Space Corps knife??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: Space Corps knife??

Post by sal »

Back to knives in a few seconds. So where does the Cobalt we use in knives come from and how?

sal
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

emanuel wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:05 am
You are misinformed on this subject. The article you shared just proves my point... Even their high dpm/kgm values are LOWER than Earth background radiation.
As I stated two weeks ago...
Accutron wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:44 pm
I don't know the isotope production rates involved, or how that translates to human tissue exposure.
Accutron wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:44 pm
Perhaps the quantities are too small over the life of the knife to be a serious concern.
You said that there is no Co-60 in measurable amounts in any meteorite ever found or collected. I immediately did a Google search and clicked on the first relevant link, a NASA paper in which they measure the amounts of Co-60 in chondrites.

Earth background radiation is somewhere around 50 DPM on average. The paper in question measured Co-60 disintegration rates higher than 200 DPM per kilogram. The cobalt content in the chondrites being studied is 0.06-0.09% of total composition. Depending on the cobalt-containing steel in question, with N690 on the low end and Maxamet on the high end, the steel would contain between about 20 and 130 times the amount of cobalt as a chondrite by weight. It may not be a medically harmful amount of radiation, but it's certainly not immeasurable (or irrelevent, IMO).
legOFwhat? wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:23 am
There is a joke to be had about "Tang" in here but for the life of me I can't find it..:)
In an old episode of That '70s Show, Kelso is reading an article about astronauts in Boy's Life magazine... "Wow. Chicks must really dig astronauts, 'cause it says here that astronauts get all the Tang they want." :D
sal wrote:
So where does the Cobalt we use in knives come from and how?
Iron, cobalt and nickel are all part of the "iron peak", the heaviest elements produced in stellar nucleosynthesis. Everything heavier is produced by more exotic processes such as supernovae. The newest research (that I know of) suggests that niobium and upward are predominantly manufactured by merging neutron stars.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Accutron wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:18 am
legOFwhat? wrote:
There is a joke to be had about "Tang" in here but for the life of me I can't find it..:)
In an old episode of That '70s Show, Kelso is reading an article about astronauts in Boy's Life magazine... "Wow. Chicks must really dig astronauts, 'cause it says here that astronauts get all the Tang they want." :D
:D gives new thought on 'Full" tang and "hidden" tang.

Back to space: Got to have a knife that can make it past the Van Allen belt. :p
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

For alien encounters, a large fixed blade with full tang alien skull cracker, plain edge for slicing alien tentacles, a drop point for stabbing aliens, a serrated spine for sawing through alien exoskeletons, a knuckle duster hand guard for slugging alien faces and a lanyard hole.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Id just be happy with the original White FRN Space Corps Delica. That thing was sweet! We need some new sprints/exclusives in white FRN! :)
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Choosing from Spyderco knives that have already been manufactured,
the obvious choice would be... (drumroll, wait for it) The Starmate.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

On December 14th, 1972, Cernan became the last human to step on the Moon’s surface.

But... ;)
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

You can still get one of these, but they're out of stock right now.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... -Astro/736

Astronaut Gordon Cooper did the final design. Who was he ?

https://youtu.be/p3nj-w5UL8U
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Didn't Isaac Asimov already come up with this idea?
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
markg

Post by markg »

sal wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:23 am
What chores and functions might this space knife have to perform?

sal
I would think the majority of tasks a cutting tool in space would need to accomplish are opening packaging, there maybe a need in an emergency to craft materials into improvised equipment (think Apollo 13).

Most if not all the use would be with un gloved hands. We are not talking space suits, that would require specialized tools.

Since it is zero gravity, I think it needs to be a folder, a forgotten fixed blade floating around is a bad idea.

I would make a multi-bladed knife, the main blade some type of shroud or cord cutter, and the secondary blade a drop point, possibly serrated. The shroud cutter will open most packaged items, tape, thread, fabric, wire, etc... And do so safely. If a drop point is deemed too unsafe, then make it a sheepsfoot. Possibly a third blade/tool specific to the mission.
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Mad Mac wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:19 pm

I think we have a winner.
Crux

Post by Crux »

This one of course.
Attachments
61ABQA+gt8S._SL1063_.jpg
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Crux wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:59 pm
This one of course.

Ha ha! :D
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Freediver wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:48 am
Mad Mac wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:19 pm

I think we have a winner.

The Starmate is a design Id really like to see in a sprint with a tough Cruwear-esque steel. Red G10 and a TiCN coated solid YSS Hap 5R or solid SRS-15 blade?
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Oooo, white FRN would be a plus.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:45 pm
Oooo, white FRN would be a plus.

Yeah, white FRN and DLC coating on any knife is a great combo.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

This might also be interesting to you

http://knifenews.com/knives-in-space/
[/quote]

Thanks, it really was.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

I think a multi blade knife would be best for space ( inside environment not in EVA suit) something like a Clipit with a PE drop point blade, sheep’s foot SE, a MRE opener and sal can pick the 4th... white G10 or FRN of course.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Tims

Post by Tims »

Cool thread. I’ll reply before reading through it all.

If I was going to space I’d take a box of Ti Militarys. S110v(or similar) in SE or combo edge.

- Military size for all round utility.
- Ti for weight and durability
- RIL for easy one hand closing
- s110v for edge retention. SE or combo for longest useable life without sharpening and utility.
- A box of them because they would be one use. Once they’re dull they get replaced or dumped. I imagine risk management would be top priority and not everyone can sharpen a knife so no sharpening.
- Self defense. Worst case scenario, aliens. More likely? A crazed fellow ‘naut.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Tims wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:40 pm
Cool thread. I’ll reply before reading through it all.

If I was going to space I’d take a box of Ti Militarys. S110v(or similar) in SE or combo edge.

- Military size for all round utility.
- Ti for weight and durability
- RIL for easy one hand closing
- s110v for edge retention. SE or combo for longest useable life without sharpening and utility.
- A box of them because they would be one use. Once they’re dull they get replaced or dumped. I imagine risk management would be top priority and not everyone can sharpen a knife so no sharpening.
- Self defense. Worst case scenario, aliens. More likely? A crazed fellow ‘naut.
Great thinking.