Change in UK Knife Buying

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Mastiff

Re: Change in UK Knife Buying

Post by The Mastiff »

A significant part of us people aren't using logic and recognize only the emotion of that moment. Even science has given way to feelings . When it comes to education we for sure can't agree on what we want to teach the young. Many see it as a path to indoctrinate the young to their way of thinking. This has become a one side will win and one lose proposition from my perspective.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

This bill isn't about making the UK safer....the statistics show most stabbings are with kitchen knives, which are easily bought from high street stores (or stolen from the same or a kitchen drawer)

This is about being seen to do something- with no real political downside but the solid tabloid news positive upside.

It also means my knife collecting is at an end. :(
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Studey

Post by Studey »

tvenuto wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:39 pm
The world is a dangerous place. It’s the way it was and the way it will be. That way, and not some other way.

Source? I feel like I should recognize that quote, like it’s just at the edge of my mind.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Studey wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:15 am
tvenuto wrote:
The world is a dangerous place. It’s the way it was and the way it will be. That way, and not some other way.

Source? I feel like I should recognize that quote, like it’s just at the edge of my mind.

Brilliant comment. Mind if I throw it in my tag line?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

demoncase wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:19 am

Im really really sorry to hear this. I feel for you. I know that here in Canada we are experiencing a similar problem. It feels like the end but I’ve just had to adapt. Hopefully things will be made right again someday.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
sal

Post by sal »

tvenuto wrote:
Continual refinement is our evolutionary obligation to humankind.

sal
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Studey wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:15 am
I stole the verbage of the last two sentences from Cormac McCarthy in his book Blood Meridian.
Cormac Mccarthy wrote:It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner. That is the way it was and will be. That way and not some other way.
sal wrote: Continual refinement is our evolutionary obligation to humankind.

sal
Absolutely agree. I certainly didn't mean to imply that the facts of the matter absolve us from doing the best we can to safeguard against unnecessary dangers. However, and I'm sure you agree, "the best we can" must err on the side of personal freedom and responsibility. Otherwise I'm afraid that we're headed for our own individual matrix-style goo-pods. And I'm sure EVERYONE here can agree that the impetus behind these kinds of laws is far less about making the world safer and far more about making a splash for the people that get them passed.
sal

Post by sal »

Agree.

sal
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I started to say that humans are the only animals on the earth that practice warfare; however, I recall that chimpanzees will form raiding parties to find, capture, kill and sometimes eat other chips from other groups. This is important because we share about 97% of the chimpanzees genetic make up. But with that other 3% I think it’s incumbent upon us to reduce conflict and war as much as possible realizing that it’s a reduction not an elimination. War, chaos, and conflict are always on the table.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

What I wonder about is why we are seeing more disproportionate & extreme violence (in certain areas and demographics).

We are not talking desperate poverty or need, a reaction to oppression, or a fight for freedom, just a sub-culture shift to intolerance and a desire to maim and/or kill in altercations that a few years ago would probably have just resulted in a few punches.
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

demoncase wrote:

Taking a break might do you good, no offense intended...
I mean I'd be happy if that happens to me :D

ChrisinHove wrote: What I wonder about is why we are seeing more disproportionate & extreme violence (in certain areas and demographics).

We are not talking desperate poverty or need, a reaction to oppression, or a fight for freedom, just a sub-culture shift to intolerance and a desire to maim and/or kill in altercations that a few years ago would probably have just resulted in a few punches.

Most of the victims (and the perpetrators) belong to a certain ethnic group
It doesn't have to sound racist but this is what it is...

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/london-murd ... this-year/

Now the British authorities are punishing all ethnic groups including the native British :D for knife murders of immigrants descendants belonging to a specific ethnic group

Punishment that will not solve anything(like those guys were buying knives online :D ), knives will still be available

If not, a piece of metal that can be sharpened prison style will still be available

Meanwhile Africans are flooding into Europe and EU is on the brink of collapse due to that
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

MichaelScott wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:11 am
I believe the goal there is to enact enough legislation so that no one will ever be injured or killed by anyone with any thing, ever and they will all live happily ever after.

Fear leads to suffering.
I see what you mean. Regardless of the nefarious motives, that is the motive for some, and, the claimed ideal they use to try and ban these things. But the problem, Michael my friend, is that, short of Heaven and sinless people who would never dream of assaulting others, you and I know the sad reality is, on this Earth this will not be achieved. And even if some society attempted to apply draconian measures through technology and laws to do it, it will not work. They need to go after specific abusers of tools and weapons and not the weapons and tools themselves.
SpyderEdgeForever

What would they do if biotechnology reached the point to where everyone could have Endura blades growing out of their fingertips like kitty cats have? (Actually cat's claws are more akin to miniature Tasman Salts :)
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Gsg9 wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:25 am
demoncase wrote:
Taking a break might do you good, no offense intended...
I mean I'd be happy if that happens to me :D
Having seen this coming about 6 months ago, I promptly sold 130 of my collection, keeping only those real users, UK legal slipjoints or sentimental value pieces that I can live with essentially having zero ability to replace.

I did the traditional Japanese thing: Hold something in your hand and if it doesn't bring you joy then get rid of it.

So my knife collecting is at an end- and I'll invest my time elsewhere from now on.
Half the joy was the chasing down old Spydies or watching carefully for the sexy sprints to drop....Without that chase to enthuse me, the joy is absent

It's not all bad- having parted with some rare pieces, my savings account is rather fatter than it has been for....well, ever :)
I timed it correctly to, as second hand values in the UK appear to rather depressed right now- Always sell on the rise, not at the peak- because you never can be quite sure when the crash is coming ;)
Last edited by demoncase on Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

SpyderEdgeForever

demoncase, sal, Michael, and others here and also critter if you can read this thread: Here is a question. Because human beings tend to be inherently greedy, could the following be a useful argument to use in favor of we knife people around the world, in response to these bans, or, would it fall on deaf ears or not have much of an emphasis in their eyes? Here is what can be said to them: "By banning the production and sale of these and other knives, you are negatively impacting a potentially lucrative and large market, that you can all benefit from economically. If you instead craft laws that are pro knife and encourage the production, sale, manufacturing, and distribution of knives, cutting tools, and edged weapons, you become richer and more popular in the eyes of the people across the board: 1 You will get credit for creating and helping to expand the job market in these areas and 2 You can personally benefit well by making money off the knives and their sales and the advertising that goes along with it.

In short, if these politicians and other law makers could someone benefit from the production and sale of knives, would that cause them to reverse these knife bans in the UK and USA, Canada, and other places, or, would even appealing to their personal self-interest for greed and fame not work out in favor of the pro knife people?
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:44 am
demoncase, sal, Michael, and others here and also critter if you can read this thread: Here is a question. Because human beings tend to be inherently greedy, could the following be a useful argument to use in favor of we knife people around the world, in response to these bans, or, would it fall on deaf ears or not have much of an emphasis in their eyes? Here is what can be said to them: "By banning the production and sale of these and other knives, you are negatively impacting a potentially lucrative and large market, that you can all benefit from economically. If you instead craft laws that are pro knife and encourage the production, sale, manufacturing, and distribution of knives, cutting tools, and edged weapons, you become richer and more popular in the eyes of the people across the board: 1 You will get credit for creating and helping to expand the job market in these areas and 2 You can personally benefit well by making money off the knives and their sales and the advertising that goes along with it.

In short, if these politicians and other law makers could someone benefit from the production and sale of knives, would that cause them to reverse these knife bans in the UK and USA, Canada, and other places, or, would even appealing to their personal self-interest for greed and fame not work out in favor of the pro knife people?
You aren't going to get anywhere arguing for a reasonable pro-knife law-making approach in the UK.....not when the tabloids are screaming "won't somebody think of the children!?"

Likewise- Knife collecting and ownership in the UK is a niche within a niche. We are a small community with zero political throw-weight.

koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Nothing more polarized than the UK weapons laws vs US, esp the thinking and reasons behind the laws, such as lobbies vs actual human emotion lol
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
sal

Post by sal »

Our US laws are also funny. If your clip is showing in New York, it is intimidating and you can be arrested. If your clip is NOT showing in Oregon, it is a concealed weapon and you can be arrested. :rolleyes:

Two groups are getting autos legalized in many states, but the Fed still says they're illegal. :rolleyes:

sal
sal

Post by sal »

I'm not a big Government guy in general, but today's Governments are confused. They think that scruples is Russian money and morals are a big painting on a wall. :)

sal
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

sal wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:42 pm
I'm not a big Government guy in general, but today's Governments are confused. They think that scruples is Russian money and morals are a big painting on a wall. :)

sal
Lol! :D
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"