The one knife for 365 days challenge

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

The one knife for 365 days challenge

Post by vivi »

The thread about wishing you only had one knife got me thinking which knife I'd carry from today to my grave.

Here's my choice:

SE Pacific Salt with a black blade.

I've sung the Pacific Salt's praises for years. The main attractions for me are the rust proof construction, and the fact it's the lightest current offering from Spyderco that I consider "full sized." I could go PE or SE, but I find myself enjoying how easy my SE version is to maintain, and how easily it slices into any material.

Who else is up for the one knife for a full year challenge? I'm going to pocket my SE Pacific Salt every day for the next year. Which knife will you pick?
:unicorn
jpm2

Re: The one knife for 365 days challenge

Post by jpm2 »

Mine will be the native BHQ cpm-m4 blade swapped into a lightweight trimmed down handle.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:31 pm
The thread about wishing you only had one knife got me thinking which knife I'd carry from today to my grave.

Here's my choice:

SE Pacific Salt with a black blade.

I've sung the Pacific Salt's praises for years. The main attractions for me are the rust proof construction, and the fact it's the lightest current offering from Spyderco that I consider "full sized." I could go PE or SE, but I find myself enjoying how easy my SE version is to maintain, and how easily it slices into any material.

Who else is up for the one knife for a full year challenge? I'm going to pocket my SE Pacific Salt every day for the next year. Which knife will you pick?
Not going to do it but that exact knife would be my choice as well! Maybe if they finally release the Cruwear Native LW that Sal has mentioned, then I would think about a one week challenge. :P
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

SE Pacific Salt with a black blade would be my choice as well.

I've carried/used an Endura 1 and this is just going a step up (when I get it)
because of the no rust situation which means I can use it for fish as well.

I think the only thing it would have a problem with is Skinning a Buffalo and
maybe de jointing a few of the meat cuts.

Everything else I use a knife for it will do/handle.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

I would go with the lil temperance 3.
Could do it, no problem.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

the pacific salt is a great option, but i can’t carry a knife that long at work. my typical carry is a manix 2 lw and pacific salt se outside of work and a esee zancudo and dragonfly salt se at work. i like carrying two blades. not sure why.

when the new native salt comes out, it could possibly take the place of both combos and be an actual edc. i think i’d probably miss the extra length of the manix and pacific though.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I carried the same Benchmade once for 10 years straight. I also carried the same Para2 once for well over a year straight. I could get by just fine with only one knife.

If I had to choose one of my knives to carry exclusively it would probably be my Cruwear Military. I would obviously still have some fixed blades that get carried when hunting, fishing, camping or backpacking.

That said, I have too many knives to not rotate them so I am not gonna participate in this challenge. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Would be a toss up between the cru wear pm2 and com sebenza with insingio blade and micarta inserts. Those get carried 5/7 days a week anyway. That being said, I just can't do the challenge. I've so many knives that need love and I'm in a transition period right now and my money is tied up so no new knives for a few months, but I know I'm getting at least one knife as a gift sooooon.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

I'm passing on the challenge. If I took the challenge, my Maxamet Para 3 would easily be the chosen one.
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd carry my Manix 2 LW Maxamet.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

There is that Pacific Salt again -- why do I all of a sudden keep hearing about that knife?

I have to pass on the challenge (though it ain't a bad idea). If I did go for it, it would be a PM2 (or maybe a manix), probably the recent Cruwear PM2, or maybe the 52100.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:40 pm
There is that Pacific Salt again -- why do I all of a sudden keep hearing about that knife
Because it works, blade length is long enough to do what longer fixed blades can do and can certainly handle shorter blade tasks.

And the serrations mean you never have a blunt knife.

Foldable means you can carry out rough / dangerous tasks without sticking yourself like you can with a fixed blade.

That's my HO anyway.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:40 pm
There is that Pacific Salt again -- why do I all of a sudden keep hearing about that knife?
There's at least 15 people on here that will jump at the oppurtunity to tell you to go buy one. It is an amazing knife. And it is at value pricing, imo. It's cheap enough that it is replaceable and it is just a sweet knife. No thrills. Just the best steel for serrations, 3.75" of serrations with some belly. Rust free. Slim profile. Weighs nothing. Clean it out maybe twice a year with water and a q-tip, a drop of oil where the lock contacts, and you're set. Great edc, great backup blade, great blade to give to a non-knife person when they ask to borrow one, probably a great rescue knife. I've read somewhere that certain people in the navy are issued them.

I bought mine at the recommendation of many here. I bought it becuase it was cheap enough that if I didn't like it I could just leave it in my car. Low and behold, it rarely leaves my pocket. I either carry it in my back pocket or swap the clip to carry it on my left side. It beat out my Vic trekker as my go-to serrated beater. The delica wharny couldn't beat it. Neither could the Tasman salt. The only one lately that challenges it is the Spyderhawk but even that isn't nearly as versatile and takes up too much pocket space. The only ways I could see it being improved would be if they made it bigger or made it with a titanium construction and native-style backlock. But either of those changes would be an essentially different knife.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I like variety too much. So I'm definitely not going to accept this challenge.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I won’t take up the challenge. :)

That said, I’m tipping I could carry and do everything I ever need in this life with a Plain Jane Digi Cam S30V Military. :cool:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

This will be my first post here, so let me say hello to you all! I am a long time lurker, and learned a whole lot in this forum. I really appreciate that. And also the very positive atmosphere and appreciative way of communictaion.
As I am from Austria / Europe, english is not my native language, so I hesitated for a long time to participate myself. But hey, I guess anybody will somehow get what I am trying to express and maybe there´ll be even some funny moments when I get something wrong... ;-)
OK, for the challenge: In my normal day to day life (sometimes in the outdoors for several days, but normally getting home in the evening and having the opportunity to maintain my blade) it would be the Endura in HAP 40 (not the Pakkawood, but the FRN burnt orange version). Why? For me personally EDC-carry means, you never know what you´ll encounter. So sometimes a long cutting edge is very usefull; For example only two days ago I through a farewell party at my work place. There were big loafs of bread, filled with stuff, to cut up. As usually in the "non knife world" there were only VERY dull kitchen knives around... so my always kept shaving sharp Endra came out of my pocket and had its Party too... ;-) HAP 40 in the laminated version has for me proven to me also very good in edge holding AND somewhat in toughness; It is not too hard to sharpen also in my experience.
In more of an "apocalypse" scenario" (not beeing able to maintan the blade using dedicated sharpening devices and so on) it would also be one of my Enduras, but the VG 10 Combo Edge Version: Easyer to sharpen on makeshift devices and the serrated part will cut or maybe better tear apart stuff even when somewhat dull.
/ Finally, let me ask a question concerning the Pacific Salt: Never owned one of these or any other in H1 steel. But isnt that a steel that looses its sharp edge quite fast?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
attila

Post by attila »

Back in April, I finished my one full year of carrying the S110V Manix LW. It wasn't the only knife I carried, but I carried that Manix every day. In the end I was adding too many new knives to my selection, so it became almost a chore to finish out the last few months.

The only reason it might not qualify for one-knife-forever status is that the steel is hard to sharpen with non-1st-world sharpening methods, and if I have to venture into the bush with just a folder, I don't want to need high performance abrasives to maintain my most important tool.

If I were to try the challenge again, I'd probably go for the Cruwear Para 3, smooth green G10 Native, my new Pacific Salt, or the P.I.T.S.. I won't do it again, though, because I like variety too much.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

This one :)

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:02 am
This one :)
The C-44 big Dyad :cool: Yeah I could probably do that one myself. Because I'm now so geared to carry/EDC a full plain edged blade ( M390 Military) and one full Spyderedged blade ( ATS-55 Stainless RESCUE) for so long that I just couldn't in any way constrict myself to only carrying one edge type. But the VG-10 C-44 Dyad might just be the ticket.

So this now brings about a new demand :cool: Yeah we now want a C-44 Dyad with supersteel blades ;) Yeah that would get me by till I meet the Good Lord. Yeah "SUMDUMGUY" you've hit that one out of the park with men on base :cool:
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

On that note I need to find a deep-ish carry clip for mine.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam