Odd question about trade war with China

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SUPERSTAR

Odd question about trade war with China

Post by SUPERSTAR »

So...

Is this whole trade war tariff stuff with China going to affect availability or pricing with anything coming out of China or Taiwan?

Or will it not affect anything?
It came up in discussion so i was curious.

Thanks in advance.
JohnAPA

Re: Odd question about trade war with China

Post by JohnAPA »

Most of my favorite knives say "Golden Colorado" on the blade.
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

The tariffs only affect raw steel and aluminum. Most finished products are not affected directly. However, China may place tariffs on other materials coming from the US that may affect Spyderco at some level.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Superstar,

Welcome to our forum.

We don't know yet what effect, if any, the tariffs will have.

sal
SUPERSTAR

Post by SUPERSTAR »

sal wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:51 am
Hi Superstar,

Welcome to our forum.

We don't know yet what effect, if any, the tariffs will have.

sal
Thanks Sal
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

JohnAPA wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:58 am
Most of my favorite knives say "Golden Colorado" on the blade.
If the economy crashes again, it won’t matter where they are made at all.
Foolish Mortal

Post by Foolish Mortal »

If.
kwselke

Post by kwselke »

Think of it this way... tariffs have been placed on foreign steel and aluminum in an attempt to protect US domestic suppliers. That protection means domestic suppliers can charge more because their foreign competition is not price competitive. What's going to happen to the price of Crucible Industries CPM steels because Chinese re-bar is taxed? China is not going to sit still and be slapped without slapping back, so they will hit pork and soy beans. Then there is less demand for tractors because the price of pigs and beans is down, so you need less steel for tractors. Well then Carpenter goes we've got all this steel that we were starting to sell in China but we can get more for it in the US, but nobody in the US wants it because the price of tractors and jetliners is down...

Micromanaging a global economy will have uncertain consequences at best.

Wars are not good, whether they are trade wars or guns and bullet wars. Nobody knows how they will turn out no matter what they think they know.
Foolish Mortal

Post by Foolish Mortal »

Trade wars suck. It's too bad that China has had tremendous tariffs on many of our goods for over 30 years. We have always been at war with them, only, they were the ones doing all the shooting.

In addition, many may not know that we have a serious issue with trademark, patent, and intellectual property infringement with China. As someone who has worked directly with Chinese industry, I can also say that they demand technology exchanges with foreign companies in order to open their market to those companies. You want to sell high-tech TVs in China? You have build a certain amount, if not all of them there. Any proprietary technologies used in the manufacturing of those goods are immediately taken and used by other Chinese industries- often in direct competition. If a foreign company complains... tough. Leave. The Chinese will take the technology and produce almost the exact same product, only without that pesky foreign company making a profit. People are blind if they cannot see this. EVERYTHING is cloned.

I don't know what Sal and company have to deal with, or maybe it makes sense for him to NOT chime in, but I can assure you, there's been a war for quite some time, but politicians being who they are, take the path of least resistance, or cynically look the other way, until now.

I'm NOT a fan of the current administration, but I wasn't a fan of the last one either, and I was not a fan of the alternative to Trump offered by the DNC. I am, as Dan Carlin likes to say, a "Political Martian", and no current political party suits me, so please don't presume that I'm a partisan.

Trump is doing a good thing by pushing back. Protectionism has been around as long as countries have existed, and almost every country protects one thing or another. The United States is only now pushing back against the one-sidedness of the trade situation with China. Believe it or not, China is in a very precarious situation. Many economists think that there's a bubble that could burst, if only someone pokes it. This makes our bargaining power far greater, and puts us in a very strong position.

I will admit, other trade policies by this administration, especially those with Canada, are probably more of a political tactic more than anything else, but as for China, he is spot on. Trump has a big ego, and doesn't like the constant harping coming from foreigners who are kindred spirits of his opposition. That may have something to do with him poking Canada, etc. with a stick. Not good policy, but it is what it is.

I'm getting a little tired of partisan politics, where good ideas are rejected simply because the other side would benefit politically from them, and thus, the partisans are whipped into an illogical emotional frenzy.

It reminds me of the fall of the Roman Republic, where Senators knew that changes needed to be made to address the income gap, lack of jobs, the consolidation of land holdings into the hands of the elite, etc., but neither side would allow anything good to happen, if the other side could take credit. So nothing got done. You know where that led... If not, I'll remind you of a man named Julius Caesar. His overreach with the support of the plebes reminds me of the overreach of the current Chief Executive, as well as the previous one, legislating by degrees, with the erosion of the Senate's power. The more things change, the more they remain the same.

Sorry for being long-winded.
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx for the input Mortal. I'm politically independent and I'm not thrilled with our government and haven't been for quite awhile. (Though I am a political junky). We do have a large problem with IP & China and we've been dealing with it for some time. We have 3 attorneys in China that are constantly raiding factories.

I try to keep politics out of our forum.

sal
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

sal wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:17 pm
I try to keep politics out of our forum.

sal
Thank goodness! It’s hard to get a break from politics lately.