New Mules coming?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
supracor

New Mules coming?

Post by supracor »

I made several purchases in this period, and my crates are slowly drying up, so I would like to ask Sal or anybody who knows something if new mules in some strange steel are coming, so I know if I have to put aside some money to take 2 or 3 ;)
Thanks for everyone who gives me an answer :)
Nate

Re: New Mules coming?

Post by Nate »

Sal has noted here recently that Mule sales have slowed.

It doesn't sound like there's much appetite to release additional steels in the near-term. With 5 models still in stock and LC200N only selling out recently, it's probably wise for them to put the project on the back burner...
:spyder:
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Id rather have the mule be in folder form. Maybe something like a backlock manix lw in FRN or the Native LW. The native is essentially my personal mule platform as I have one in each steel they have released and will continue to do so (waiting on LC200N, Cruwear, 52100, M390/204P, CTS-XHP, Elmax...Vanax, 4V, 3V, V4E, Rex45, Rex121, etc)
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
supracor

Post by supracor »

thank you Nate, I did not know all that
I will spend the little money left in something else waiting some new mules in strange alloys :)
I think that the mules are fixed blades just to keep production costs lower, and that the only possible solution is to create mules with the UKPK or the Urban
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

supracor wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:14 am
I will spend the little money left in something else waiting some new mules in strange alloys :)
I think that the mules are fixed blades just to keep production costs lower, and that the only possible solution is to create mules with the UKPK or the Urban
true, but it shouldnt matter what the production costs are if they dont sell as well as a folder would. if it costs $50 to produce a fixed mule that they sell for $100, and they only sell 500 out of a run of 1000, then that makes far less business sense than charging $150 for a folding mule that costs $75 to produce if they can sell all 1000 of the run.

if they could make future mules in a FRN (white FRN would be awesome for RIT customization) Manix Backlock LW platform for under $150 retail, i would buy every one that comes out. i have no interest in the fixed mules because i cant carry a large fixed blade with me everywhere so i wouldnt have many opportunities to test the steel aside from setting specific time aside some evening to carve up a million amazon boxes. it just isnt very practical for me, and im guessing that there are others who have the same opinion.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

They should offer a combo bundle to buy the blade, handle and sheath in one go and maybe get $10 off or something. Might get more people invested in buying them
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
supracor

Post by supracor »

I do not think mules are big blades, but everyone has their own yardstick :)
I think sprint runs can sometimes be considered folding mules and therefore if spyderco made folding mules they would be seen as sprint runs
Frankly I prefer the fixed mules especially with relatively tough steel because I can abuse more in a fixed blade rather than in a folder; moreover mule in hss or carbon steels are definitely easier to maintain, a very important factor for me that I am a rust maniac ;)
supracor

Post by supracor »

koenigsegg wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:38 pm
They should offer a combo bundle to buy the blade, handle and sheath in one go and maybe get $10 off or something. Might get more people invested in buying them

I also believe that if spyderco made complete packages with a kydex sheath included and frn handles the mule project would work more, although I must say that i love to customize my mules because so many times I not only apply my personal touch but I improve the ergo of the handle that is always uncomfortable to my not so small hands
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I guess I just figured the more people have 1 mule they would be more likely to buy another blade to change out in their scales.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:41 pm
supracor wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:14 am
true, but it shouldnt matter what the production costs are if they dont sell as well as a folder would. if it costs $50 to produce a fixed mule that they sell for $100, and they only sell 500 out of a run of 1000, then that makes far less business sense than charging $150 for a folding mule that costs $75 to produce if they can sell all 1000 of the run.

if they could make future mules in a FRN (white FRN would be awesome for RIT customization) Manix Backlock LW platform for under $150 retail, i would buy every one that comes out. i have no interest in the fixed mules because i cant carry a large fixed blade with me everywhere so i wouldnt have many opportunities to test the steel aside from setting specific time aside some evening to carve up a million amazon boxes. it just isnt very practical for me, and im guessing that there are others who have the same opinion.
I'm not a lawyer so i have no idea about liability in this case but i don't understand how so many aftermarket scales are available for some of these knives and they work just fine. Same with guys doing blade swaps. Spyderco's tolerances are usually really pretty good. Anyway, disclaimers stating the knife carries no warranty and spyderco assumes no liability if the lock fails due to blade swaps and the customer assumes all risk seems like it should work. I see disclaimers like that quite a bit.

Personally I'd be all over these blades. I CAN carry fixed blades but i much prefer the convenience and discretion of a folder to the point where i don't carry fixed blades regardless. I think itd probably cut into sales.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
supracor

Post by supracor »

Bodog wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:44 pm

Personally I'd be all over these blades. I CAN carry fixed blades but i much prefer the convenience and discretion of a folder to the point where i don't carry fixed blades regardless. I think itd probably cut into sales.

Luckily where I live a large blade does not create impression; in fact when I had my Natchez bowie i always carried it with me without problems.
I find fixed blades better because sometimes the tasks I perform require a robust tool, and it is not the first time I destroy a folder; in fact I can say to do the opposite of you because it's been a long time since i bring only fixed blades with me
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

What was the main decided reason as to why the Mule sales have slowed? Was it simply because most knife users wanted to wait until actual finished production models with full handle scales and other features are available, as opposed to purchasing the unfinished Mule for testing of the steel?
supracor

Post by supracor »

Maybe people don't like PD1, B70P, 20CV, LC200N or PMA11
I'm amazed that the mules in PMA11 are still on sale, I thought they would sell more.
Nate

Post by Nate »

I do hope Spyderco continues to make Mules in the future, despite the current oversupply.

It's a heck of a nice blank for a general/utility fixed blade and it's a great excuse to buy from Syderco directly at a reasonable price and have a chance to get cool freebies like catalogs and stickers!! :D

My only problem personally is that I already have 2 B70P's and they've been great for me, so I haven't had a compelling reason to buy more as I'm not really into testing or collecting them a whole lot.

SEF,

My recollection is that they used to produce them less frequently and possibly in smaller batches. Then, a few in "hot" steels sold out extremely quickly, like a day or two. There was some uproar here on the forum, Spyderco responded, and then... some continued to sell well, others are less popular. Also, with some many sprints and exclusives these days, there are a ton of steels available in multiple models. For example, I'm interested in LC200N, but not terribly sad I missed the mule because I can get a Waterway soon, or the Native, Carribean, 'Chef, etc...
:spyder:
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Nate wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:20 pm
Also, with some many sprints and exclusives these days, there are a ton of steels available in multiple models. For example, I'm interested in LC200N, but not terribly sad I missed the mule because I can get a Waterway soon, or the Native, Carribean, 'Chef, etc...
I think that may hit the nail on the head. Far too few people can carry and use a fixed blade in the real world. The rest are collectors and there's no real reason to collect mule teams anymore. Now we know the stated goal is to manufacture a blade that people can use in the real world and give real world feedback so i can't for the life of me figure out why there's not a folder equivalent within the mule team world unless it impacted sales. There would be FAR MORE people able and willing to use a folder than a fixed blade in daily use.

My opinion is that Spyderco generally tests the newer steels enough now to not need real world input and it was a collector's item. Now that collector's dont want them anymore Spyderco doesn't want to manufacture them. In the 6 years or so I've really been into knives I've never really seen a great deal of feedback on the different steels within the mule team. So what's the point of continuing a program that no one wants in its current configuration? The only real options are to discontinue the program or change the program that allows people to carry the steel everyday which cuts into future sales. From a business standpoint, the choice is obvious. From a steel afi standpoint, the choice is obvious. Though both have different solutions.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Nate wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:36 am
Sal has noted here recently that Mule sales have slowed.
It seems that most of the recent steels have not developed the wow factor of something like Maxamet.
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

I used to buy quite a few Mules and stopped a while ago, so I can offer my personal take. First of all, I'm not obsessive enough to drive most of these steels to their limits and really see the differences. Second, I have more than enough for general use. Third, as I've used the Mules over the years, I've grown to dislike the design. I've ground off guards, ground off the bump at the end of the handle, done all sorts of things to try to improve it to my taste, and nothing has worked well enough to satisfy me. I just don't like the angle between the blade and handle. The blade droops too much for me if that makes sense. So I haven't bought a Mule since M390 ...
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I want an S110V mule.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

At around $69 Mules are the best deal for the money Spyderco has hands down. I had given away or sold off all my mules and they decided to pick up 3 more. You cannot lose picking up a mule and using it as a test bed for making a handle, sheath or whatever. I found I really prefer the blade shape and style to.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I would buy a folding mule in a new york second.

Once in back to work and the paychecks are constant again, I'll be looking at mules in both high toughness and high edge retention steels.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?