FRN Scales

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rummels

FRN Scales

Post by rummels »

I have read several threads on this and other forums that discussed the pros and cons of using fiberglass reinforced Nylon for knife scales, but I couldn't find any actual data or tests that measured the strength or toughness of FRN.

I have two Native 5's with FRN scales and, although I haven't subjected either knife to anything that could be described as hard use, the scales seem to be very solid. And I really like how light these knives are when I carry them.

Is anyone aware of any actual testing or data regarding the kinds of stresses Spyderco's FRN scales can or cannot handle (no pun intended)?
Thanks
Rummels
jackh

Re: FRN Scales

Post by jackh »

IMO FRN scales may be the best (or as good as any) in the world. They have held up to anything I've needed in a knife handle. There's no problem with getting them wet. If they get filthy you can clean them easily without worrying about altering color or anything else. Or, if the color of the FRN is light you can dye them as desired.

But in addition to that I LOVE the pattern Spyderco puts on their FRN scales. You get a great grip (in both directions) with a very durable material. And the fact that FRN can be the lower costing material doesn't hurt either.

I don't have any test results or anything like that. While that stuff can be interesting I think using a knife is about as good a test as you can get. That way you know if something meets your needs or not.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Natives are frcp. It's a little harder than frn and more brittle. Frn bounces better but I've thrown my native 5 about 20 feet onto cement without much damage. It's chipped a little from missing my pocket and falling. Frn usually just scuffs and bounces when dropped. It's not brittle like Glass or anything but doesn't handle falls as well as frn is all I'm saying. More rigid than frn.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

VashHash wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:18 am
Natives are frcp. It's a little harder than frn and more brittle. Frn bounces better but I've thrown my native 5 about 20 feet onto cement without much damage. It's chipped a little from missing my pocket and falling. Frn usually just scuffs and bounces when dropped. It's not brittle like Glass or anything but doesn't handle falls as well as frn is all I'm saying. More rigid than frn.

According to the Spyderco catalog, the Native 5 LW handles are FRN. The Manix LW knives are FRCP.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

The Meat man wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:47 am
VashHash wrote:

According to the Spyderco catalog, the Native 5 LW handles are FRN. The Manix LW knives are FRCP.
Feels like frcp to me. Even has the ridges they put in it like the manix. But yes the catalog has always said its frn.

Here's the chipping. Frn hasn't done this for me yet
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i have frn, frcp, and g10 scales. g10 is probably more durable, but they all feel like plastic to me. i’ve never had any handle material break in normal use, which includes the occasional accidental drop.

i have to say, i personally think spyderco handles are pretty hideous. however, once they’re in your hand you can’t even care anymore because they’re so good. this was most true with my manix 2 lw. so ugly and so perfect.

i’m hoping for a blacked out native 5 lw salt once the lc200n natives start rolling out.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The Meat man wrote:
VashHash wrote:

Has Sal or anyone ever clarified this? My understanding is that the Manix LW is FRCP and the Native LW is FRN, but the FRN is from an american company and is a different formula than the FRN in the Japan models, so they do feel and look different. My favorite is the Japanese FRN and you can definitely tell it apart from the Native LW scales, which I still believe are FRN, just a different formula.

I wish someone would clarify this and the reason for using FRCP in the Manix LW (ive heard so it can be transparent and for a slight increase in rigidity vs the FRN used in the Native) and FRN in the Native. Im also wondering if they come out with a Manix Backlock LW (maybe for a Salt version) if they can use FRN instead of FRCP. Same with a lightweight PM2 or Military or Para 3. Would those be FRN or FRCP? Also, can they tweak the FRN fprmula used in the Native to be closer to or the same as the Japan FRN. It seems most people including myself prefer the Japan FRN.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

G10 might be more durable (if we measure it by rigidity and stiffness) than FRCP and FRN, but more brittle and fragile. :eek:
I've chipped a few G10 knives from different manufacturers
:o

FRCP will also crack and chip more easily than FRN
I have actually never seen pics or video of a broken FRN handle, but I have of FRCP and G10

Love it, and even more at its relative price! :rolleyes:
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

The high work of fracture exhibited by the Japanese FRN (also known as the engineering definition of toughness) makes it one of my favorite handle materials for pocket knives. It may not be glamorous, but it has it where it counts.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Love FRN and surprising how my Endura has held up over 30 years, in fact very little scuff marks on it.

Never seen a broken handle, only broken FRN clips on early Spyderco Endura's.

Interestingly I purchased a Spydie Endura on ebay in the US with a chewed handle. Since it was cheap and going to be used
as a bush thrash knife it didn't worry me but the first real damage I have seen to FRN. I'd suggest a small dog did it.

I love it and after seeing the posts here re FRCP/G10 etc, will continue to stick with FRN.
Attachments
FRNChewedclose.jpg
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I sometimes have butterfingers and I have dropped quite a few knives on asphalt, concrete and rocks and frn handles impacts better. My very unscientific butter finger testing lists impact toughness in this order. FRN, Micarta, g10 then carbon fiber.

Also, while slabs of titanium make strong knife handles it does not handle drops onto hard surfaces as well as frn. It scratches and dents much easier than frn.

I assume that most of these materials are stronger than frn but I like that frn shows much less signs of wear over time.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:08 pm
but I like that frn shows much less signs of wear over time.
That I agree with and is very true.

Hardly any "wear" marks where you hold it or slide it in to pocket or webbing
which is unusual. My Endura has been slid in and out of rough Army webbing,
carried in the bottom of bags with keys, torches etc and it hasn't affected it
one bit.

Interesting comment re Micarta and Titanium. I think re titanium you'd have to look
at what metals were in it because it's not normally that soft.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I have an old pink native lw and it's definitely frn. Maybe someone will chime in that the new lw natives are indeed a "modified" frn. They just feel like frcp to me.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

FRN may seem a bit plastic-y and even cheap compared to G10 or carbon fiber, but no one can claim it isn’t tough stuff!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

VashHash wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:26 am
The Meat man wrote:
VashHash wrote:

Feels like frcp to me. Even has the ridges they put in it like the manix. But yes the catalog has always said its frn.

I do agree with you though that it does feel different than my Japanese FRN models. I don't own a Manix so I can't compare, but it would be interesting to know why the Golden FRN feels so different than the Japanese stuff.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
BravoTango

Post by BravoTango »

My biggest gripe with full FRN lockback knives like the Delica and Endura is the fit and finish between the scales and the backspacer, its hit or miss, but for example on my just acquired Vtoku-2 Endura, its not very clean at all, there is essentially, a little bit of flashing left from the molding process that wasn't fully removed. makes it look, and feel like the backspacer sits alittle proud of the scales.

I would prefer a steel backspacer/full liners if necessary, kinda like the LW Chaparral. or like we see on the pakkawood offerings.

as far as the FRN itself, I feel it's plenty tough and the material alone would dissuade me from a particular knife.
:spyder: Ben,

The North Remembers.

Has (Always in flux): Shaman, Chef, Techno, M390 Para 3, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 M4. Manix 2 XL, Blue Weave Domino, CF Chaparral, Vtoku2 Endura 4, D-Fly Salt Hawk SE.[/s].

Wants: Manix 2 XL CPM-M4 or 4V, Compression Lock, Tip-up Military, Yojimbo 2 XL.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Love FRN - don’t like FRCP.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

A version of FRN is what most power tool housings are made of. Very tough stuff. Not sexy, but darned effective. I think my favorite grip material is a roughed micarta, but for pure usability and stability in different use environments, FRN is probably best. Much like the much-maligned griptilian scales, they’re just plain effective as can be.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

VashHash wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:00 pm
I have an old pink native lw and it's definitely frn. Maybe someone will chime in that the new lw natives are indeed a "modified" frn. They just feel like frcp to me.
They’re FRN.

I my scientific opinion FRCP blows. I think Spyderco agrees based on the number of new models sporting FRCP (zero).
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:01 pm
A version of FRN is what most power tool housings are made of. Very tough stuff. Not sexy, but darned effective.
That's half the problem in today's world,
People go for sexy, bling, latest and greatest
over form, functionality and performance.