I want to buy one knife to last me ~10 years

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tucson Tom

Re: I want to buy one knife to last me ~10 years

Post by Tucson Tom »

Picked up a Mora "clipper 840" at my local shop for $17 and ogled various other fancy knives Eric had in the cases. Apparently the clipper is discontinued, replaced by the "companion", so this must be old stock. The Mora looks like a lot of usefulness for under $20, and you get a decent little scabbard too.

But I still advocate for the PM2 for the OP. Both Eric and the lady helping him in the store pulled out their PM2s from their pockets to show me. Eric had his PM2 half pimped out with one aftermarket titanium scale on one side (still G10 on the other as some kind of demo). The lady had hers with some fancy titanium aftermarket scales with an iridescent purple pattern. Not that I am saying the OP needs to add aftermarket scales, but the fact that both of the folks behind the counter in the store were packing PM2's and showing them off to me should say something.
embry386

Post by embry386 »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:53 pm
Picked up a Mora "clipper 840" at my local shop for $17 and ogled various other fancy knives Eric had in the cases. Apparently the clipper is discontinued, replaced by the "companion", so this must be old stock. The Mora looks like a lot of usefulness for under $20, and you get a decent little scabbard too.

But I still advocate for the PM2 for the OP. Both Eric and the lady helping him in the store pulled out their PM2s from their pockets to show me. Eric had his PM2 half pimped out with one aftermarket titanium scale on one side (still G10 on the other as some kind of demo). The lady had hers with some fancy titanium aftermarket scales with an iridescent purple pattern. Not that I am saying the OP needs to add aftermarket scales, but the fact that both of the folks behind the counter in the store were packing PM2's and showing them off to me should say something.
I'm assuming from your name that you live in Tucson too and are talking about Blade Runner Knives? Awesome place :D Yeah the owner is really a fan of the Paramilitary 2. He was carrying a Strider SNG last time I talked to him tho, which was the first time I'd seen one. Pretty cool knife

As far as a knife rec goes, I can say that I've used my serrated Native pretty hard since I bought it last year and it's held up wonderfully. It's the perfect EDC size and shape. I'd prefer something larger for camping and cooking and chopping up small sticks for a fire, probably my Endura, but the Native would probably hold up as well as any small knife can to those kinds of tasks. Also the ergonomics are great on my hands and I can easily open and close it one-handed, with a very dramatic and loud knife-opening sound when I flick it open, which is super fun. The base model's steel is pretty good too, and has options for upgrading to s90 or s110 (if you spend some time looking on eBay for a good deal, the upgrades will probably be within your budget). Great range of colors, coated and non-coated blades available, plain and serrated and combo edges, great range of handle materials, and if you don't like the color then you can probably RIT dye it.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

embry386 wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:43 pm
I'm assuming from your name that you live in Tucson too and are talking about Blade Runner Knives?
Right on both counts. Yes, Blade Runner is a nice shop and Eric is becoming a Spyderco fan, so I hope for more in
that way. They need to carry more Spyderco. Of course that is easy for me to say and another matter to run a
retail store and figure out what actually sells and moves.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

ZMW wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:14 pm
One more idea, you will want a fixed knife for camping. There is a phil wilson bow river for $35 or so, leaving you $65 for a knife - delica. The bow river is made in China though, but it is the best priced fixed blade around
If someone wants one fixed blade for camping, can the bow river really be recommended? From the little I've seen, it seems thin, which can be a great thing. But I don't think it's something you'll be beating on in a camping situation. It seems more like a light use, finer detail outdoors knife, like cleaning fish on the bank of a lake...
ceya

Post by ceya »

Goddard Jr , if you could find one.
Used my Baby Goddard alot over 20 yrs . Retired it. In 2008