Pacific Salt Serrated Passaround?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
40mm

Pacific Salt Serrated Passaround?

Post by 40mm »

Has a Pac Salt pass around every been done? It's the one knife that I'm dying to try but I have this gut feeling it will be too big for me. I love both the Dragonfly and Salt 1 in their serrated forms, and the Pac Salt threads have always had me curious but the size has always kept me from pulling the trigger. Anyone else have an interest in something like this?
vivi

Re: Pacific Salt Serrated Passaround?

Post by vivi »

They carry smaller than you'd think. I have some friends with smaller hands that like knives along the lines of Caly Jr, Delica etc., and they both carry and use their pacific salts.
:unicorn
40mm

Post by 40mm »

UGH! I'm leaning towards biting the bullet and just getting one. I know I can sell it if it doesn't work out. Seems that the serrated get most of the love, but is anyone a fan of the plain edge? SE or PE, either way I'd ordered the black coated blade
Vivi wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:34 am
They carry smaller than you'd think. I have some friends with smaller hands that like knives along the lines of Caly Jr, Delica etc., and they both carry and use their pacific salts.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

40mm wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:36 am
UGH! I'm leaning towards biting the bullet and just getting one. I know I can sell it if it doesn't work out. Seems that the serrated get most of the love, but is anyone a fan of the plain edge? SE or PE, either way I'd ordered the black coated blade
Do it! The current $15 Ebay coupon should have you making a decision before 7pm PT tonight ;)

40mm

Post by 40mm »

I hate you abbazabba......I hate you.
abbazaba wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:48 am
40mm wrote:
Do it! The current $15 Ebay coupon should have you making a decision before 7pm PT tonight ;)

Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

abbazaba wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:48 am
40mm wrote:

Bite the bullet. Minus the $15, you got yourself a great knife.
C
40mm

Post by 40mm »

The bullet......has been bitten my friends. That really is a crazy good deal. Thanks for the heads up. Went serrated. Abbazabba your knife looks MEAN!
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

It is mean. And you're welcome, I hate you too :cool:
40mm

Post by 40mm »

LOL
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

Fyi,
It likes to be used hard. You will love it. Make sure you give us a report.
:)
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

40mm wrote:
40mm

I'd almost certainly buy it if you don't like it. With the $15 off, MUST be fully SE.

(As long as you can accept PayPal with me being in Australia - but I'd get you to send it to MN)
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Nate

Post by Nate »

In for the passaround, thx! :D
:spyder:
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I love the PE black blade Pac Salt. I also will definitely get a SE someday soon. It has been hard waiting, and the Spyderhawk Salt has made my decision tougher. One of the two is next on my list.
vivi

Post by vivi »

40mm wrote:
Vivi wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:34 am
I like the PE and carry it often. SE does hold an edge better but for some things I prefer PE. For most things either edge type works fine. PE still sharpens up like a dream and gets through a days work for me without issue.

To sharpen the SE Pacific Salt, once it needs it, try the 15 degree slot on your sharpmaker. That's the angle mine is ground at.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I have the old Sharpmaker, with only one angle setting. It still works though, but I'm sure the 15 degree angle would be better.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

One thing the SE PAC Salt sucks at

Sitting in a drawer
vivi

Post by vivi »

cabfrank wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:42 pm
I have the old Sharpmaker, with only one angle setting. It still works though, but I'm sure the 15 degree angle would be better.
It will still cut very well using the 20 degree setting. The edge on SE knives is much thinner than comparable PE models, so no worries.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Thanks, Vivi.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I only ever use the 40 degree setting on serrations.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
40mm

Post by 40mm »

I'll keep you in mind brother. I'll be comparing it directly with an identical black coated, serrated Salt 1. I'll post up impressions in a few days.
500Nitro wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:13 pm
40mm wrote:
40mm

I'd almost certainly buy it if you don't like it. With the $15 off, MUST be fully SE.

(As long as you can accept PayPal with me being in Australia - but I'd get you to send it to MN)