I want to buy one knife to last me ~10 years

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ugaarguy

Re: I want to buy one knife to last me ~10 years

Post by ugaarguy »

Wait for an eBay coupon, stretch your budget a bit, and get a Dice. The Taichung, Taiwan Spydercos are the arguably better made than the US and Japanese models. Many of Spyderco's most expensive and most highly regarded knives are made in Taichung. The Dice has a blade under 3 inches, it deploys very quickly with the flipper but can still be opened slowly with the blade hole, the frame lock makes it easy and fast to close, and the hardened steel lock bar face makes it even more durable. Don't let it get dull, and simply touch up the blade on a leather strop.

Now, if a back lock is fast enough and satisfying enough in opening and closing for you, then the already mentioned Chaparral is hard to beat. But it's not impossible to beat. I personally prefer the liner-less construction of the Native 5 lightweight. If you like orange handles, there is the Cutlery Shoppe exclusive Native 5 LW with S90V blade for $95.

Honestly, though, it seems like you're asking for $150+ knife specs and features for $100. If you watch their channels closely to get in early, you might be able to score a good deal on a very lightly used, higher end, Spyderco from a YouTube knife reviewer. Channels / People like The Apostle P, Birdshot IV, etc, somewhat regularly sell off some of their knives to free up funds to buy new knives for review.
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:23 am

I think the Manix 2 LW is going to be too large. It's my all time favorite Spyderco platform, but if you're worried about blade length restrictions I don't think it's the right choice for you.

Whoops. I misread that. For whatever reason I was thinking that was approximately (~) not less than. Thank you.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

One knife? Under a hundred clams? Less than 3in long? And plenty durable?

Delica4. No question.

Had I bought it first, I might not have amassed so many Spydies so fast. It’s that satisfying.

EDIT: Overlooked your comment about Delica/Endura handles. FRN is not my favorite for looks, but Spyderco’s purpose is to give you a good grip, and their molds do just that.

If you’re prepared to go $20 over your limit, I’d not disagree with Native and Chaparral recommendations. I have both and love ‘em. But steer clear of excellent S110V if sharpening is a mystery to you
Last edited by wrdwrght on Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Delica or native
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

First off, if you buy one Spydie you will be buying several more. Either right away, or after a few months.

I second the PM2. It comes in many different steels and colors to fit your needs. You will also like the compression lock. The math also works if you only want one knife for 10 years. Depending on which steel you choose, it will cost you around $10 to $15 per year for a top quality knife. If the blade length is a concern, then look to the Sage 5.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
benben

Post by benben »

10 years of daily use is a long time, find a G-10 knife in the size you need and go ahead and spend $120-$140 and be done....that averages out to $12-$14 per year! Two great examples of USA built knives in that price range & size are the Native & Para 3. Either one should serve you well for 10 years.
Last edited by benben on Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Native
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I give the Native as my recommendation. It seems to fill in all your requirements, and is available in a number of different steels.

I own one (Maxamet) and it's a great knife.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
5pins

Post by 5pins »

ebay is have 20% right now.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Save up a few extra dollars and get a Native 5 G10 in S110V or wait for the Native 5 Salt.

It's a fantastic little knife.

Looks like you can get one on ebay for around 130ish with the coupon.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

Delica or native - done. You will not find awesome deployment on these knives, but they are perennial best EDC's. PM3 if you want the compression lock and better deployment. But, the delica is the most popular edc around
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

One more idea, you will want a fixed knife for camping. There is a phil wilson bow river for $35 or so, leaving you $65 for a knife - delica. The bow river is made in China though, but it is the best priced fixed blade around
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I know you want to keep it under $100 but from the things you say you want, I think the para3 is the knife for you.

Lots of folks are recommending a native and though i think it’s a fine knife and love Spyderco’s backlocks, I think your desire for “fast, satisfying deployment and retraction” might leave you happier with the para3. I also much prefer the ergos of the para3 but that’s more subjective.
renegador

Post by renegador »

Surfingringo wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:21 pm
I know you want to keep it under $100 but from the things you say you want, I think the para3 is the knife for you.

Lots of folks are recommending a native and though i think it’s a fine knife and love Spyderco’s backlocks, I think your desire for “fast, satisfying deployment and retraction” might leave you happier with the para3. I also much prefer the ergos of the para3 but that’s more subjective.
Pretty much was going to post exactly what this gentleman has said.

Look for a coupon, and grab a Para3 in S30V for an easily sharpened, durable blade.
jousmit19

Post by jousmit19 »

40mm

Post by 40mm »

Just read a thread from 2013 where a police officer had carried the same Endura for over 20 years. Unfortunately the images are gone. I love the idea of having that one trusty tool that has been with you for a loooong time.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

If you don’t use it as a prybar any knife will last 10 years. For EDC it’s hard to beat the Chaparral. But it’s tiny and thin and not knowing what you mean by “camping” I hesitate to suggest it.

“Camping” makes me think more Manix 2/Para 2/Tenacious sized. Don’t underestimate the Tenacious, it’s a good knife with an easy to maintain steel. It’s really a solid choice.
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

zhyla wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:40 pm
If you don’t use it as a prybar any knife will last 10 years. For EDC it’s hard to beat the Chaparral. But it’s tiny and thin and not knowing what you mean by “camping” I hesitate to suggest it.

“Camping” makes me think more Manix 2/Para 2/Tenacious sized. Don’t underestimate the Tenacious, it’s a good knife with an easy to maintain steel. It’s really a solid choice.
Camping and EDC, for sub $100. Bow River and a delica, that has to be the ticket - since he wants a sub 3 inch blade. Or, PM3, but that is a small blade for camping uses
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

But, we all know how this ends. Bitten by the spydie bug and more knives follow...
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

ZMW wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:55 pm
But, we all know how this ends. Bitten by the spydie bug and more knives follow...
Yep! I wanted 2 or 3... ended up with 10 in a little over 4 months. Love every one them! If I had to sell one, it would be my Sage 5...and that even sounds crazy.