You may not like this...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Daveho

You may not like this...

Post by Daveho »

So I was recently asked here about a mod I’m anticipating to be a little unpopular but here it is.
Here’s my most used spyderco- the ambitious love this thing and it’s served me amazingly well, the envelope is my benchmade bits bag.
Only issue is that it carries a little high for a small knife.
Like many folk i have several benchmade deep carry clips around- only change needed is to drill the holes out to 3.5mm

A drop of blue thread locker on the original screws and issue resolved.

I appreciate that putting a Benchmade clip on your spyderco may be a bit iffy BUT it’s free and works great :)
Additionally ergonomically it feels quite good in my hand.
40mm

Re: You may not like this...

Post by 40mm »

BLAME IT ON ME DAVEHO!! I admit, I'm the one that was drooling over this little mod and ask for more info. The black clip just looks plain cool on the Ambitious. I heat anodized the clip on mine but a black anodized\parkerized benchmade clip looks even cooler. This isn't helping my quest to downsize my little knife collection. Thanks for posting this!
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

You are most welcome :)
It actually works really well and it’s got me looking at my native and Para 3..
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Good conversation piece as well if you happen to run into another knife guy.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

Blasphemy!!!

But really, unless you run into another knife nut it shouldn't be an issue. That's one thing that BM has on Spyderco...call or send an email and get a free deep carry clip FOR FREE instead of having to spend $18-$30 for one when every knife should come with one anyways.

Does bother me to spend $160 on a knife and then drop another $20 just for it to carry better. Let's face it, nobody wants to carry a knife sticking 1/2" to an 1" out of their pocket. (Talking about you Para 3) I've dropped $85 on 4 clips for my knives...thats basically a dragonfly zdp 189 right there...which i currently don't own yet because l want the Spyderco's I currently have to carry better.
vivi

Post by vivi »

RickC27 wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:28 pm
Let's face it, nobody wants to carry a knife sticking 1/2" to an 1" out of their pocket.
I do. I'd take the stock clip over the BM one. Only issue I have with Spyderco clips are tip down only models like the Millie. My EDC, a Pacific Salt, has about 1/2 - 3/4" sticking out and I find that perfect. Too much sticking out and it can get in the way or fall out, but deep carry clips like OP's make the knife a bit tougher for me to retrieve, especially IWB.

Glad he's happy with his mod though. It certainly looks nice. I wish every Spyderco had black clips, they look a lot better IMO.
:unicorn
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Haha it's kind of painful but it is a nice mod. Its kinda funny though. I found myself awhile back wishing my benchmade 940 had a spyderco wire clip. I'll take spyderco's clips over almost all others any day but I do understand the desire for a deep carry. I just started an office job at a university and I've found myself really going for the discreet. Not that knives are prohibited and I've seen many a knife in faculty members' pockets (this is Oklahoma), but it is still best to carry discreetly. The sage and spydiechef carry quite well in slacks with their wire clips. However, my Sebenza also blends right in despite not having a deep carry clip.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

Really? I find it very easy to grab at the bottom of a deep carry, slightly pry it open with my fingertip and slide it right out of my pocket no problem. Though I understand everyone's preferences are different! I definitely agree with you on the black clips over the shiny, polished clips. Clips in general are my only gripe with Spyderco, other than the amazing wire clips...and seem to be with many other people. This thread could become a real eye opener for the powers that be! *hint hint* 😉
vivi

Post by vivi »

RickC27 wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:50 pm
Really? I find it very easy to grab at the bottom of a deep carry, slightly pry it open with my fingertip and slide it right out of my pocket no problem. Though I understand everyone's preferences are different! I definitely agree with you on the black clips over the shiny, polished clips. Clips in general are my only gripe with Spyderco, other than the amazing wire clips...and seem to be with many other people. This thread could become a real eye opener for the powers that be! *hint hint* 😉
Oh I can draw a UKPK no problem, which has a deep carry clip, I just find having about 3/4" exposed to be my ideal. That makes the knife easier to draw. Just like I can open up a pocket knife with thumbstuds just fine, but I find the spyderhole easier to operate. Given both choices, I know which one I'll always choose.
:unicorn
Ric

Post by Ric »

Nice.
My favourite benchmade has a Spydiehole :D
Mini Grip.

Like Sal says we should use them.
And if a Benchmade clip makes it to be used more go for it.
Its still a Spyderco with a Spyderco invented add-on.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Ambitious is such a great knife. $20 when they came out. Solid and sturdy. There isn’t really a chunky small knife that compares anywhere near its price point.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Full disclosure adding a spyderco wire clip isn’t too hard either but the Benchmade feels better in hand.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Ric wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:17 pm
Nice.
My favourite benchmade has a Spydiehole :D
Mini Grip.
Yes, that is my favorite Benchmade. The full size griptillian with the round hole instead of a stinking stud. ;)
And as a bonus, it is hollow ground, which I like a lot (surprised you don't see that more).

I am totally OK with slapping a BM clip on a Spyderco. If it floats your boat, go for it. If I had some laying around, I might even try it myself.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Was obviously expecting abit of sass about this has gone over quite well :)
When I was working in the warehouse the knife poking up out of the pocket wasn’t big deal at all but now in a more professional environment where I’m meeting with landlords, home owners, tenants and various other folk it’s better to be cautious- especially here where carrying isn’t a legal right.
Last edited by Daveho on Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Termite Toothpick

Post by Termite Toothpick »

my eye is twitching....

but in truth it does look good, thanks for sharing.
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

You are most welcome-
While I don’t love the idea of a BM clip on a spydie it does mean an old friend gets carried more so I’m okay with it-
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've found deep carry to be more of a novelty than a real need, and even to be a problem for my work knife. When I need to cut something at work it's usually a tense situation where I don't have time to dig into my pocket for a knife so I really don't mind the 3/4 inch or so of the handle that sticks out, it's much easier to grab with gloves on and I've also found that i can usually grab the knife further up the handle which makes thumb placement better for opening. Deep carry for me is better suited to light casual use where the most my knife gets used for is to open a bag of chips or something.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I like it. My two favs. Sorta miss my old AFCK which had a round hole. But I like para 3 better!
As to deep carry, my employee handbook talks about “common pocket knives” being OK, and bans lawful concealed weapons. 😡 And since we are likely at odds about what constitutes a “common pocketknife”, I’m happy to have the deeper carry clip. For the record, people commonly using something would be what defines a “common pocketknife”, not an arbitrary definition by a lawyer. But y’all know that!