Tip-down (heresy? maybe not...)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
olywa

Tip-down (heresy? maybe not...)

Post by olywa »

I'm a devout proponent of tip-up carry, and have always opted for that configuration. I even got rid of some knives because tip-up wasn't an option. But recently I took a hard look at my Paramilitary 2 and Para 3 because I just couldn't get comfortable with how they felt in-hand and also how they fit in-pocket. I love the action on these models but that $%#× lanyard hole is a royal pain for me and totally fubars up the ergos for tip-up carry and use, even with an after-market deep-carry clip.

I know that some folks just remove the clip, but I'm pretty committed to their use. So I decided to swap my deep-carry clips to tip-down and was completely blown away at how much better they feel in-hand. The clip now improves the ergos rather than creating a hot spot. As an added plus, they both hang in my pocket much better as well. They tuck in nicely much further to the rear of my front pocket, and they hang straighter. Since my knives spend most of their time being carried, rather than used, this is a plus.

Granted, they are a little slower to deploy, and my muscle memory is still getting used to this change. But these are acceptable trade-offs for me. It's also worth noting that both of my after-market clips are Lynch short models, and I believe that works better than a long one. My index finger locks right into the dip in the clip in a way that wouldn't be possible with a longer clip. I'm also looking at the 2-hole MXG deep-carry short clips because I believe that they will be an even better fit.

I know that folks feel pretty strongly about clip configuration, but this just worked out pretty well for me in this case. It also reminded me to not be so rigid in my thinking. I still prefer tip-up in almost every instance, but being a little more flexible has made these knives much more enjoyable to use and carry for me.
Studey

Re: Tip-down (heresy? maybe not...)

Post by Studey »

Try the PM2 clip from Ripps Garage Tech. It totally changes the ergos on the PM2. It’s very, very low profile, so it makes the clip virtually disappear in your hand.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I maintain that tip down allows for much faster deployment if you spydie flick to open.

Switched my pm2 back to tip down after 1 day of tip up.

As you mentioned, the ergos are better as well.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I prefer tip-down carry as well.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
sal

Post by sal »

Pelagic wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:59 am
I maintain that tip down allows for much faster deployment if you spydie flick to open.
I agree on the deployment.

sal
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

With a small knife it seems that speed is similar either way, with a large knife and normal clothing tip down will always be faster for standard deployment. But there are other factors that some people like- the perception of increased safety, how the clip interacts with their palms during use, use of lanyards or wave openers, etc. Plus not everybody carries right front pocket.

AFAIK the first modern folders with clips were tip down, so any other carry method could be viewed as heresy. Spyderco started the tip up movement when they started molding the clips on the FRN handles- can put a molded clip on top of a pivot bolt.

There are plenty of knives made either way, and a good number that the owner can change around themselves, so no need to really argue about it.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

bdblue wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:29 pm
With a small knife it seems that speed is similar either way, with a large knife and normal clothing tip down will always be faster for standard deployment. But there are other factors that some people like- the perception of increased safety, how the clip interacts with their palms during use, use of lanyards or wave openers, etc. Plus not everybody carries right front pocket.

AFAIK the first modern folders with clips were tip down, so any other carry method could be viewed as heresy. Spyderco started the tip up movement when they started molding the clips on the FRN handles- can put a molded clip on top of a pivot bolt.

There are plenty of knives made either way, and a good number that the owner can change around themselves, so no need to really argue about it.
I don't think anyone is really arguing. It's all personal preference.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Tip down can be faster to deploy, and I think it is safer, as well. Plus, it removes the clip from a position that eats up my finger when using the knife. The larger the knife, the better tip down is.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Either up or down are fast enough to deploy. By the time my hand is near the thing that needs cutting th blade is locked open.

I generally prefer tip up and if I’m honest tip up is faster and more straight forward for me. On big knives I tend to opt for tip down though, just feels right.

Sometimes the clip feels better in one position than another (for me he Stretch is way better in hand tip down).
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

One day when I was sitting in the car waiting for my wife in the store, I pulled out my PM3 M390 from a sitting position. Don't know what happened? -but it opened up on me and slit my jeans inside out like nothing. I could just imagine how that might have gone tip down?
Think I am good with tip up, and slower deployment.
C
Last edited by Calicoast on Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

The only advantage I can see in tip up is a slightly faster deployment to the locked blade position. Since I am not depending on a fast draw to slice open that package, envelope or chicken, I either go to tip down and on left side when open ( I use my right hand) because it gets in the way less in that position. I figure I would rather have a more comfortable handle than lightening fast deployment. If that doesn’t work well, I just take the clip off, attach a short fob and carry it in my pocket.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:31 pm
The only advantage I can see in tip up is a slightly faster deployment to the locked blade position. Since I am not depending on a fast draw to slice open that package, envelope or chicken, I either go to tip down and on left side when open ( I use my right hand) because it gets in the way less in that position. I figure I would rather have a more comfortable handle than lightening fast deployment. If that doesn’t work well, I just take the clip off, attach a short fob and carry it in my pocket.
Absolutely this. Comfort in hand first.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

I've never given it much thought because I've only ever had an Endura 1 with plastic clip so tip up is only way if I use the clip. But I tend not to.
Since I purchased an Endura ? With metal clip and seeing this thread, I've looked at it. In time I will change the clip around and physically try it.

However, my hand automatically puts my knife into position and I find I open it without thinking. Which is how it should be. Same with guns, it should be instinctive and all done with muscle memory.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Pelagic wrote:

Maybe it's my big hands but I've timed myself deploying my Police 3 and Szabo folders tip up and tip down, no difference in speed. If you have to readjust after drawing a tip up folder I could see how this would be the case.
:unicorn
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:52 am
Pelagic wrote:

Maybe it's my big hands but I've timed myself deploying my Police 3 and Szabo folders tip up and tip down, no difference in speed. If you have to readjust after drawing a tip up folder I could see how this would be the case.
Yeah... with tip up I have to readjust slightly. With tip down, I'm already pinching the upper part of the knife (near the pivot) as soon as I pull it out so I'm already ready to flick.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Knife Knut

Post by Knife Knut »

In my experience, tip down works for any length of blade, from Cricket to Military and larger. Tip down does not.

I came to this conclusion early on and have stuck to it since, as I don't want to be screwing with my muscle memory by switching between the two.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:52 am
Hand size, blade length and type of clothing all figure into it. I have somewhat large hands, carry blades in the 3.5" to 4" range, and wear tight jeans. With a Manix 2 when I pull it out my thumb is a long way from the thumb hole. I almost need 2 hands to readjust the knife, or I have to toss the knife and catch it in the right position. I've seen people wearing loose clothing that could get their hand farther into their pocket to grab the knife, one person was demonstrating this while wearing pajamas. Also I've noticed that even when wearing tight jeans I can carry a knife of less than 3" length and when I pull it out tip up I can open it without readjustment.
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Chiming in for tip-down preference as well, due to most models being comfier in-hand in use. Deployment has never been an issue personally for any model within any clip-carry-option. I've also recently changed my carry to back-pocket only, since jeans don't seem to hold the load that cargos can, some rearrangement to the pocket load was in order preventing front pocket carry altogether :o. I will comment that the Delica 4 feels best in-hand when it's for left-side carry, being right-handed.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

bdblue wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:47 pm
I have somewhat ... tight jeans. Also I've noticed that even when wearing tight jeans I can carry a knife ...
bd, you wouldn’t be tricking us now? :p

What pocket do you carry the knife in? :confused:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Ha ha ha! :D

Words fail me. :D
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"