My first Spyderco!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cptdean

My first Spyderco!

Post by cptdean »

Here it is, folks...my very first Spyderco! Dragonfly with VG10 in Zome (corrected spelling) green. I know this particular model is old hat for most on this board, but it seems to also be fairly well respected and I'm happy to join the club. Thanks a bunch to all of you, especially Sal for staying so connected to customers, and Nick Shabazz for filling all of my spare minutes with his informative videos. Now comes the hard part...trying to choose my second Spyderco!
Dragonfly VG10 Home Green
Dragonfly VG10 Home Green
Last edited by cptdean on Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes by itself.

Dragonfly 2
, Para Military 2, Native 5 Lightweight, Chaparral Lightweight, Para 3
justjohn

Re: My first Spyderco!

Post by justjohn »

Nice choice cptdean! I'm sure the knife will serve you well. Spyderco is a first class company that produces first class products. Lots of luck choosing your second (and 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc.....) Spyderco.
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Terrific "gateway knife."
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

cptdean wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:09 pm
Here it is, folks...my very first Spyderco! Dragonfly with VG10 in Rome green. I know this particular model is old hat for most on this board, but it seems to also be fairly well respected and I'm happy to join the club. Thanks a bunch to all of you, especially Sal for staying so connected to customers, and Nick Shabazz for filling all of my spare minutes with his informative videos. Now comes the hard part...trying to choose my second Spyderco!

IMG_1086.jpg
Very cool! I have the G10 Dragonfly and love it. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
cptdean

Post by cptdean »

Thanks, all! I told my wife I’m trying to decide on my next four Spydercos and she just rolled her eyes at me. She puts up with a lot!

Oh, and of course I meant “Zome”...blaming that one on auto-correct.

Dragonfly 2
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

You made a good choice on a sweet little blade! Next you should get a Para Military 2, so you’ll have a “full size” instrument.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
cptdean

Post by cptdean »

Let’s see...I want a PM 2, Para 3, Stretch, Pacific Salt, Delica 4, and Lil Native...so far. I’ve only been at this for a week.

Dragonfly 2
ucfgrad93

Post by ucfgrad93 »

Looking good, cptdean. Enjoy!
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Welcome cptdean! Enjoy it!

Now place your bets! When does ctpdean order his next one?
I’m going for next Tuesday!
cptdean

Post by cptdean »

SF Native wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:13 pm
Welcome cptdean! Enjoy it!

Now place your bets! When does ctpdean order his next one?
I’m going for next Tuesday!
Haha, you might not be far off! If I hadn’t ordered a Case RussLock for my dad last night, I might already have another on the way. But my biggest obstacle at the moment is just choosing.

Dragonfly 2
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Welcome, cptdean. Glad to have you among the enablers, lol. I too have a Zome Dragonfly. I consider the Dragonfly to be one of Spyderco’s most useful and significant knife designs. I would never be without one. Even though I’m kind of odd (but not all that odd here) and sometimes carry three different Spydercos just because I like to have them around, the Dragonfly is always along somewhere too.

Let us know what you decide on for number two.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
cptdean

Post by cptdean »

MichaelScott wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:29 pm
Let us know what you decide on for number two.
The two tugging at me the hardest are the Para 3 (could very well be the perfect knife for me) and the Delica 4 (because I know I’m going to get one anyway, might as well be now). Which varieties of each, I have no idea yet. I may get them both at once then start lining up my Xmas wish list.

Dragonfly 2
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

congrats! the dragonfly is a great edc knife.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Love the Zome handle-
Should pick up one in ZDP-189 and blade swap
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

My experience has been that the D'Fly, is a little power house.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Welcome to the family! :D
And now we wait until the virus spreads and you start posting about your second Spydie... fourth Spydie... Sixteenth Spydie and so on :p
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
dodgie02

Post by dodgie02 »

Might as well buy a case for your knives right away.

Started off with a delica 4, in orange. Didn't take long before I bought a S110V pm2 then, a manix 2 S110V G10 and the lightweight after that. Then things went quickly. Native 5, 2 x caly 3 HAP40 sprint, para 3 cruwear, 2 x pm2 sprints in cruwear and another sprint in m390 and a regular blacked out one, pakkawood Endura and delica 4, a sage 5 - and I'm definitely forgetting some here haha. Aside from that all 3 940 editions, a bm fact, bugout and one other I can't recall. Didn't have a flipper yet so a 0450 was bought.

Next on the list is a millie or a centofante 3. But it's not an addiction, it's a hobbie. Can't find a better excuse then that yet.

Also you'll be wanting to pick up a sharpmaker soon as well. It's worth investing in sharpening tools instead of adding a neat knife that you must own but don't really need. Great choice on the dragonfly. Those and the delica are great knives especially for the price!
MichaelScott wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:29 pm
Even though I’m kind of odd (but not all that odd here) and sometimes carry three different Spydercos just because
You might not be as odd as you might think. I carry 2 at all times, usually a sage 5 for the small and friendly look of it, something bigger like a pm2 for more serious stuff and one of my caly 3s or a delica. Different tasks different blades. People don't take too kindly when whip out a pm2 of mass destruction to cut open the annoying wrapping on box of smokes for some reason in public so a small blade is always in my pocket for the small things.
Last edited by dodgie02 on Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guywithopinion

Post by guywithopinion »

The Dragonfly was also my first Spyderco. I wonder what knife is the most common gateway to a drawer full of spydies?
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

guywithopinion wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:47 pm
The Dragonfly was also my first Spyderco. I wonder what knife is the most common gateway to a drawer full of spydies?

Same here. The serrated Salt version.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
cptdean

Post by cptdean »

Quick update for anyone else on a similar path. It’s looking like my next purchase will be the following three knives, all at the same time: Delica 4 (because duh), Sage 5 (I like what I’ve seen more than the Para 3), and PM 2 (because I can’t imagine not owning one). After those, I plan to scratch my Endura itch with a Pacific Salt Black, and I’ll spend more time looking into the Manix 2 and the updated Stretch that Sal was teasing in another thread. All of that should keep me busy for the next few months.

Dragonfly 2