Wrong clip on delica?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
silvershade255

Wrong clip on delica?

Post by silvershade255 »

Has anyone else received a delica recently without the lanyard/pivot hole in the pocket clip? Specifically the hap40 wharnecliffe I and a few others I've seen have solid clips, like the pm2/3.

I realize it's an incredibly minor thing, just kind of curious if there was a mix up or what?
"Seven for One"
Spydersense

Re: Wrong clip on delica?

Post by Spydersense »

My HAP 40 Wharnie has a solid clip as well. I hadn't noticed. It does seem a little odd.
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Unless you plan on carrying tip down, or using the lanyard hole, this could be a plus as the hole creates a weak point in the clip.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
fixall

Post by fixall »

Yea... Noticed that.

I purchased a HAP40 Delica Wharncliffe from both BladeHQ and KnifeCenter. The knife from KnifeCenter didn't have a hole cut out for the pivot screw (no tip down carry without it) while the one from BladeHQ did.

koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

On blade forums a guy got one from BHQ and one from Knifecenter, one had a hole, one did not

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/del ... t-18187307
exnmYdv.jpg
Last edited by koenigsegg on Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think it looks cleaner without the hole but I guess if you want to use a lanyard it does need changed. I'm not much of a lanyard user so I would probably leave it alone. As Paul pointed out the ones without holes are a bit less likely to break if bent too far.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SC_PATRIOT

Post by SC_PATRIOT »

Mine had the solid clip like a PM2 does. Funny my Pakkawood had a hold in it and it doesn't have a lanyard! Doesn't bother me hence I'm buying for the steel.
fixall

Post by fixall »

koenigsegg wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:22 am
On blade forums a guy got one from BHQ and one from Knifecenter, one had a hole, one did not

exnmYdv.jpg
Yea, that was me. Thanks for posting the picture! I tried to post it here yesterday but the post is still awaiting a moderator to approve it. :/
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

IF I can acquire one, I hope it has the hole. Not right on a knife with a lanyard hole (which they all should have).
- best wishes, Jazz.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Jazz wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:49 am
....Not right on a knife with a lanyard hole (which they all should have).
Agreed! I don't care of the hole weakens the clip at that point. If the clip should have the hole that's the one I want.

I don't recall if mine has the hole or not. I'm away from mine for awhile. So I guess I'll find out when I get back.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

fixall wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:36 pm
koenigsegg wrote:

exnmYdv.jpg
Yea, that was me. Thanks for posting the picture! I tried to post it here yesterday but the post is still awaiting a moderator to approve it. :/
Haha my bad didn't mean to steal your post
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Termite Toothpick

Post by Termite Toothpick »

I noticed that on a few of the places that had them up for preorder...kinda liked the idea of it not having a lanyard hole, as I don't use it.

And, I got one without! But I may be looking to put a deep carry Lynch clip on it any way because I am really digging this knife and have been carrying it a lot lately.
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I had a similar thing happen with the S90v linerless smooth green G10 Native5 exclusive. Kinda hard to see on the black clip, but it is solid, no hole... Does't bother me as I don't use lanyards, but it is odd.

bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

On knives like the Native with a flush pivot this just means you cannot use the lanyard hole. On a knife like the Delica which has a pivot that stands a little proud of the scales this means you cannot mount the clip tip down.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
fixall

Post by fixall »

koenigsegg wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:05 am
fixall wrote:
koenigsegg wrote:

exnmYdv.jpg
Oh no worries! I couldn't post, so I'm glad someone was able to get the pic out there.

I don't plan on EVER selling my HAP40 Wharncliffe, I don't plan on using a lanyard, and I don't think this would be a fun knife for tip down carry... So this doesn't really affect me (and it sounds like it's not causing any one else issues either at this point). I just thought it was interesting. :)
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

fixall wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:38 pm
koenigsegg wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:05 am
fixall wrote:
koenigsegg wrote:

exnmYdv.jpg
Oh no worries! I couldn't post, so I'm glad someone was able to get the pic out there.

I don't plan on EVER selling my HAP40 Wharncliffe, I don't plan on using a lanyard, and I don't think this would be a fun knife for tip down carry... So this doesn't really affect me (and it sounds like it's not causing any one else issues either at this point). I just thought it was interesting. :)
I'm really glad you made the post it's interesting to see the variation in just one release.
Oogie

Post by Oogie »

I recently received mine from WhiteMountainKnives on ebay, and it has the hole in the clip. While the current discussion has focused on which retailer the HAP40 WC originated from, it occurred to me whether there was any way to source it back to the manufacturing dates. My knife appears to have a Dec 2017 (LQ) date. I wonder if the variations might be based on runs within the release that would be demonstrated with different manufacturing dates?
silvershade255

Post by silvershade255 »

I didn't know about the date code, always fun to learn something new. My no hole is Nov 2017 (KQ).
"Seven for One"
fixall

Post by fixall »

Oogie wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:08 pm
I recently received mine from WhiteMountainKnives on ebay, and it has the hole in the clip. While the current discussion has focused on which retailer the HAP40 WC originated from, it occurred to me whether there was any way to source it back to the manufacturing dates. My knife appears to have a Dec 2017 (LQ) date. I wonder if the variations might be based on runs within the release that would be demonstrated with different manufacturing dates?
My HAP40 with the hole in the clip is an "LQ".

Not sure about the other as I sent it back to KnifeCenter.