Blade shape conundrum - Rhino; Lil' Native; UKPK

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

Blade shape conundrum - Rhino; Lil' Native; UKPK

Post by MichaelScott »

In my slow, ongoing project to transition to small folders I have been thinking about "upgrading" from a Delica to a more modern design. The knives that have my interest are the Lil' Native, UKPK, and the Rhino. Given that they are about the same size and I think the ergonomics are good, different, but appear to be excellent for their size, I am pondering blade shapes.

The blade shapes so different that I am unsure about their respective suitability for EDC tasks. Do I get more effective edge length with the Rhino? Is the Rhino's big sweeping belly as suitable for everyday tasks (I’m certain it will skin like a demon, but I won’t be skinning anything any more)? How useable is the Rhino's point? I am a Dragonfly experienced user, so I’m familiar with that blade shape, but not that of the Rhino. And the non-locking UKPK fine. Don’t really need a lock on a small, edc knife anyway.

I would appreciate any insight and experience from Rhino users. Thanks.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
SG89

Re: Blade shape conundrum - Rhino; Lil' Native; UKPK

Post by SG89 »

Lil native comp lock: ticks all the boxes for my edc needs
Rhino: currently fits my "gentleman's knife" category
UKPK leaf: used to absolutely love it, so very useful, one of my favorite blade shapes, ultimately I missed having a lock so I sold it
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

The rhino is different. It's a three finger grip, the tip is very functional and you can poke and slice easy enough. You just have to get used to poking at a different angle than you would with say a dfly. It's great for slicing cardboard, and if you use your wrist a little and change your angle of attack as you go along the curve of the blade you do seem to get the benefit of a little more blade length. I'm enjoying mine a lot, took it to work today. It looks very classy as well. They do nice work in Taichung, the Rhino is my first from them.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Looking at these three knives, I have some observations: 1] I greatly prefer the current Urban LW to the UKPK as a general rule, though the drop point blade on one version of the UKPK would be better as a small game knife. 2] For me, the Lil Native is too thick for such a small knife. The blade is over thick. The cutting edge is very short for the size of the knife. I greatly prefer the Chaparral LW with that wonderfully thin, slicey blade and longer cutting edge, while still being a small knife. . I would choose the back lock version of the Lil Native were I to get one (and I might). 3] I have not handled the Rhino, though it is pretty cool. I think the upswept tip would take some getting used to, and there are things a straighter blade would be better at doing in everyday chores.

These are my opinions and they work for me, but I reserve the right to change them, especially with the Rhino.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I'm going through the same dilemma Michael. I'll be curious to hear what you end up with.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
elena86

Post by elena86 »

MichaelScott wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:25 pm
In my slow, ongoing project to transition to small folders I have been thinking about "upgrading" from a Delica to a more modern design. The knives that have my interest are the Lil' Native, UKPK, and the Rhino. Given that they are about the same size and I think the ergonomics are good, different, but appear to be excellent for their size, I am pondering blade shapes.

The blade shapes so different that I am unsure about their respective suitability for EDC tasks. Do I get more effective edge length with the Rhino? Is the Rhino's big sweeping belly as suitable for everyday tasks (I’m certain it will skin like a demon, but I won’t be skinning anything any more)? How useable is the Rhino's point? I am a Dragonfly experienced user, so I’m familiar with that blade shape, but not that of the Rhino. And the non-locking UKPK fine. Don’t really need a lock on a small, edc knife anyway.

I would appreciate any insight and experience from Rhino users. Thanks.

There is some confusion here. UKPK is a 3 incher so I would rather compare the Urban to the other two. I have no love for the Lil'Native, it is overbuilt for what it is but the Rhino might become a strong competitor against my beloved K390 Urban. Both blade shapes are quite instrumental from case to case so...to each his own.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
SG89

Post by SG89 »

elena86 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:29 am
I have no love for the Lil'Native, it is overbuilt for what it is but the Rhino might become a strong competitor against my beloved K390 Urban.
Here's a side by side view of the Rhino and Lil Native...look pretty similarly built to me, not overbuilt for what they are.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

https://youtu.be/352jEUoAY2g
I saw that interesting video of the Rhino which helped to clarify its differences and potential uses. It appears to have more handle than the Lil’ Native and a somewhat thinner blade, perhaps not much, appearances can be deceiving.

As to the Lil’ Native being overbuilt, I’d have to agree that it and the Rhino seem about the same. Neither being overbuilt unless the Dragonfly is used for comparison, and the Dragonfly and Rhino/Lil’ Native are very different knife designs.

Thanks for the comparison photo.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

StuntZombie wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:13 am
I'm going through the same dilemma Michael. I'll be curious to hear what you end up with.
I ordered a UKPK from SFO. I remain interested in the Rhino. I think it would be a more useable tool for me than my PM2. I am heading toward my Dragonfly, One-Eyed Jack, UKPN and a Rhino as my inventory. Can’t really call four knives a collection but they will be my stable of users.

Team Innovation
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Is there a reason you’re not considering the Chaparral LW?

While the G-10 slab construction can work on a small folder it really can’t compete with an FRN design.
Termite Toothpick

Post by Termite Toothpick »

I would also suggest the Chaparral LW as another option. That little blade is such a slicer and very useful EDC.
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I have, and like, a Dragonfly, which has better ergonomics for me than the Chaparral lightweight, and a thin sharp blade about the same size. The UKPK will replace the Delica as a better design in my opinion.

Team Innovation
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

I've headed towards smaller knives too.

I have a comp lock Lil Native and a Rhino. You would not be disappointed to own either. They are quite different, but both very good examples of small usable blades. I know some people will say they're both over built, but I like having a small knife with steel liners that I know I can use pretty hard. You're not gonna cut transparent slices of tomato with either of them because they are both kind of chunky. There's something about the Rhino that's especially fresh in the Spyderco lineup. It's just a really neat little folder with a strange looking handle that feels really nice in hand. The Lil Native is more like a Lil Shaman, with the thick blade stock. It has more classic ergos that have made the Native series so revered.

Why not both?
elena86

Post by elena86 »

For me, Rhino is superior to Lil'Native for two reasons : it's thinner behind the edge and has a longer cutting edge.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I am also getting a Rhino. I think it will suit me a bit better than the lil’ Native and I like the design better. I’ll be selling off my larger knives and sticking with my small collection of small users. “You’re killing me, Smalls!”

Don’t quite know where that one came from...

Team Innovation
benben

Post by benben »

MichaelScott wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:03 pm
I am also getting a Rhino. I think it will suit me a bit better than the lil’ Native and I like the design better. I’ll be selling off my larger knives and sticking with my small collection of small users. “You’re killing me, Smalls!”

Don’t quite know where that one came from...

If you're referring to that quote? It came from the best movie ever made......The Sandlot! :D
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Well, that was tongue in cheek. Did you see the 25 year cast reunion? I caught a smidgen. Great movie!

I have ordered a UKPK to replace my Delica and a Reinhold Rhino to replace my PM2. I should be set for user carry knives for some time. I am looking forward to using the Rhino, it is such a different design than what I am accustomed to. I have read so many good things about the UKPK that I’m sure I will like it too.

Team Innovation
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

MichaelScott wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:02 pm
I ordered a UKPK from SFO....
Which UKPK did you go with?
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

The BD1N. I have little experience with exotic steels. I’ve had the basics: VG10, S30v and the Italian steel in the Roadie. Those have served me well, I can sharpen them pretty well and their cost is in line with my budget. I like the blade size and shape of the UKPK. I believe it will be a small upgrade from my Delica.

Team Innovation
Hobnob

Post by Hobnob »

So are the UKPK's now shipping from SFO with the BD1N? I knew about the rolling change in steel, but wasn't sure if it had already started. I think you made a great choice. My UKPK BD1 is my main EDC. May have to pull the trigger on the upgraded steel.