Super Gold Delayed

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tvenuto

Super Gold Delayed

Post by tvenuto »

Just got this from massdrop:
We have an update on the Massdrop x Spyderco Delica and Endura Super Gold Steel. We received notice from Spyderco that the lead time on the super gold steel was longer than originally expected. We’re working with Spyderco to come up with a new estimated ship date, though we don't feel confident on sharing a precise date at this time. Based on this steel delay, it’s possible that the drop may be delayed up to 4 months which puts our new estimated ship date in February, 2018. [sic they mean 2019]

We apologize for this delay, and we know it is extremely disappointing for everyone involved. We’ve added a $10 credit to your account, which will be automatically applied to the next drop you join. If you don’t want to wait the additional time you can cancel your order via the transactions page: https://www.massdrop.com/transactions

Spyderco has also written a letter to shed some more light on the situation. We’ve posted the letter in the discussion.

Again, we apologize for this delay and we’ll provide an update in September with the latest information.
swigert

Re: Super Gold Delayed

Post by swigert »

any one want to copy and paste the letter in here?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

First I’ll say that I’m not mad at Spyderco or anything, these are the consequences of pushing the envelope. Just disappointed this one is going to be so far off...

Edit: letter below
Last edited by tvenuto on Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I went ahead and cancelled my 2 delicas. Im no longer interested in the laminated steels. Nothing wrong with them in my experience, but for some reason I just dont like the way they look. I think im borderline OCD. :confused:

My payment was refunded immediately. Plowed that into a 52100 Millie on ebay with the 15% coupon. lol. priorities! :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
illacky

Post by illacky »

Got the email as well and honesty I’m cool with it.

I thought the original eta was early to begin with. I doubt they will get many cancellations. That being said a $10 credit is a nice gesture.
-Ivan
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

Now, how do I get in on someone's cancellation since I missed this originally?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Good question, did they have a waitlist or a “notify me when in stock” option?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I just checked my email and read the notice from Massdrop. I have no problem with the delay. There are so many new knives on the horizon that I don't mind waiting a little longer for this one.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Slumblor wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:43 pm
Now, how do I get in on someone's cancellation since I missed this originally?
I am wondering this aswell. I want to try Super Gold, but missed the boat on the Delica and already have 2 Enduras that will be moving on.

I wish they would use it on something else.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
attila

Post by attila »

I'm so torn on this one... :confused:

I wanted it, wanted to cancel it, and now that I can cancel it, I hesitate to do so.

What's wrong with me? I guess I'm bit of a knife nut... :rolleyes:
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Both times I’ve had spyderco/massdrop knives ordered their are issues-
Native had the wrong steel and a long delay on these- pretty disappointing really.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I was tempted by this one but went ahead and purchased a 210 Gyuto in R2 which is the same steel as SG2. My steel junkie itch has been scratched for this one, for now.

I can say that it sharpens up very nicely, at least on my knife.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Dang, I'm kinda kicking myself for cancelling my order the first go round. And then missing the window when they were available again.

Maybe they'll open up the drop a third time.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Jmotley

Post by Jmotley »

I’ve got an Endura ordered and honestly don’t mind the delay. I’ve barely got to use the Vtoku-2 yet, and with the Rex45 on the horizon...
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I said F it, canceled the order and got a ZDP 189 on the way instead-
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Aah well. Something nice to look forward to in those dog days of February, now. It’s not like I don’t have a knife already!
Foolish Mortal

Post by Foolish Mortal »

I can't miss what I don't have. Whenever these come around, I'll be happy. Until then, I've got other things to enjoy.

This is the inherent issue with Massdrop and other pre-order types of offerings: Unlike something that is produced and then offered for sale, one is purchasing something that doesn't exist yet. When it exists, we'll get it. Until then, we chose to have a certain amount of our fun money tied up for an undeterminable future. Since I don't buy knives as an investment, that money being tied up isn't an issue. Sometimes the price of admission for something unique and of a limited quantity is to put your money down and wait.

I do it with custom knives all of the time, so maybe I have a higher threshold for pain, in this regard, than some others.
sn0wman72

Post by sn0wman72 »

Not a problem for me to wait as I have other knives and other knives I would like to purchase. I thought the $10 credit was a very generous give on MassDrops part