How can you like FRN but hate FRCP?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Re: How can you like FRN but hate FRCP?

Post by Sharp Guy »

Jazz wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:45 pm
I hardly use my 110V Manix because it’s slippery. It’s not my imagination. It’s slippery.
If you think the M2 LW is slippery you'd absolutely hate the Caly 3 & 3.5 with smooth CF.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I'm one that has voiced my dislike for FRCP. It just has a different feel of it in my hand compared to FRN. Maybe it's just due to me being use to FRN from years of knives in that material. If that is it, then time will lessen the dislike. The biggest difference in comparing my Delica to my Manix LW is the contouring of the handle scales. The Delica is more rounded along the edges. Additionally the Delica has sunken grooves along the top for jimping as compared to the raised ridges of the Manix LW. Basically softer edges compared to sharper.
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

From my handlings Japanese produced FRN is grippier and yet feels "smoother" in its' texture; retaining a subtle texturing to the non-bi-directional areas, while the FRCP has almost no texture on its "blank" areas (that is, parts of the handle which there are no intended texture). I've only handled FRCP within the LW Manix format and found it to feel similar to a Lego or Mega Blok in texture. Harder and much more "plastic" feeling. Almost like it is in opposition to your hand. This could be attributed to the squarish nature of the Manix as well vs the contouring of Japanese FRN handled knives. I've also found the JP FRN to have much better grip when my hands were perspiring vs the FRCP, which as Jazz points out, feels slick.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Halfneck wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:40 pm
I'm one that has voiced my dislike for FRCP. It just has a different feel of it in my hand compared to FRN. Maybe it's just due to me being use to FRN from years of knives in that material. If that is it, then time will lessen the dislike. The biggest difference in comparing my Delica to my Manix LW is the contouring of the handle scales. The Delica is more rounded along the edges. Additionally the Delica has sunken grooves along the top for jimping as compared to the raised ridges of the Manix LW. Basically softer edges compared to sharper.

Contoured, rounded scales like on the Endura / Delica are a result of the shape of the mold, not the material filling the mold.
:unicorn
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:14 pm
Contoured, rounded scales like on the Endura / Delica are a result of the shape of the mold, not the material filling the mold.
Yes I understand that. Basically I was trying to say that my dislike for FRCP is lessening as I use it more, but I still dislike the sharper edges of the Manix LW vs. my Delica. If the Manix LW was similar to my Delica in that regard it might lessen my dislike for it even more.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Jazz wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:35 pm
FRN has less letters to remember. ;)
OK, I am sold. :rolleyes:

As for FRCP, it might be great stuff, but it looks like a baby rattle or some other childs toy. Hard to take seriously -- I know, I should get over that. Maybe.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

500Nitro wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:48 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:56 pm
I have used FRCP and FRN when wet. The FRCP is a bit slicker, but do not see this as my saying it is slippery. That bi-directional texturing is amazing. I have seen some broken FRN knives on the net but only one FRCP, and that one was suspicious. I take Sal at his word on the toughness/strength of FRCP.
Broken in what way ?

Broken clips or broken handles ?
It was broken handles, but the knives were being purposely abused in the extreme. People were trying to break them and it was not easy. The only FRCP I saw the guy said it just broke around the pivot, but I did not believe it, nor did anyone else. The knife looked as though he had purposely tried to destroy it. However, all of this just lent credence to the material being extremely strong. I know bone, wood, aluminum (I broke one of these) and other materials will not take such abuse.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:20 am
It was broken handles, but the knives were being purposely abused in the extreme. People were trying to break them and it was not easy.
Doesn't count if they were trying to break them on purpose.

Everything is breakable, we are talking normal wear and tear here, not extreme abuse with intent.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:33 pm
As for FRCP, it might be great stuff, but it looks like a baby rattle or some other childs toy. Hard to take seriously -- I know, I should get over that. Maybe.
My sentiments exactly! ;)

It may well be strong and durable and feel great but I reckon it has the class and style of a 0.10c disposable Chinese cigarette lighter. :eek:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
CaptainT

Post by CaptainT »

The real question according to me. ;)
Image[/URL]
vivi

Post by vivi »

CaptainT wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:58 am
Image[/URL]
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... t%20weenie
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

500Nitro wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:39 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:20 am
It was broken handles, but the knives were being purposely abused in the extreme. People were trying to break them and it was not easy.
Doesn't count if they were trying to break them on purpose.

Everything is breakable, we are talking normal wear and tear here, not extreme abuse with intent.
Exactly so.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
mb1

Post by mb1 »

You guys covered it already. The only thing I could add is the texturing on the FCRP/Manix LW snags my shorts pockets. Sounds silly, but it's enough that it makes me think about it when pulling the knife out. It's at least slightly annoying.

FRCP is just a turnoff for me on the whole experience. There would have to be one heckuva a package offered for me to consider buying another one. The only other handle scale I might dislike more is the glass smooth/no texture carbon fiber. It makes my brain think I'm holding plastic.

And just so I don't come off as a whiny complainer...I really dig the other 967 models available! :p :cool: :spyder:
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

FRCP seems stronger, but more brittle, from my experience
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

How many people, here, have broken FRCP or FRN?

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I think the hint of ductility in FRN is what has drawn me to it over FRCP.

But given Sal’s thoughts, quoted above, I’m glad to see FRCP is not the third-rate material I thought it might be.

Oh, me, of little faith.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

CaptainT wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:58 am
See the preceding posts, but to reiterate:

I don't really "like" FRN. I accept it with misgivings. I have one FRN knife (the Native LW with Maxamet), and I like it alright.
I have a myriad of knives in G10, None with FRCP. I like the FRN more than I thought I would, but I am still a G10 man.
(I like Micarta at least as much, maybe more, but that is another discussion).

The FRCP is just a visual turn off. Like I have said, it looks like a child's toy -- or like a sugar candy you might suck on and make your teeth rot. I plan to take great care, read the fine print, and avoid it. Actually that probably isn't necessary, the FRCP knives I strongly dislike scream, "look elsewhere" so loud I don't need to do any squinting.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

The differences appear to be a matter of personal taste and ergonomics not so about the strength or brittleness properties. I prefer FRN only because the ergonomics of the FRCP knives don’t appeal to me. If the UKPK, for example, were in a translucent FRCP I’d like it fine.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Golden made frn and frcp are definitely harder than the Japanese frn. Tap both on a marble counter and listen to the difference. You can also bite the material and tell the difference. This almost certainly means that the Japanese frn is harder to break through bending or impact. I haven’t been interested enough in the data to destroy any knives but I bet if you gave me a hammer and a concrete floor I could break a Golden frn handle easier than a Japanese one. I also believe it would be no easy feat to destroy either one of them. Personally I prefer the Japanese frn but I am happy enough with either.

Aside from the difference in material properties, I agree with many others in that the more rounded corners of the Japanese frn knives make them feel better in hand.
vivi

Post by vivi »

MichaelScott wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:27 pm
The differences appear to be a matter of personal taste and ergonomics not so about the strength or brittleness properties. I prefer FRN only because the ergonomics of the FRCP knives don’t appeal to me. If the UKPK, for example, were in a translucent FRCP I’d like it fine.
Yeah, seems a lot of folks are confusing the shape of a mold for handle scales with properties of FRCP itself, which gives it the bad reputation it seems to carry. IMO that's like deciding to hate micarta because the Phoenix used a polished micarta scale and you prefer grippy scales.

I'd wager good money that if FRCP were colored black, given a mild texture on the "smooth" spots, and contoured edges like an Endura 3, people wouldn't be able to tell they're supposed to hate it.