Which steel for red handles?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bodog

Which steel for red handles?

Post by Bodog »

sal wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:38 pm
Hi Mherodtx,
... we're starting to see some red models. Perhaps I'll suggest using a variation of red for some new exotic steel we find?

sal
My vote goes to red handled vanax salt series with black dlc hardware and clip. What say you?
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
attila

Re: Which steel for red handles?

Post by attila »

I don't mind this idea, but think the shade of red should be new. The trainer and DLT red have been used already (might be the same red).

Should it be lighter or darker? Idk. What about a deep red-orange?
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

CPM REX 121?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Bodog wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:47 pm
sal wrote:
Hi Mherodtx,
... we're starting to see some red models. Perhaps I'll suggest using a variation of red for some new exotic steel we find?

sal
My vote goes to red handled vanax salt series with black dlc hardware and clip. What say you?
Give me Vanax on a red G10 show side scale Ti framelock and I'd be one very happy customer. Reissue the red and black weave CF domino with solid CF, washers instead of bearings, and a Vanax blade? I'd be incredibly happy with that.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

AEB-L. Anything with a flat grind.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Oh man, Red is my favorote scale color. The red on the DLT PM2 is awesome. Id love to see that used more. My vote would be for a run of the popular golden models with red scales in 4V or 3V. DLC as an option would be awesome as well and would look incredible against the red. Id also take it a step further and do the Native and Manix LW models in Red FRN/FRCP with 4V or 3V.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Bodog wrote:
sal wrote:
Hi Mherodtx,

sal

:cool: :rolleyes: :D
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Bodog wrote:
sal wrote:
Hi Mherodtx,

sal

I like the idea of some Vanax Salt models...but I feel like Salts should remain yellow (or black/black). There is an awesome Day Glow Neon Yellow G10 that is semi-translucent. That would be my wish for any G10 salts.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

How does this look?
image.jpeg
oh yeah, S30V.
Last edited by holeshot on Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:09 am
+1
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

tvenuto wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:34 pm
Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:09 am
+1
I'd like to try AEBL but only if it's ridiculously hard and with a very, very thin grind with edge angles at 12 dps or less. Otherwise i don't see a point. I haven't seen spyderco ever go crazy with grinds except for the single zero grind half *** puuko folder so i don't have my hopes up. If any major manufacturer could, it's spyderco, but i see them trying to keep up with the joneses rather than making their own path like they have in the past.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Bodog wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:03 pm
I'd like to try AEBL but only if it's ridiculously hard and with a very, very thin grind with edge angles at 12 dps or less. Otherwise i don't see a point. I haven't seen spyderco ever go crazy with grinds except for the single zero grind half *** puuko folder so i don't have my hopes up. If any major manufacturer could, it's spyderco, but i see them trying to keep up with the joneses rather than making their own path like they have in the past.
I trust spyderco to do what's best, they've had more hits than misses. And I've posted this before (I think in response to a similar discussion), but the Hap40 delica was ground thinner to take advantage of the toughness of the steel. Thus, it does seem that spyderco, in at least this instance, was willing to change the geometry of a model to further take advantage of the steel used.

It's not the best picture, but this is the Hap40 and a gray VG-10. The Hap40 is definitely thinner at the spine.

ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

attila wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:54 pm
What about a deep red-orange?
NO. Everyone and their brother makes an orange knife. We don't need another shade of that hideous color on the market.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

holeshot wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:19 pm
How does this look?image.jpeg oh yeah, S30V.
Dang that looks good. For a salt series I'd hope it would be a little brighter. For a regular knife though, that looks great. I'd probably do without the coated blade but I'd be happy with it if it was the only option available. I really like red/black, dark blue/silver, and dark green/gold combinations, though.
Last edited by Bodog on Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

tvenuto wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:13 pm
Bodog wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:03 pm
I trust spyderco to do what's best, they've had more hits than misses. And I've posted this before (I think in response to a similar discussion), but the Hap40 delica was ground thinner to take advantage of the toughness of the steel. Thus, it does seem that spyderco, in at least this instance, was willing to change the geometry of a model to further take advantage of the steel used.

It's not the best picture, but this is the Hap40 and a gray VG-10. The Hap40 is definitely thinner at the spine.

Lete hope they continue this trend and not the trend of exposing the cutting edges in the lockbar cutouts.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:54 pm
CPM REX 121?
YES. Good Lord YES. REX 121 deserves crimson blood red.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

AEB-L? You guys like whittling hairs and shaving your face with a folding knife that much? Lol
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Pelagic wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:02 pm
AEB-L? You guys like whittling hairs and shaving your face with a folding knife that much? Lol
A lot of guys seem to like 52100 and Super Blue...
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Bodog wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:20 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:02 pm
A lot of guys seem to like 52100 and Super Blue...
I understand those moreso, for different reasons. 52100 is an excellent workhorse steel with impressive toughness and apex stability, SuperBlue is capable of high hardness and (unless I'm wrong) should have significantly better edge retention than AEB-L. All 3 take an incredibly keen edge.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
attila

Post by attila »

ugarguy wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:43 pm
attila wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:54 pm
What about a deep red-orange?
NO. Everyone and their brother makes an orange knife. We don't need another shade of that hideous color on the market.
Whoa, calm down buddy! I'm sorry for almost ruining your day, but you might be mistaking my meaning.

The deep red-orange I suggest is not like a regular orange at all. It's much more of a red than an orange. What I'm thinking of is at the 9 o'clock position of the lowest blood orange in this picture:

If anything, it may be too close to regular red G10 to warrant its use, but if the right shade is chosen, it could be sweet. Either this shade or a true blood-red would be nice.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5