Ready for my second Spydie. Sage 5 or PM2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Which would you buy first, while waiting two months for the other?

Poll ended at Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:06 pm

Para Military 2, black, CPM S30V
79%
Sage 5, black, CPM S30V
21%

Total votes: 29

cptdean

Ready for my second Spydie. Sage 5 or PM2?

Post by cptdean »

This is a question of which of the two to by first, as the other will come in a couple of months. So, if size isn’t important, and both are black with CPM S30V, which would keep you company for 60-day wait for the other? I’m curious to see if the field is evenly split, or if one has a clear edge over the other.
Last edited by cptdean on Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes by itself.

Dragonfly 2
, Para Military 2, Native 5 Lightweight, Chaparral Lightweight, Para 3
MichaelScott

Re: Ready for my second Spydie. Sage 5 or PM2?

Post by MichaelScott »

PM2 only because I am not a Sage fan.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I’m a Sage fan. Get the PM2. Truly multipurpose.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:15 pm
I’m a Sage fan. Get the PM2. Truly multipurpose.
I'm a Sage fan too. I'm also going to suggest the PM2. Maybe go with a Para 3 if you want the PM2 features in a similar size as the Sage.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
lunde

Post by lunde »

I voted for PM2, but you should definitely go for a non–Plain Jane one, maybe wait for the CPM REX 45 one with the correct orange handles.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

PM2 hands down
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

If you’re new to steels, stick with the excellent and proven S30V. No one really knows what Rex45 is bringing to the table
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Spydermane

Post by Spydermane »

PM2
But not in S30V.

Dings up too easy.
I dropped my PM2 on a carpeted floor from waist height and the tip bent.
Cutting nothing but cardboard i noticed dings up and down the blade with mild to soft use.

H1 steel is the only steel that has disappointed me more.
I dropped it from 2 feet or less maybe
onto a another metal surface.
Again the tip was bent and other dings were on the edge.
Way too soft

Maybe it's the heat treatment.
I have a cheap buck knife in S30V and i
Swear...
Bucks S30V seems harder.
I can feel the difference when touching them up
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Spydermane wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:23 pm
PM2
But not in S30V.

Dings up too easy.
Cutting nothing but cardboard i noticed dings up and down the blade with mild to soft use.

H1 steel is the only steel that disappointed me more.
I dropped it from 2 feet maybe.
Onto a another metal surface.
Way too soft
I have several Spyderco knives with S30V. All have cut cardboard. Some have cut a lot of cardboard. No dings, chips, or any other issues with any of them.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:52 pm
Spydermane wrote:
PM2
But not in S30V.

Dings up too easy.

Way too soft
I have several Spyderco knives with S30V. All have cut cardboard. Some have cut a lot of cardboard. No dings, chips, or any other issues with any of them.
I've had mild chipping with s30v but that was with a factory edge. I've never had chipping after i put my own edge on it. This is on knives that got used on and off during 10 hour days in a warehouse cutting cardboard, strapping, rope, and whatever garbage got in the way. Part of me thinks that s30 chipping happens when one doesnt fully eliminate a burr after sharpening. But then again, Idk why I've had iffy luck with factory edges.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:58 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Spydermane wrote:
PM2
But not in S30V.

Dings up too easy.

Way too soft
I've had mild chipping with s30v but that was with a factory edge. I've never had chipping after i put my own edge on it. This is on knives that got used on and off during 10 hour days in a warehouse cutting cardboard, strapping, rope, and whatever garbage got in the way. Part of me thinks that s30 chipping happens when one doesnt fully eliminate a burr after sharpening. But then again, Idk why I've had iffy luck with factory edges.
Mine have seen plenty of action in a warehouse too. Lots of cardboard, poly banding, even some wood. No issues. I'm not saying you guys haven't seen any issues but I also don't think the OP should worry about buying a knife with S30V. I can only imagine that Spyderco's sold a ton of knives with S30V.

Anyway...cptdean, both models you're considering are great choices. Buy the one that speaks to you now and look forward to getting the other in the future.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:24 pm
knivesandbooks wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
Spydermane wrote:
PM2
But not in S30V.

Dings up too easy.

Way too soft
Mine have seen plenty of action in a warehouse too. Lots of cardboard, poly banding, even some wood. No issues. I'm not saying you guys haven't seen any issues but I also don't think the OP should worry about buying a knife with S30V. I can only imagine that Spyderco's sold a ton of knives with S30V.

Anyway...cptdean, both models you're considering are great choices. Buy the one that speaks to you now and look forward to getting the other in the future.
I agree. S30v is honestly in my top 5 just becuase I find it well rounded. My s30v pm2 is my most used knife. The OP should have no problems with s30v. Its easy to sharpen too. I wouldn't even consider steel. Just consider the blade shape and ergos and size. My vote is still for the pm2. There's a reason most of us own multiples of it.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I like both models a lot and have a handful of each.

The Para2 is the better working knife. Better ergonomics, longer blade and I prefer the blade shape.

The Sage is a better EDC and gents knife. Deeper carry, smaller size, classier looking and more innocuous. It can do almost everything you would need a knife to do and it would look good doing it. If you work in an office it is probably a better fit.

I have beat the snot out of S30V and have no complaints.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
renegador

Post by renegador »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:36 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:24 pm
knivesandbooks wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:

I agree. S30v is honestly in my top 5 just becuase I find it well rounded. My s30v pm2 is my most used knife. The OP should have no problems with s30v. Its easy to sharpen too. I wouldn't even consider steel. Just consider the blade shape and ergos and size. My vote is still for the pm2. There's a reason most of us own multiples of it.
As much as I love a good steel measuring contest myself, I feel like such talk has made the "frailty" of S30V - and S110V too, imo - become a monster it isn't. I have put S30V and S110V blades through mostly mild cutting tasks as well as some harder stuff here and there such as straps, and have never had more than marginal chipping from hitting stubborn stables here and there. Even VG-10 has stood up well for me, though not to the same extent as these.

A PM2 in S30V will serve you well. Also, if you don't mind smooth G10, the Knife Center Cruwear PM2 is still available. I love mine, but then again, I love my blurple S110V, and loved my plain S30V before giving it away too! A PM2 is always a solid do-it-all option.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:47 pm
I like both models a lot and have a handful of each.

The Para2 is the better working knife. Better ergonomics, longer blade and I prefer the blade shape.

The Sage is a better EDC and gents knife. Deeper carry, smaller size, classier looking and more innocuous. It can do almost everything you would need a knife to do and it would look good doing it. If you work in an office it is probably a better fit.

I have beat the snot out of S30V and have no complaints.
I was going to post but I think Darby summed it up pretty well. I prefer carrying and using the pm2.
Nate

Post by Nate »

PM2, still one of my top Spydies after many years and many, many other models. No issues with s30v here and I have a lot of it.
:spyder:
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

I have to agree with the masses here. Sage 5 is a nice knife, it was actually my first Spyderco...which instantly made me a fan and I then started dabbling into other models. I rarely carry it these days and am actually thinking of selling it, though it has a bit of sentimental value to me. I currently have 2 different PM2's that are frequently used in my rotation. Ergos on both are very good, but something about the PM2 is just better. Not to mention it's a better looking knife/blade shape..imo
Donut

Post by Donut »

Sage 5 is one of the best knives I own.

I never really fell in love with the Para 2.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
cptdean

Post by cptdean »

OP here. Thanks for helping me decide to buy the PM2 first. I know absolutely nothing about the various steels yet, but I've been pretty pleased with my bog standard VG10 Dragonfly so far, so I figure anything else would be fine too.
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes by itself.

Dragonfly 2
, Para Military 2, Native 5 Lightweight, Chaparral Lightweight, Para 3
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I voted PM2 as well and I agree with the others, you should spring for an exclusive or something, they’re supercharged Paramilitaries lol.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara