My First Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Draperfish

My First Spyderco

Post by Draperfish »

This is my first Spyderco, I bought it in Kittery Maine in 1991. It's been with me in the depths of the Atlantic Ocean from the Arctic Circle and Europe, to the sunny beaches of Puerto Rico and other places I can't mention. I even took it SCUBA diving a couple of times! Lock up is still solid with very little play, it's a trooper, one of the best knives I've ever owned, and I've owned a LOT of knives! A true testiment to amazing quality and design, thank you Sal.
IMG_9082.jpg
SpyderNut

Re: My First Spyderco

Post by SpyderNut »

Awesome story and cool knife! Thanks for sharing, man. Welcome to the Forum. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I always enjoy hearing about people's hard-use experience with their Spydies. Thanks for sharing! Great knife.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Termite Toothpick

Post by Termite Toothpick »

That little guy has fared well, and seen a lot!
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Draperfish,

Welcome to our forum and thanx for sharing your experience. That's a very old "Executive" model.

Back then, When Gail and I insisted on enduring quality, most of our contemporary's thought we were nuts. Your knife is about 35 years old and still working. One person in the knife industry said, "You make your knives too good". Better to lower the quality and the price".

Nuff said.

sal
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

sal wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:38 am
Hi Draperfish,

Welcome to our forum and thanx for sharing your experience. That's a very old "Executive" model.

Back then, When Gail and I insisted on enduring quality, most of our contemporary's thought we were nuts. Your knife is about 35 years old and still working. One person in the knife industry said, "You make your knives too good". Better to lower the quality and the price".

Nuff said.

sal
there is no question about your quality and the effort and confidence you put behind each and every one of your products Sal, the question is: is that person still in the knife industry? :D
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

sal wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:38 am

Nuff said.

sal
There it is. The reason all of us here on the forum and Spyderco as an organization are here today.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Draperfish

Post by Draperfish »

I've always thought and still tell everyone that asks me about which knife to get (everyone knows I'm a "knife" guy) that Spyderco is the best value for the money in my opinion. Great quality and materials at reasonable prices. My flat ground Spyderco's cut a lot better than any of my mid-techs that cost twice as much.