The one knife for 365 days challenge

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: The one knife for 365 days challenge

Post by vivi »

The Meat man wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:01 pm
It's funny. I completed this challenge 8 or 9 consecutive times before I came across Spyderco.

Now I'm not sure if I could do it. :)
I've done it with a Military five times over, and a few times with a Police 3 and Para 2. I've come close with my PE Pacific Salt, but a Millie or Manix always snuck in some days. The first 8 years I owned one my Pacific Salt was my beater / summer EDC, and I always carried something else during cooler months.
:unicorn
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:03 pm
The Meat man wrote:
It's funny. I completed this challenge 8 or 9 consecutive times before I came across Spyderco.

I've done it with a Military five times over, and a few times with a Police 3 and Para 2. I've come close with my PE Pacific Salt, but a Millie or Manix always snuck in some days. The first 8 years I owned one my Pacific Salt was my beater / summer EDC, and I always carried something else during cooler months.

Actually I know I could do it easily. It's just that with the variety now available to me it would be pretty hard to pick just one and refrain from using any of the others.

If push came to shove though, I'd probably end up going with my S110V Military.

As a matter of fact I'm already in the middle of my own one-knife challenge - to carry my Pacific Salt SE, exclusively, for at least a month, in order to give a full SE blade a fair trial.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
vivi

Post by vivi »

The Meat man wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:14 pm
Vivi wrote:
The Meat man wrote:

Actually I know I could do it easily. It's just that with the variety now available to me it would be pretty hard to pick just one and refrain from using any of the others.

As a matter of fact I'm already in the middle of my own one-knife challenge - to carry my Pacific Salt SE, exclusively, for at least a month, in order to give a full SE blade a fair trial.
What are your thoughts so far? I used to dislike SE so much I ground the serrations off an Endura 3. Once I did the same thing as you and forced myself to learn how to sharpen SE knives, I became a convert.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:38 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Vivi wrote:
The Meat man wrote:

What are your thoughts so far? I used to dislike SE so much I ground the serrations off an Endura 3. Once I did the same thing as you and forced myself to learn how to sharpen SE knives, I became a convert.

I'm learning that SE is not as specialized as I thought; in other words, that it can handle pretty much anything a plain edge could. Of course I know there are a few things that a SE can't do as well as a PE, but I've been carrying it for about a week so far, and I haven't come across anything that made me wish for a plain edge.

(For context, at work I'm usually cutting up cardboard and tough plastic strapping, zip ties, etc. At home, food prep, garden work, and the like.)

The snagging of the serrations when cutting bothered me at first, but since I'm becoming more proficient at sharpening SE, it's become less and less of an issue. I use the Sharpmaker at 40°, going from medium to ultra fine with a few de-burring strokes on the other side at 30°. After that it pops hair and can easily push cut/slice phone book paper.

I'm starting to appreciate the superior cutting power of a razor sharp serrated edge. There just isn't a whole lot that knife can't cut through in one slice. Yesterday I had a bundle of 6 plastic straps that I looped over and cut through in one stroke. That's over a quarter inch of hard plastic! :eek:

As far as cons, I can't really find any. It's a great knife with stellar performance so far. I still love my PE but forcing myself to become more familiar with SE has really opened my eyes to it's capabilities.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I think I will go in the opposite direction, here. Though I would be tempted to say that I would choose a Manix 2 LW (and I might), I think I would choose a Delica or a Chaparral. The reason is that knives are frowned upon, here, and most of my cutting chores have to do with things I can do best with one of those easily carried pocket sized knives (I might even consider an Urban LW seriously).
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
elena86

Post by elena86 »

For one year I would carry my beloved K390 Urban. For the rest of my life...the best allaround spydie aka Pac Salt SE.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

The Meat man wrote:

Same!!
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I carried a G2 ( Gin1) Endura for longer than one year when I started out on Spydercos. I used it and had it with me everywhere except the facility I worked my full time job or when flying.I carried it at my part time jobs where it was legal. I had a smaller and less expensive knife for that I wouldn't have minded all that much losing for flying though I never did lose it or have it taken.

Joe
vivi

Post by vivi »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:18 am
Vivi wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:38 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Vivi wrote:

I'm learning that SE is not as specialized as I thought; in other words, that it can handle pretty much anything a plain edge could. Of course I know there are a few things that a SE can't do as well as a PE, but I've been carrying it for about a week so far, and I haven't come across anything that made me wish for a plain edge.

(For context, at work I'm usually cutting up cardboard and tough plastic strapping, zip ties, etc. At home, food prep, garden work, and the like.)

The snagging of the serrations when cutting bothered me at first, but since I'm becoming more proficient at sharpening SE, it's become less and less of an issue. I use the Sharpmaker at 40°, going from medium to ultra fine with a few de-burring strokes on the other side at 30°. After that it pops hair and can easily push cut/slice phone book paper.

I'm starting to appreciate the superior cutting power of a razor sharp serrated edge. There just isn't a whole lot that knife can't cut through in one slice. Yesterday I had a bundle of 6 plastic straps that I looped over and cut through in one stroke. That's over a quarter inch of hard plastic! :eek:

As far as cons, I can't really find any. It's a great knife with stellar performance so far. I still love my PE but forcing myself to become more familiar with SE has really opened my eyes to it's capabilities.
Sounds like the same conclusion I came to. I was really surprised at the push cutting ability of a freshly sharpened SE blade in particular.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

elena86 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:53 am
For one year I would carry my beloved K390 Urban. For the rest of my life...the best allaround spydie aka Pac Salt SE.
The Pac Salt SE gets a lot of well desrved love here. As I stated in the beginning of this thread, that would be my choice as well if I was going to do this challenge. I've said it many times, but I would love to see H1 SE blades in the Golden folders as well. A Military with H1 SE would be amazing! As would a PM2, Manix, Native, etc ,etc. If they could do H1 in golden logistically, I would love to see all salt models coming out of golden have H1 in SE and LC200N in PE. And if of they could do LC200N in Japan it would be cool to see the Japan Salts with LC200N in PE.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Sounds like an interesting challenge, one which I would not be able to commit to.

Owning somewhere over 350-400 knives (plus kitchen knives and machetes) I'd be more likely to carry a *different* knife every day for a year :). In fact I can't remember the last time I carried *less* than 3 to 6 knives with me, other than jury duty/courthouse visits.

My first Spyderco was an Economy model, and I carried it for years, even on flights (pre-9/11 days) but always had a SAK of some sort with me as well. Even if I just limited it to different versions of the Military, I could still go 3 or 4 weeks without carrying the same one twice - yes, I have a knife problem. Out of all of my knives, the majority would not leave me under-equipped if that were my only knife, excepting of course trying to use the Bug to cut a watermelon, or opening mail in an office environment with my Tatanka without frightening someone.

Very little that I do would really need more than a Dragonfly salt, but I just have too many other nice knives to be able to leave them at home for a year.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

rodloos wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:46 pm

Very little that I do would really need more than a Dragonfly salt, but I just have too many other nice knives to be able to leave them at home for a year.

Yep, this was my first Spyderco. Such a great little knife and fully capable of most tasks required by me. I prefer a Native LW most days for a little bit bigger and beefier feel, but the DF2 is awesome, especially in salt form. I wish they would do a blacked out DF2 salt. That would be sweet.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Definitely couldn't do this challenge, but I can see why the SE pac salt is a strong contender.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:45 pm
elena86 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:53 am
The Pac Salt SE gets a lot of well desrved love here. As I stated in the beginning of this thread, that would be my choice as well if I was going to do this challenge. I've said it many times, but I would love to see H1 SE blades in the Golden folders as well. A Military with H1 SE would be amazing! As would a PM2, Manix, Native, etc ,etc. If they could do H1 in golden logistically, I would love to see all salt models coming out of golden have H1 in SE and LC200N in PE. And if of they could do LC200N in Japan it would be cool to see the Japan Salts with LC200N in PE.

Isn't the Autonomy 1 made in Golden? It's serrated H-1.
- Connor

Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I’ve done this with an ambitious however I doubt i could do it again as I’ve just got too many to pick from now
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I couldn’t do it. I could conceivably get down to a few knives but not one. I’m too fickle. I could drive one car for the rest of my life though.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
Termite Toothpick

Post by Termite Toothpick »

Day one; I lost! I have two on me right now…WC Delica and M4 Para3…

Years ago I have done this out of ignorance and bliss. This was before knew what I know now. But, now with the selection and choices I have, I don't think I would last! I like having the options, I like changing it up as I feel the need.
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Great thread Vivi!
My EDC is reliably comprised of two knives: a Vic Cadet (for screw driver, can opener, and prying and a Sheeple friendly blade) and and a large Enduraesque blade for effective cutting tasks/defense, etc.
In my mind the only single knife that could well replace these two mainstays is the C208GP Clipitool.
I don't, however, currently own one of these! Will have to fix that!
I am also intrigued by Vivi's Pac Salt SE- will have to get one of those too!. I have a PE Pac Salt and it is a favorite.
I won't be limiting myself tho a single choice for 365 days but will be doing some month long stints with various setups to garner better familiarity with some of my options.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've been having second thoughts about this "challenge."

If I weren't posting here, I'd carry the Pacific Salt every day because it's my favorite knife, and my EDC. So this isn't a challenge to me.

I think it would be more interesting if starting in August, I carried a different knife each month, but no others during that month. I'll have to buy one or two more Spydercos to make that possible, but I can live with that.

I figure at the end of each month I can do an in depth write up comparing that month's knife to my Pacific Salt...pros and cons...that sort of thing.

What do you think?
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:23 am
I've been having second thoughts about this "challenge."

If I weren't posting here, I'd carry the Pacific Salt every day because it's my favorite knife, and my EDC. So this isn't a challenge to me.

I think it would be more interesting if starting in August, I carried a different knife each month, but no others during that month. I'll have to buy one or two more Spydercos to make that possible, but I can live with that.

I figure at the end of each month I can do an in depth write up comparing that month's knife to my Pacific Salt...pros and cons...that sort of thing.

What do you think?
Sounds like a plan! I would be more likely to do this than only one for a year. I've become too nutty for the 365 challenge.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson