Delica vs rescue

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Smeadism

Delica vs rescue

Post by Smeadism »

I always found the rescue to be a cousin of the Delica/Endura. Just wondering why the rescue is still linerless whilst the delica/endura have liners now
Spyderco Shaman, Lil Native & Rescue 79mm Orange handle (work knife)
waiting ever so patiently for the McBee to come out
Jazz

Re: Delica vs rescue

Post by Jazz »

Nothing wrong with linerless at all.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Jazz wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:54 pm
Nothing wrong with linerless at all.
Depends on what you use your knives for.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Has anyone ever seen a picture of broken FRN in a smallish folder? I haven’t. Feel like breaking one is rather unlikely. I’m cool with liners, don’t feel like the weight is an issue, but I wouldn’t hesitate to use one without.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

It's the feel of the knife and the confidence it gives the user. I think we can all agree that you can only reduce the weight but so much. How is a folder with a 3" blade too heavy anyway? I realize many "knife guys" simply open letters and packages, but some people use knives in imperfect (imagine that) scenarios, and the extra durability reduces the chance of a mistake changing the way the knife works.

Do you think Bodog wishes his 204p military weighed 2 oz less when he used it to rescue 2 dying passengers in a burning car the other day? I'm sure he's glad the military was built the way it is. And in the moment he needed it to perfom, before the task had been accomplished, I'm willing to bet he wished it was even more robust.

Having a tough knife may seem like a waste to some. Having a top-notch security system in your house may seem like a waste as well. You just never know when it could come in handy; maybe even save your life. Spyderco makes plenty of small lightweight knives. I really hope they never feel the need to continue reducing weight, thickness, strength, etc. in all their folders.

https://youtu.be/ecrmkgExZec

Michael Christy talks about this issue some at the end.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

To each his own. I’ve tested linerless FRN, and know how tough it is. I’m fine with it.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Jazz wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:51 pm
To each his own. I’ve tested linerless FRN, and know how tough it is. I’m fine with it.
So have I. It'll handle the vast majority of tasks just fine. It's just about being prepared.

I was looking into a native 5 in maxamet at one point, even though I don't like the thought of linerless FRN when it's that thin. But it lacking washers was the deal breaker in the end. There's also a certain amount of quality that comes with better materials, it isn't all just strength, durability, and weight.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

If you think you may need a knife for prying and twisting tough materials then liners would likely make a difference although I don’t really know that. And if there is a difference, how much would it be?

For cutting tasks I would think a linerless FRN handle would work fine. I could likely slice through seat belt material with my Dragonfly.

Not so much disagreeing with you but curious as to the merits of liners vrs non-liner handle’s in most situations.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Smeadism

Post by Smeadism »

Not saying it needs liners, just wondering if it would get liners in a future iteration, like the Delica has now. Love my Rescue 79mm for an Ermgency Services knife. It fits the bill nicely
Spyderco Shaman, Lil Native & Rescue 79mm Orange handle (work knife)
waiting ever so patiently for the McBee to come out
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If there is a future iteration that's different from the current, I would expect it to stay linerless and move to a more 3D webbed lightweight handle design like the Salt 2 now has. Beyond that the only real issue is the D bolt design pivot pin potentially rounding out the pivot hole in the handles, which is far less of an issue on larger knives anyway but could be remedied by moving to a 3 piece bushing pivot.

On a side note, some of you guys are really limiting yourselves by a lot of hypothetical needs and situations that you're unlikely to ever encounter. The linerless Salts are super durable knives that can withstand more than what a folder should really be used for anyway.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Are the serrations on the rescue different from other spyderco serrations?
Last edited by knivesandbooks on Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

MichaelScott wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:52 am
If you think you may need a knife for prying and twisting tough materials then liners would likely make a difference although I don’t really know that. And if there is a difference, how much would it be?

For cutting tasks I would think a linerless FRN handle would work fine. I could likely slice through seat belt material with my Dragonfly.

Not so much disagreeing with you but curious as to the merits of liners vrs non-liner handle’s in most situations.
Purposely prying or twisting isn't an activity in which I would imply that anyone on this forum would partake, personally.

If you never make mistakes or only open letters and packages, by all means, get an extremely delicate knife. Any added durability or weight would objectively be a waste.

Lateral pressure can be applied accidentally during hard use, and it can negatively impact the action, reduce smoothness, introduce blade play, shorten the life of the pivot, etc. I've seen this countless times. I firmly support (in spyderco's lineup) the existence of at least a few models with full liners, good sized phosphor bronze washers, and robust pivot hardware, as well as a lock that is good for harder use. These things are slowly drawing me toward the pm2 over the military, despite me loving the blade size of the military.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?