Greetings & My First Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Accutron

Greetings & My First Spyderco

Post by Accutron »

Hello, first post here. Sometime around last Christmas, I accidentally stumbled into the world of enthusiast-grade knives and my bank account has yet to recover. I've bought a number of production knives and mid-techs from other manufacturers, up to around the $450 price range. I initially avoided Spyderco because of the characteristic blade profile. The hole never bothered me, but there's something about the hump that just rubs my sense of aesthetics the wrong way.

Well, I've been wanting to try S110V, and Spyderco is obviously the easiest way to get S110V. I spent the past month trying to decide which blurple model to buy, but couldn't quite pull the trigger. Last week my wife asked me what I wanted for Father's Day. I blurted out "a Spyderco Native 5 with S110V and G-10 scales!" She just said "OK." It arrived yesterday from BHQ, and I finally "get" why so many people love Spyderco. The action is extremely solid, the lockup is perfect, there's no wiggle whatsoever despite it being a lockback, and the blade symmetry is the best I've seen so far. Everything is fitted properly and the jimping actually works. It has quickly become my favorite folding knife, above and beyond some much more expensive models I've purchased.

I chose the Native over the PM2 or Manix for a couple reasons. First, I like the humpless drop point and the choil, which are very similar to my Bradford Guardian4. I'm not as averse to the Spyderco hump as I was six months ago, but I haven't quite cast my aesthetic prejudices aside entirely. Second, I heard that the G-10 models are all going linerless, and I was hoping to get one with liners before the older stock ran out. Lucky for me, BHQ is still selling the S110V model with liners. I'm sure the linerless design is a quality product, but I will always compulsively select the "more metal" option, and carry weight is not a major concern for me.

Now I'm trying to convince my oldest son of the merits of Spyderco before his next birthday. He recently bought himself a Kershaw Link, and he constantly lusts after my similarly shaped ZT 0801. I plan on getting him a PM3 for his 16th birthday, if I can convince him in the next few months that flippers on bearings aren't the only kind of folding knife.

And now for some mediocre photos of a knife everybody's seen a million times already...

Last edited by Accutron on Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
MichaelScott

Re: Greetings & My First Spyderco

Post by MichaelScott »

Accutron, welcome to the forum. I’m sure you’ll find a lot of Spyderco info here and meet some extremely nice and knowledgeable folks. And, be warned that we are all enablers so expect your Spyderco collection to grow.

That’s a beautiful knife you have and those are excellent photos. Thanks for posting those. I look forward to more of your posts.

Regards,

Michael
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
attila

Post by attila »

Accutron wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:56 pm
Hello, first post here.

Well, I've been wanting to try S110V, and Spyderco is obviously the easiest way to get S110V.
I chose the Native over the PM2 or Manix for a couple reasons. First, I like the humpless drop point and the choil, which are very similar to my Bradford Guardian4. I'm not as averse to the Spyderco hump as I was six months ago, but I haven't quite cast my aesthetic prejudices aside entirely. Second, I heard that the G-10 models are all going linerless, and I was hoping to get one with liners before the older stock ran out. Lucky for me, BHQ is still selling the S110V model with liners. I'm sure the linerless design is a quality product, but I will always compulsively select the "more metal" option, and carry weight is not a major concern for me.

Now I'm trying to convince my oldest son of the merits of Spyderco before his next birthday. He recently bought himself a Kershaw Link, and he constantly lusts after my similarly shaped ZT 0801. I plan on getting him a PM3 for his 16th birthday, if I can convince him in the next few months that flippers on bearings aren't the only kind of folding knife.

And now for some mediocre photos of a knife everybody's seen a million times already...

Welcome to the forum!

Good news! We've been told that the blurple Native is the only G10 variety not going linerless in the foreseeable future.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Accutron,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Welcome to the forum Accutron! It's nice to have you here.

The classic Spyderco thumb ramp used to bother me aesthetically as well, and even though I don't mind them anymore, I still like the ramp-less designs. (I've got a Native in Maxamet.)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Welcome! The native 5 is a great knife!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Welcome.

I saw a s110v pm2 virtually new go for $100 the other day on the bay. There are deals to be had!

I probably would pick one up, but I'll hold out for sprints. Unfortunately it took me a long time to warm up to blurple scales. I didn't like them, started really liking it, and now I'm not really a fan anymore. The blade from my s110v military now resides within my dark green scales from the 204p model (chipped the 204p blade doing some mildly abusive testing).
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

Thanks for the warm welcome everybody.

It took me a while to get used to the blurple scales, but staring at online photos for a few weeks has permanently associated the color with S110V in my mind. I considered getting some aftermarket scales or doing a scale swap, but after seeing the knife in person and handling it, I think I'll probably leave it alone. At least it will be easy to find if I drop it in the woods!
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Welcome.

Your poor wallet. Even the oddball spydercos make a lot of sense once you get them in hand.
I would suggest a pm2 or para 3 next. Fantastic design.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Welcome aboard, Accutron. Nice to have you here. The Native 5 in S110V is an excellent choice and will serve you well. :)

Hope to see you around,

-Michael

P.S. I like your username. I am guessing you are a watch fan too?
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

SpyderNut wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:32 am
I've been using the same screen name (when it's available) since 1996. My grandfather was a watchmaker and a jewelry store owner for about 40 years. I learned how to service Accutrons when I was a teenager, and I did a lot of repair work before my eyesight became intolerant. I used to be more of a watch collector, but I've gotten away from it in recent years. The last fancy watch I bought was a Doxa SUB600 T-Graph back around 2010.

Last edited by Accutron on Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Accutron wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:43 am
SpyderNut wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:32 am
I've been using the same screen name (when it's available) since 1996. My grandfather was a watchmaker and a jewelry store owner for about 40 years. I learned how to service Accutrons when I was a teenager, and I did a lot of repair work before my eyesight became intolerant. I used to be more of a watch collector, but I've gotten away from it in recent years. The last fancy watch I bought was a Doxa SUB600 T-Graph back around 2010.

That’s a neat story. Thanks for sharing! Really like that Doxa too. I’ve been admiring their timepieces for quite some time. Maybe someday... :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Oh man, you should REALLY think about trying the PM2... it’s reputation precedes itself and is well deserved.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Accutron wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:56 pm
... I accidentally stumbled into the world of enthusiast-grade knives and my bank account has yet to recover.
One of the truest statements and warnings to anyone interested in delving into this sickness :p. Welcome aboard!
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Welcome aboard!

You certainly made a good choice for a first knife, and the fact that it was the S110V that got you to try a Spyderco seems like a good angle on things.

By all means try a PM2, or a Manix 2. These go back and forth between being my favorite knife. The Manix looks a bit odd, but once you get one in hand you realize why it is the way it is.

As for metal liners, I can understand your thinking -- but G10 is amazingly sturdy stuff and well able to hold its own without steel to help it out. The main thing steel comes in for is to provide threads to hold clips and such. I'll put my linerlock Backlock Manix up against the standard Manix 2 with steel liners any time. Both are very stout knives.

As for the "bump" and aesthetics, I can understand you also. I was thinking about the original Gayle Bradley and was keen to get one because at the time it was one of the few Spydercos with M4 steel. But that big bump to accomodate the hole just bugged me. Anyhow, I bought the knife anyway in part because it was such an ugly duckling and have no regrets. The fit and finish are over the top, and the ergonomics suit me fine.

The Native does have nice sleek lines though for sure.
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

Well, last night I had a dream that I found a digi camo PM2 (non DLC blade) a garage sale with one missing scale, probably because I watched a PM2 disassembly video before I went to bed. I spent the rest of the dream trying to find a replacement scale for it. I guess I know what I'm getting next time!
benben

Post by benben »

Welcome to the forum! If you end up loving S110V, you've got to try the LW Manix 2 in that steel, I still think it's one of THE best knife deals out there!
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Or a ukpk in s110v almost bought one for under $75 yesterday on the bay.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

benben wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:48 am
Welcome to the forum! If you end up loving S110V, you've got to try the LW Manix 2 in that steel, I still think it's one of THE best knife deals out there!
I'll probably end up getting a Manix 2 at some point, but it won't be the lightweight version. I'm not a huge fan of FRN/FRCP or wire pocket clips, and I'm definitely willing to pay the extra ~$30 for the G-10. As far as the weight difference, I typically carry a Leatherman ST300 which weighs over half a pound. Compared to that, everything smaller than a large fixed blade seems lightweight.

On a completely unrelated note, I just noticed that there's preexisting forum member with a similar username to mine (Accutronman). If I had noticed that before I signed up, I probably would've picked a different name. I definitely don't want to step on anybody's toes.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

when they start appearing on your dreams you know you got the Spyderfever
:D