeal :cool:

A.S.O.K.A Edge on Youtube
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:36 am
Baron Mind wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:03 am
I like all these sprints being discussed for the native 5 platform. I think I'm ready to start snatching up natives instead of para 3's for now. S90v on the way, maxamet up next. I would love 4v or 3v after that, in that order.

I'm with you. The Native and Native LW are my favorite EDC platform with the Para 3 a close second. A 3V/4V/V4E Native or Native LW would likely never leave my pocket. Cruwear, Rex45, and 52100 would be welcome as well.

Nearly two years later and I finally have a 4V Native LW on the way. :D I have a Rex 45 Native LW as well. Unfortunately my tastes in models and steels have evolved, so while they will be entered into the rotation of users, my grail knife has shifted to wanting a Cruwear Endura. A Purple TiCN coated DLT exclusive will do just fine! :D Maybe in 2022 I'll have one in my pocket and a new grail in my head. :p

STILL waiting for some CPM-3V as well! 3V-carta Shaman in 2021??
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Now 2021 - and still not many 3V/4V options

Benchmade is using Cruwear on the adamas, and there's a Kizer (3.3") Sheepdog in 4V, but that seems to be it. Would be nice to have some to play with before MagnaCut Madness
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I know it's not a folder, but it's small like one! Similar to a Delica in size. Carrying it today, and I believe their still available.

15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:03 pm
I know it's not a folder, but it's small like one! Similar to a Delica in size. Carrying it today, and I believe their still available.

Nice, Rick! So are you liking this blade shape better, or the wharnie?
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

You don't need that much toughness in a folder.
Last edited by Paraguy on Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Some call me...Tim?"
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:36 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:03 pm

Nice, Rick! So are you liking this blade shape better, or the wharnie?
This one is nice, I've definitely been enjoying it...but the wharnie is incredible and has become my 1B to my beloved Manix. It's stolen my heart haha :p
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

4v makes more sense to me: a more balanced m4. I personally wouldn't by a folder in 3v unless it was a good deal. Cruwear makes a little more sense because of its sharpenability.
"Some call me...Tim?"