Why no offical ETAs or coming soon lists?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Why no offical ETAs or coming soon lists?

Post by steelcity16 »

Is there a reason that there isnt an official Spyderco staff updated list of coming soon knives with ETA's? Is it to minimize disappointed spydieholics when a knife gets delayed or cancelled? Is it to keep secrets from competitors? Is it to torture us spyderholics?? ;) It would be awesome to see a list of everything in the queue, even if it is years out. I have so many questions that this could answer.

Is there a Cruwear Native LW in the works like Sal has hinted at considering in other threads??

Where the heck is that LC200N Native??

Is the Cruwear Micarta Shaman greenlit and when will we see that?

When are the Rex45 sprints dropping?

Caly Jr Superblue eta?

Is there really a Maxamet Millie coming and when???

Is there really a Chief coming and when??

Will we ever see 3V or 4V in a Golden made folder?

Any other Golden made Salts.in the works?

Will we ever see a blacked out DF2 Salt??

Inquiring nuts want to know!! :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
tvenuto

Re: Why no offical ETAs or coming soon lists?

Post by tvenuto »

IWHWIH

It will happen when it happens. Would you rather they guess and then explain delays? I look at it like we get an insight into their processes, and maybe sometimes even some input. I’d rather have them working on getting new designs out than having to worry about forecasting to us.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

tvenuto wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:53 pm
IWHWIH

It will happen when it happens. Would you rather they guess and then explain delays? I look at it like we get an insight into their processes, and maybe sometimes even some input. I’d rather have them working on getting new designs out than having to worry about forecasting to us.
Yes.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Spydermane

Post by Spydermane »

I check my email very often whenever I have something on reserve lol
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Honestly, I'd rather they appear when they're done. Better to not make a promise you can't be sure you'll keep, than to continually disappoint. Massdrop, I'm looking at you.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

You got it right the first time. Once upon a time, long, long ago, Spyderco use to give out "rough" ETA's. It was amazing, but disheartening, how many folks considered those ESTIMATES to be nothing short of guarantees, and vented their disappointment on the Forums. Folks don't understand the number of different variables that can delay a knife. Spyderco finally decided it wasn't worth the drama giving ETA's created and stopped. Best you can hope for is a comment by Sal where he says a knife has passed QC and is ready to ship.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

Why put out catalogs with stuff you cannot buy? Now people want it and are disappointed they have to wait months. In my opinion don't market it unless you are very close to releasing a product. Otherwise just don't tell.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

One positive of announcing upcoming product is that you develop hype by releasing details early and getting discussions going. This occurs in a lot of industries. Look at how they announce phones, video games and systems, cars, etc well ahead of when they come out. People wait for months or years for something and then pounce on it the day it drops due to FOMO or Fear Of Missing Out. I get that there are people who will cause drama if a date is missed, but it sucks that a few bad apples ruins it for everyone. Like I said, many other companies and industries do it.
Last edited by steelcity16 on Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I don't think ETA is realistic usually but I do remember Sal giving us a list of like 12 knives that were coming and that was nice when he did that.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

koenigsegg wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:35 am
I don't think ETA is realistic usually but I do remember Sal giving us a list of like 12 knives that were coming and that was nice when he did that.

Yeah, even a list would be great. And any ETA whether a month, a quarter, or a year would be a bonus, but just a list would be amazing.
sal

Post by sal »

Rutger wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:21 am
Why put out catalogs with stuff you cannot buy? Now people want it and are disappointed they have to wait months. In my opinion don't market it unless you are very close to releasing a product. Otherwise just don't tell.
Hi Rutger,'

How would you prefer we do it?

sal
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Rutger wrote:
Have you ever noticed that most companies market products for months on end leading up to the product release? It's almost like they know something about marketing.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

zhyla wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:29 pm
Rutger wrote:
Have you ever noticed that most companies market products for months on end leading up to the product release? It's almost like they know something about marketing.

Exactly, look at car shows, CES, E3, and the million other trade shows all over the world. Its all about marketing upcoming exciting new products. Dates get missed, delays happen, people get over it. Its how the world works. I keep hearing about knives shown at Blade and other shows. Some people said they saw a Maxamet Millie and a Native Chief, but there is no official word on them aside from that. It would be nice to have it in an official
upcoming release webpage or thread rather than hear anecdotes from people who are lucky enough to attend. Not really complaining as this forum is amazing enough as it is. Just an observation (and wish).
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

If a knife passes all of the testing, quality control and manufacturing hurdles and is then in the production queue, I say OK. Otherwise, what’s the point?
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

You know, the anticipation is really part of the fun. I also like how previously unannounced knives pop up every now and then.
I'm not a patient person but I can't fault Spyderco for their marketing.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

If you don’t like knowing a model is in the pipeline I guess you could just ignore the forums and catalogs entirely, and just check your online retailer for new models periodically...
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Rutger wrote:
Why put out catalogs with stuff you cannot buy?
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

MichaelScott wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:39 pm
If a knife passes all of the testing, quality control and manufacturing hurdles and is then in the production queue, I say OK. Otherwise, what’s the point?
Well, for one thing, retailers don’t just order stuff when you tell them to.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

I imagine that once you put a deadline, there is not reassure to meet it. And that leads to pressure to cut corners and release stuff that is only good enough. I would rather they take their time and get it to us right.
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

MichaelScott wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:39 pm
Well, from a purely selfish point of view, seeing the "some time in the future" designs provides two opportunities for me:

1) If I see something that really strikes me, I can start saving up. I don't have a lot of free-funds to be throwing at $150+ pocket knives so I need to save for them if I want them.

2) It gives me a chance to really study if I really do want said knife. Case in point: The Kapara. What an awesome looking knife! I even started a thread about my drooling and dreaming. But there was that one little thing I was trying to overlook... The compression lock. I have a Sage 5 and the compression lock just doesn't thrill me. If you don't get a full press and sufficient blade drop it can sort of re-lock partially open. It isn't super intuitive and just isn't my preferred lock. I know I'm in the minority on that but that is me. Sooooo... I find I often reject things initially because they are different from what I'm used to. Perhaps I'd done that with the Sage 5? So, now that I've saved up enough for the Kapara, I got the Sage sharpened up nicely and am carrying it for a while to re-test my views on the lock. No matter how awesome that Kapara looks like it is going to be, if I can't get passed my dislike for the lock, then it isn't worth throwing $190 at it.

Besides, I love seeing the new stuff that is coming along.