Your favorite Spyderco for fidgeting?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Woodpuppy

Re: Your favorite Spyderco for fidgeting?

Post by Woodpuppy »

C30SBK Remote Release is a fun fidgeter, just don’t get sloppy with that spyder edge!
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

This may sound odd, but, the Byrd. I love my Endura and Pacific Salt and others but for some reason, opening and closing and fidget-handling my Byrd Cara Cara is very good. I like the variation of the Opening Hole on it and how the light catches the serrations just right.

After reading and seeing some threads on here where people have been cut with those H1 serrations, I don't do that with the Pacific Salt anymore. That Salt will bite you but the Byrd can bite, too, but the Byrd doesn't get its feathers ruffled as much as the saltines of the Salt :)
A.S.

Post by A.S. »

Techno. It is so addictive once you pick it up.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I’ve grown out of my fidgeting stage. I leave them in my pocket now until I need them. Or they stay in my spydie pack. I don’t remember the last time I’ve fidgeted with one on the couch, the wife probably thanks me immensely.
Josh
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

murphjd25 wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:25 pm
I’ve grown out of my fidgeting stage. I leave them in my pocket now until I need them. Or they stay in my spydie pack. I don’t remember the last time I’ve fidgeted with one on the couch, the wife probably thanks me immensely.
I'm going to go take a page out of your play book. I'm liable to cut myself one day.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Pelagic wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:24 pm
murphjd25 wrote:
I'm going to go take a page out of your play book. I'm liable to cut myself one day.
That’s what made me stop, cut myself one too many times by being dumb haha
Josh
npad69

Post by npad69 »

PM2 for the action
Resilience for the satisfying loud thwack it makes which i just can't get enough of
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

murphjd25 wrote:
Yea, I don't fidget. I mostly carry backlocks, which are probably the worst for this sort of thing.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Among other things, I regard my Spydies as sculptures with moving parts.

While sitting, I will put them in motion to feel their action and hear their clicks, but only from time to time, like when I’m reading the Forum.

More often, they’re in my hand just so I can explore their shapes and textures while wool-gathering. I might have four or five within reach to alternate the sensations.

I think it’s a Zen thing.

Either that, or I have a nervous tic.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:38 pm
Among other things, I regard my Spydies as sculptures with moving parts.

While sitting, I will put them in motion to feel their action and hear their clicks, but only from time to time, like when I’m reading the Forum.

More often, they’re in my hand just so I can explore their shapes and textures while wool-gathering. I might have four or five within reach to alternate the sensations.

I think it’s a Zen thing.

Either that, or I have a nervous tic.
Same. Not all of us are cutting apart pallets or carving up feathersticks everyday. I'm a true knife nut, and don't see my knives as JUST tools. I also don't view opening and closing a knife repeatedly (not excessively forceful) as abuse. It is within the normal operation of the knife, who knows how many times they open or closed their knife during the day? If a knife doesn't survive simply opening and closing without developing major play, then it is an inferior design.

Every once in a while, I will have a blade that migrates and will not recenter (looking at you ZT), but 95% of the knives I own have zero issues with repeated opening and closing.
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
cptdean

Post by cptdean »

Because I don’t have much choice at the moment, I’ve been playing a LOT with the Dragonfly 2 (when my wife is out of the room). The lockback isn’t bad, but I’m starting to crave a Sage 5 for flicking and drop closing. I’ll be ordering it in a few weeks, along with a Delica 4 and PM2.
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes by itself.

Dragonfly 2
, Para Military 2, Native 5 Lightweight, Chaparral Lightweight, Para 3
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:12 pm
This may sound odd, but, the Byrd. I love my Endura and Pacific Salt and others but for some reason, opening and closing and fidget-handling my Byrd Cara Cara is very good. I like the variation of the Opening Hole on it and how the light catches the serrations just right.

After reading and seeing some threads on here where people have been cut with those H1 serrations, I don't do that with the Pacific Salt anymore. That Salt will bite you but the Byrd can bite, too, but the Byrd doesn't get its feathers ruffled as much as the saltines of the Salt :)

Byrds bite too!! :p
► Show Spoiler
but I'll give you that Salts are waay more blood thirsty ;)
renegador

Post by renegador »

Blurple PM2 for fidgeting with the action.

Cruwear PM2 hasn't worn in as nicely so doesn't get played with as much. I'm sure that will change whenever I get around to breaking it down to clean it out.

Love that compression lock action while mentally working through coding problems.
Echo63

Post by Echo63 »

PM2 or Endura/Rescue/Salts built on the same frame.
The PM2 is great to flick open - but the backlocks I tend to open and close and tumble in my hands, open with thumb, depress lock bar and flick onto finger then close, change to reverse grip, open with little finger, switch to normal edge in grip, depress lock bar with middle finger and push blade with forefinger, stop with thumb then close, pinch spydie hole and reverse spyderdrop and on and on....
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

I'd have to say any of my knives with a compression lock, but maybe surprisingly...my Gayle Bradley 2 is fun to fidget. The action is super smooth, middle finger flick and the sound of the lockup extremely strong. Just has a different "thwap" of a sound...even my wife notices the difference! I try not to fidget too much with it though, being a liner lock there's always the danger of leaving a finger in the blade path when closing...and I keep that CPM-M4 nice and sharp :)

I must be a bit of a fidgeter though. I have a couple display stands in my workout room with my knives sitting open on them and sometimes when taking a break between sets, I'll flick a few of them around. My 6 year old daughter came in a few weeks ago, hearing me flicking a PM2 around and says "Daddy, I'm going to start calling you Spydie Flicky Ricky" Hahahah, that got me good. Maybe I'm more of a fidgeter than I initially thought!
Last edited by RickC27 on Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
talesk

Post by talesk »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:25 pm
Evil D wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:48 pm
Sliverax. Multiple opening methods, perfect pivot action.
Sliverax gets my vote too!
Err what they said; Sliverax!

Smooth with every opening style and a satisfying lockup.
Haves: Hungarian x5, Firefly x2, Orange Dragonfly 2, Orange Delica 4, Blue Delica 4, Orange Endura 4, Sliverax, Blurple Manix 2 s110v, Burnt Orange Meerkat hap40/sus410, spy dk orange, Pingo orange, Military Fluted Titanium, Lil sub-hilt, para 3 Rex45, friction folder, cricket, techno v1 xhp, spydiechef, slysz bowie, paysan, nirvana, subvert, ikuchi, smock, shaman (4v), shaman (cruwear), drunken, Caribbean (pe sheep)
Wants: parata, kapara
In the mail:
sn0wman72

Post by sn0wman72 »

Sage 5 is my fidget knife
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
cptdean

Post by cptdean »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:32 pm
Ha! That's awesome! I almost sprayed coffee out my nose, though.
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes by itself.

Dragonfly 2
, Para Military 2, Native 5 Lightweight, Chaparral Lightweight, Para 3
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:48 pm
Sliverax. Multiple opening methods, perfect pivot action.
Ditto!