Very DISAPPOINTED w/ laminated steel sprint runs

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Trackstar555

Very DISAPPOINTED w/ laminated steel sprint runs

Post by Trackstar555 »

I have a en Endurs V-Toku2/SUS with one side nice uniformed lines. The other side, it’s barley above the edge.

I just got my delica Wharncliffe sprint HAP40 and the same thing. One side is fine and the other side is wavy and barely above the cutting edge.

I have a sprint run regular delica HAP40 with wavy lines but at least I have room on both sides to sharpen and stay under the laminated lines. One side is lower than the other though.

I called Spyderco customer service and was told they are having all sorts of wave patterns and even some have disappeared before reaching the end which is definitely wrong they admitted. I was on speaker phone with a nice lady and she said they can’t replace the models since they are sold out and could only give a store credit. I was also told that it should NOT be so low that you sharpen and eventually run into the laminated line sooner rather than later.

She didn’t have much answer as far as if they are trying to fix this. I asked why FALLKNIVEN can have such uniformed perfect laminated lines and they can’t. Other knife makers have nice uniformity and plenty of room to sharpen before running into the laminated lines

I’m highly disappointed in the crappy laminated lines and the fact they are a few millimeters from the edge but on the other side, you have PLENTY OF ROOM.
twinboysdad

Re: Very DISAPPOINTED w/ laminated steel sprint runs

Post by twinboysdad »

I personally hate the lamination but it is apparently a part of manufacturing in Japan. HAP 40 did not need laminate but I can see why Super Blue was. You should stick with Golden, CO steel sprints as they are not laminated (very often)
Last edited by twinboysdad on Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

I have 3-4 with laminated blades and all are consistent on both sides. I don't blame you for being upset - poor workmanship. Makes me glad that no more laminates are on my wish list.
Trackstar555

Post by Trackstar555 »

I just can’t believe Spyderco allows these to be released. The lines are HORRIBLE and uneven. And their customer service didn’t really seem to care much. Just said send them in and we will look and potentially refund you. I look on eBay and the trading posts on FB and never have seen one uniformed yet on both sides.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Why didn't you just send it back to the dealer for a refund
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

How about some pictures? I would like to see the variation from each side and also how close to the edge the laminate is on the bad side.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
Trackstar555

Post by Trackstar555 »

I’ll post some pics shortly.
attila

Post by attila »

The only disappointment I feel in the laminations is that they are such soft, scratchable 410 stainless. Lamination with, at the MINIMUM, 420 or preferably higher wear resistance steels would preclude this problem.

On heavy user knives, scratches don't matter, but if someone wants to designate a laminated blade as their prestine, "dressy" knife, they'll may be disappointed rather quickly if they cut anything besides food.

With regard to the lines, as long as they aren't near or on the cutting edge, I don't mind them.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
fixall

Post by fixall »

Can we get some pictures to back up what you're talking about?

I picked up two of the HAP40 Wharncliffes. While neither of the demarcations are very even, it doesn't bother me the slightest (not sure why it would be an issue with anything other than aesthetics) and they don't come anywhere close to the edge.

Here's a pic (both sides of the knives have similar grinds).
Last edited by fixall on Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I agree that you should have just sent it back if you disliked it so much, find a dealer that will check a few in inventory and send you the best one.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

attila wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:18 pm
The only disappointment I feel in the laminations is that they are such soft, scratchable 410 stainless. Lamination with, at the MINIMUM, 420 or preferably higher wear resistance steels would preclude this problem.

On heavy user knives, scratches don't matter, but if someone wants to designate a laminated blade as their prestine, "dressy" knife, they'll may be disappointed rather quickly if they cut anything besides food.

With regard to the lines, as long as they aren't near or on the cutting edge, I don't mind them.
Totally agree about the soft, scratchable 410. Just last week I was bored at work and cut around 150 slices of cardboard with my Delica Pakkawood. There are quite a few thin scratches on the 410 now. Flitz didn't help. I guess I'm not terribly disappointed, as it's already developed a bit of a patina from cutting steak with it when I first got it, so it's lost it's pristine look from the start. But, it's not a terrible thing because I absolutely love using that knife now. Bought a bronze deep carry Lynch clip for it, can't wait to put that on the knife tonight!

The laminations on mine are also a bit uneven, but don't sound nearly as bad as the OP's. Interested to see his pics once posted.

*images of mine are posted below*
Last edited by RickC27 on Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strider

Post by Strider »

As long as there is at least a little bit of space between the edge and the lamination line I do not care what it looks like. Mine looks similar to the bottom of the picture above.
Last edited by Strider on Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Trackstar555 wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:36 pm
I just can’t believe Spyderco allows these to be released. The lines are HORRIBLE and uneven. And their customer service didn’t really seem to care much. Just said send them in and we will look and potentially refund you. I look on eBay and the trading posts on FB and never have seen one uniformed yet on both sides.
Sounds like you got a lemon and I understand your dissatisfaction with the uneven lines, but I think your disbelief in Spyderco releasing these is a bit out of proportion. I haven't noticed anyone else mention there being such a problem with their Endura and if they had such a problem, they probably returned it for an exchange until they were happy with their knife. This is the first time this steel has been produced like this in this quantity from Spyderco and in general to the best of my knowledge, so I'm sure not everyone who had their hands on the production was expertly skilled in the cladding of these particular steels. You have to remember there are 1200 knives in this particular format and some faults will undoubtedly slip through unnoticed. I doubt there are 1200 hands (or eyes) in the process of these coming to fruition, so I think there would be a touch more understanding than just flat out bashing at this point. Also, at this price point, coming in at only a $10 increase to the base VG-10 model and still under $90, I don't think this is ENTIRELY unreasonable to have a mistake pop up.

This is your second thread regarding this issue, and I agree with Spydergirl; why didn't/don't you exchange the knife before you actually can't and let someone sort out these issues who actually can, instead of putting Spyderco down for their alleged wrongdoing? If you bought the knife from Spyderco directly, I'd expect they can and will do more to get you the knife you want, but if you bought it from a secondary vendor, I'd advise trying to work it out with them first. I'm sure with the slew of counterfeits and fakes, Spyderco wants to be sure of the issue to get an idea hands on before they can do anything.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

I guess I’m just happy to be able to own one. Thanks for all you do, Spyderco.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Agree with the others, venting here doesn't solve the issue that you have.

Try putting all your communication efforts into the vendor and or Spyderco.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

On one hand it won't make a bit of difference in use, other than being far more corrosion resistant on that side, but on the other hand this sort of inconsistency bothers me on a very deep level so I just flat out don't buy laminate blades.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Trackstar555

Post by Trackstar555 »

500Nitro wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:45 pm
Agree with the others, venting here doesn't solve the issue that you have.

Try putting all your communication efforts into the vendor and or Spyderco.
I disagree with you. Talking to the vendor (knife center) won’t work because they are sold out.

I called Spyderco customer service before posting here as I stated in my original post above...I didn’t get the impression they cared much or that they were concerned about an issue. I normally have excellent service and while the lady was very polite. She didn’t seem like she had much information on the issue and just said she let thr R&D team aware of my call. Which means nothing will be done. She didn’t take my name or number to call me back or have an R&D person call me back. It was easily understood I wasted my time calling.

So I post here to talk about my experience like others do. Some are talking about edge retention, others talk about different things. I’m just sharing my experience. And I wonder if anyone else is having issues or if I am an unlucky one.

So I don’t see with all due respect how posting here is out of line.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Trackstar555 wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:36 pm

Talking to the vendor (knife center) won't work because they are sold out.
I know you are disappointed. It appears from your posts you have not contacted your vendor. Did you send it in to Spyderco? Those seem like two reasonable options.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation