Very DISAPPOINTED w/ laminated steel sprint runs

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderScout

Re: Very DISAPPOINTED w/ laminated steel sprint runs

Post by SpyderScout »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:38 pm
SpyderScout wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:35 am
General observation: Wanting ruler straight lamination lines is an odd thing to wish for.
Sort of defeats some of the purpose.
Part of owning a laminated knife is the flowing line and the different steels 'crowding' each other.
I bought the V-Tuko2 expecting the flow of the lines and like the lamination line in other knives as well as in this latest fixed blade arrival;
Forge wielded knives will have a "wavy" line from the hammer blows.
Pre laminated steel from the factory will have a straight line.
Pre laminated steels can be hand forged and get a wavy a line too
Thx, Im aware of the difference between my hand forged knives and my laminatef knives.

None of my laminated knives have perfectly straight lamination lines.

As with hand forged knives, its part of the charm.

In regards to hand forged knives, a multitude of smiths actively seek to achieve uneven lines - maybe even crazy jumbled zig-zag lines between the steels - as that is what many customers want.
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

anycal wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:25 pm
SpyderScout wrote: General observation: Wanting ruler straight lamination lines is an odd thing to wish for.
Sort of defeats some of the purpose.
Part of owning a laminated knife is the flowing line and the different steels 'crowding' each other.
I bought the V-Tuko2 expecting the flow of the lines and like the lamination line in other knives as well as in this latest fixed blade arrival;
That is not what this is about. Nobody is expecting straight lamination lines. We are talking about one side being at a normal height from the edge (~4mm), while the other side is right on top of the edge (~1mm or touching)
Correction, that is what some are talking about. Besides, in regards to the OPs issue, until I hear otherwise from Spyderco, it looks more like a cosmetic issue than a functional issue.

As for the OP making first one thread complaining about the issue and then this thread, when the first didnt get many responses, it sounds like he is on a bit of a mission.
If you dont like the knife, then return it for a refund; its not rocket science.

As for some if the posts: I honestly dont know what people expect; some have complained about their laminated knives getting scratched when they use them.

The knives which 'VashHash' posted relatively early in the thread and which initially annoyed him, I think just fine.

Nonr of my Fällknives knives have had even lamination lines and I certainly dont expect them to.

Yes, some lamination lines can be very uneven but again, unless this is a functional issue, it should not be a big deal.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

It's going to be interesting to see how the dead horse holds up as the other knives in the series are released.
Knife Knut

Post by Knife Knut »

500Nitro wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:53 pm
awa54 wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:36 pm
What does one *do* with a carp that big???

...or any carp for that matter.
People use them here in Aus as Shotgun target practice when they "wallow" in the warm shallow water.
And then leave them on the bank/waters edge for the herons, hawks, eagles to eat.
I hope they are using steel or some other non toxic shot.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

shunsui wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:42 am
It's going to be interesting to see how the dead horse holds up as the other knives in the series are released.
I doubt it will be an issue going forward because I suspect Spyderco is on top of things.

As for beating a dead horse, it takes more than one person to have a conversation. If people would like the conversation to stop, the quickest way is to stop participating in it.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

How many people even want laminated blades?

Honest question.

They add extreme difficulty to manufacturing and QC no doubt. Is it worth it?
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
FK

Post by FK »

This is not an issue for me,, I have Spyderco laminated blades in Super Blue, HAP-40 and V-Toku2,,, total of approx. 25 knives.
All were not perfectly symmetrical left to right side but very close,,, one Stretch in HAP-40 is a little wonky,,,,nothing like the above photos.
The QC is fine, these are knives that are made to be used and sell for under $100, not custom works of art.
I am very happy to have the opportunity to purchase working knives with these special alloy steels that are made for the Japanese market that produces chef/kitchen knives at a much higher retail price level.

If unhappy send it back to Spyderco or the original dealer.

Regards,
FK

Member since Feb 17, 2001
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Pelagic wrote: How many people even want laminated blades?

Honest question.

I really like the look of lam lines. especially after the patina starts and you get that nice two tone look. I hate the scratches on the cladding....

Im exited that the rex 45 will be unclad. And if I had a choice between clad or unclad on Vtoku, I think I'd pick clad....

That's a hard question. I like variety. I want some of each, clad and unclad. If you held my feet to the fire I guess I'd say I prefer unclad.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I like the laminated carbon steel knives. It is very traditional in Japanese kitchen knives and what we are getting are basically modern folders with Japanese kitchen knife steels so for me it makes perfect sense and seems very fitting.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Pelagic wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:20 pm

Honest question.

I prefer unlaminated and have sold all of my laminated Spydies. I will buy the solid Superblue Caly Jr, and I would love to see solid Hap40 be used in the future.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Lordwilson86

Post by Lordwilson86 »

I don't worry about that because I put my own edge bevels on it but for you only you can say if you are being too picky. You are the one that has to be happy with that knife. - The Mastiff

This what i meant:Image

I realized that I was kinda making a big deal about it(its not that noticeable) . Ultimately I'm very happy with the knife.
mattman

Post by mattman »

Pelagic wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:20 pm

Honest question.

I believe it's a requirement of the maker...

Iirc, they blank via stamping, so they need the softer cladding to allow them to blank the knives.

The maker of the Caly series uses laser or water jet for blanking, so it's not a requirement for them...

(I'm recalling this from a conversation from when the super blue stuff was coming out, so it's a bit fuzzy...)
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

mattman wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:25 pm

Care to expand on the "requirement" bit ?
Don't quite understand it.

Doesn't Spyderco dictate what they want ?
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
mattman

Post by mattman »

500Nitro wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:37 pm
mattman wrote:

They can't stamp out the blanks of these steels unless they're laminated with a softer cladding, so we likely won't get unlaminated versions of these knives till they upgrade to a laser or water-jet. (Is how I understand the issue)

Like I said, was from years ago, when super-blue Delica family was coming out, and people were asking why it wasn't available solid, like the two Calys that preceded them.
Last edited by mattman on Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Got it, thanks.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I realized that I was kinda making a big deal about it(its not that noticeable) . Ultimately I'm very happy with the knife.
It looks like mine. I checked my VG10 Endura and that is what it looks like as well. I'd be happy with that one too. As long as they perform at the edge and these are. The FRN line of Enduras, Delicas, Stretch, etc. is a workhorse line not a showhorse line anyways. I don't consider these expensive knives but that is just me. Many of us here ask Spyderco to do exactly that. Make them as inexpensively as possible without compromising safety and cutting performance. Threads like these to me mean cost increases from buyers demanding more of a knife than the intended purpose on that line up. They make plenty of very precisely made knives of the best quality and materials and I avoid them too. :)

joe
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Fixall, Hangfire, Lord Wilson, Supacede,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

mattman wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:44 pm
500Nitro wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:37 pm
mattman wrote:

They can't stamp out the blanks of these steels unless they're laminated with a softer cladding, so we likely won't get unlaminated versions of these knives till they upgrade to a laser or water-jet. (Is how I understand the issue)

Spyderco should send the steel to us. :p Here at work we do laser cutting all day long. We've cut out a lot of knives for custom makers. One time we cut up a whole sheet of CPM 154 for a local custom knife maker.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:59 am
shunsui wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:42 am
I doubt it will be an issue going forward because I suspect Spyderco is on top of things.
Optimistic, but I'd bet on shredded beef. I'd imagine the steel all came from the same place at the same time.

I'm fine with my tragically flawed Endura so if the rest are uneven I don't care.

My heart goes out to the flippers though who use these sprint runs to fund their custom knives.
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:59 am
As for beating a dead horse, it takes more than one person to have a conversation. If people would like the conversation to stop, the quickest way is to stop participating in it.
You can rest assured I'm going to follow this delightful conversation.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

shunsui wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:50 pm
Optimistic, but I'd bet on shredded beef. I'd imagine the steel all came from the same place at the same time.

I'm fine with my tragically flawed Endura so if the rest are uneven I don't care.
You may be right. If they make a Whanrcliffe Vtoku though I'll pick one up regardless of cosmetics :D With one of those, the hap 40, and a wharnclife salt I'll have myself a nice wharn-trio.